Options

Resume content

BryanM67BryanM67 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am a former mainframe COBOL programmer but after the exodus of programming jobs overseas, I decided to go back to school and work on another IT discipline - networking. I have finished all the Cisco Network Academy classes for CCNA and almost done with the Network Security Class. I expect to take the last CCNA exam (ICND) on the 19th and feel confident about it.

But I want to start thinking about how to write my resume. I already have a BBA degree in IT (from 1990). My programming years were 1990 - 2001. Since 2001 I have been working non-IT jobs to make ends meet. I have been going to school part-time (while working full-time) since 2003 to "retool". But I only working on certs (since I already have a degree).

Right now about 2/3rds of my resume has my previous IT (programming related) jobs listed. But I wonder if I need to change my resume to this format:

OBJECTIVE
CERTIFICATIONS (have A+, will have CCNA completed too when resume goes out)
HANDS ON EXPERIENCE (list routers/switches I have worked on at school)
EDUCATION
EXPERIENCE (reduce emphasis since no networking experience is listed)

Any feedback would be appreciated. Would especially like opinions on how I present the hands on experience from school. Does it make a difference to potential employers whether I configured a specific router at school? Or do they only care about on-the-job experience?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    You need to list your major experience and qualifications after the objective. HR people need to sort hundreds of resumes per day, and they may spend no more than 20-30 seconds looking at any resume in trying to determine if you have the skills and experience they are looking for. You want to help them out as much as possible in determining if you are worth interviewing.

I have the following headings on my resume:

OBJECTIVE
    SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
    EMPLOYMENT HISTORY
    EDUCATION
    CERTIFICATIONS
    PUBLICATIONS
    ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
  • Options
    jim_staszjim_stasz Member Posts: 123
    I have on mine...

Objective