Scheduled SANS GCIA

chaser7783chaser7783 Member Posts: 154
The time has come for me to finally sit the exam. I have passed both practice test, and there is no need to keep putting the exam off. I have my books fully indexed, and all paper work I believe will be helpful(IP headers and command line options for tools). By this time tomorrow I hope to have passed my first SANS certs icon_cool.gif.

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    chaser7783 wrote: »
    The time has come
    Amen! Good luck!
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • azmattazmatt Member Posts: 114
    Good luck!!!! I'm taking the course in a few weeks so I'm eagerly awaiting your post test thoughts :)
  • chaser7783chaser7783 Member Posts: 154
    Well I passed!icon_cheers.gif. This was a fun exam to take, and requires you to have a solid grasp on what is going on. I was really nervous b/c I forgot to print out the IP protocol list, but luckily was only asked a few quetions on what IP proto was being used after you decoded it. I'm also lucky because we use snort, tcpdump, and wireshark/tshark daily at work, and I am constantly looking at payload,tuning rules or the snorf.conf file.

If you read the book cover to cover, index well, and print out the different headers(IP/TCP/UDp, etc) you should do fine on this test.
    I would also recommend this test to anyone currently in a network security analyst roles or those looking to break into the field. The concepts covered in the book will help give you a solid foundation and sharpen current skills.

Now to finish WGU term, and set sights on GWAPT.
  • azmattazmatt Member Posts: 114
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Congratulations on the pass. I like the content of this course and would like to pursue this exam sometime next year!
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Excellent, congratulations!
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The GCIA is a good exam. If you were already working with Snort and tcpdump at work on a daily basis, you had a great advantage going in.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/