Options

Blogging

dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
For those of you that blog, where do you find the time? One of my co-worker mentioned I should start blogging about all the different "what-if" design scenarios we talk about daily, but it seems like a lot of time and effort involved.
2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
"Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman

Comments

• Options
    zmoney14zmoney14 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm curious about the same thing. I wanted to start a blog along the lines of How are you using IT, but could never find the time and my other IT associates just didn't seem interested.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Surprisingly, it doesn't really take as much commitment as you would think. I spend about one or two hours per week on it. Coming up with topics of interest is the toughest part. I blog for an industry organization so I have a lot more support when it comes to editing, posting, etc - I don't have to do any of the administration other than content generation.

So if you are doing it on your own, it may take a bit more effort like setting up and administration of the site.

BTW - TE has a blog section - maybe you can start here if you want to dip your toe.
  • Options
    wdwiz4wdwiz4 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When I use to blog, I would do it during work hours. Bosses didn't mind since most of the information was for the students we were assisting.
  • Options
    @Paul78,

Completely missed the TE blog section. Poked around a bit and it looks like admin needs to give you right to blog.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I had about 8 pages of blog on the TE site for VCP5 but we never got out of testing. My wordpress blog is slow going because I'm doing lots of screenscrapes and lab demos. Probably takes me a couple hours per post. Works knocking me out right now plus my new daughter. No time for that stuff.
  • Options
    dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    It is a combination of time and coming up with creative entries as to why my blog has little content.
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I used to type in ms office onenote on my train-ride home then one night a week i would post it on my blogspot account that night or one night.
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    I have a list of interesting (to me) problems I have run into and the solutions that I want to blog about, but so far I have done almost nothing to actually make that happen. Knowing me, I will get distracted setting up Joomla or some other program that is complete overkill for this and have a blast, but the content will be slow to come.

As for the content, I don't think it will take that much time since I am basically just documenting things I do at work: I take notes, copy links, **** it all into Evernote and then will just make it a little more coherent when I am ready to actually post it.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    Looks like I'm moving forward with blogging. Found a partner willing to take care of the admin stuff and contribute content. I'm going to focus on design ideas that are not well documented, challenge outdated best practices, evils of SSO, etc.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think the best way to get into it is make it routine. I made a rule at one point (haven't had much time lately to post) that if I learned anything relevant to the CCIE I'd post. As a result I was posting a LOT within a couple of months. It didn't seem like it was time consuming at the time, but it can be, especially if you draw up diagrams and lab things out for the post.

As a side note, I recently was having a conversation with a TE member about a bug I encountered, and couldn't find any vendor documentation on it, and discovered I had posted about the bug- he was able to reference that which helped him..kind of cool!