CCNP Data Center: Designing or Troubleshooting

HaswellHaswell Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am looking to get my CCNP Data Center and I am lost with path I should down. Should I take the two Designing exams or the two Troubleshooting exams?

Our data center is already designed we just need more people to administer it. The thing is, I don't know how long I will be staying here. If I were to take the design exams would I be able to provide troubleshooting?

Comments

• QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I'm a work in the now kind of guy. Troubleshooting directly benefits you now. Study up designs after you can successfully troubleshoot because I feel that requires more fundamental understandings of the technologies. Once you understand it, then you can design better because you know what works and what doesn't.
  • HaswellHaswell Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    Agree, troubleshoot first, design second. Knowing how it works and how to fix problems is fundamental in designing IMO.
  • Network_EngineerNetwork_Engineer Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In my opinion, troubleshooting will hold more value long term, as you can apply the knowledge more frequently when issues arise. I will be pursuing the troubleshooting exams. I would only go design if you are in a current network design position, such as lead network design engineer.
  • d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    In my opinion, troubleshooting will hold more value long term, as you can apply the knowledge more frequently when issues arise. I will be pursuing the troubleshooting exams. I would only go design if you are in a current network design position, such as lead network design engineer.

In other words: Just go for design if you don't touch it on a regular basis.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    It's a tough call, I did the Design exam as part of my CCNP: Data Center, but I am seriously considering taking the troubleshooting exams this year at Live, since they are 50% off at the event.

The only reason I opt-ed for the design exams was because I always a big fan of network design. Troubleshooting processes usually come with experience and can vary based on the environment.

Design however has a lot of little gotchas, especially with NX-OS and UCS , knowing the different N7k modules and the features/functionality/limitations is a battle in itself. (Maybe less of problem nowadays since we have F3 modules, but once you start mixing M & F modules there are some caveats worth knowing). UCS on the other hand has different blades for the B Chassis and stand alone C-servers. I haven't been a server guy in years so getting back into that mind-set was tougher for me.

Anyway just my opinion/2cents.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Network_EngineerNetwork_Engineer Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How often do you purchase new Nexus or UCS? Major designs are done during implementations. Depends if you are a consulant or resident engineer to forecast your future of potential designs. TS will provide immediate return. Design is a maybe depending on new hardware or major architecture redesign.