The major differences managing infrastructure projects over service projects

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Or business development for that matter.

What are the high level risk associated with transitioning into a different realm of PM? Any real world experience? Currently I am an operational manager/project manager ( I do both). Currently both in the realm of service management. I'm interested getting into infrastructure project management eventually.

Any opinions or advice would be great.

Comments

• ThackFaugstadThackFaugstad Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been an IT Infrastructure engineer for over ten years now professionally (much longer scholastically). Part of my job has always been PM as a second hat (throw in security as a third hat since no one ever wants either on infrastructure's side of the house). The prevalent hiring I see in my area (Cedar Rapids / Iowa City, Iowa) is one of a dev side PM. Inf. side is usually handled by Dev PM's or Engineers. This has led to a LARGE percentage of project failure and or sub-par products and projects from what I have seen.
    That being said, I am currently working as a TPM in a DB/Web PM. It was a major switch but the same methodologies apply. A lot of common sense and communication. I would love to see Infrastructure PMing become a more widely used role, but it seems to be taking off more slowly. Infrastructure can be extremely rewarding and has great people to work with. If you want to move in that direction, I wish you the best. The engineers will be wary of you though since most TPM's really just ruin Inf. projects through lack of knowledge.
    My recommendations would be to:
    1. find a niche that companies need in your area.
    2. Study and get certified in the actual work (A+, MCSE, CCNA, etc...) you will then know the language, much of the skills and tasks and be able to vastly better communicate with your teams. It will also make puting together your complete project management plan immensely easier and lend credibility to you.
    3. Become a member of PMI or some other PM club in your area and make those connections. Odds are, having an inf. specific PM may be overlooked in their organization and you can grow your own position.

The risks are minimal. I think with a dev and inf background - you are far more marketable. Just be prepared to have a smaller pool of jobs in the inf. arena. (but also far fewer competitors).

Anyone see this in their area or is it just in my little corner of the universe?