Options

MTA 98-365...done!

SerphMxSerphMx Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone!

I've been visiting this helpful forums weeks ago,looking for information about MTA Certifications and experiencies from people who already took these exams.I had been self-studying a lot the last weeks for the 98-365 exam and yesterday was my test (I scheduled my exam in Prometic BTW).

Well,now that I passed the exam (yay!) I'm here to share some thoughts about it:

-Firstable I want to say that my skills using Windows Server were extremely basic,general knowledge about the OS,but all theorical knowledge,no practical or experience. This MTA exam fit my profile as a student who wants to have a basic understanding of Windows Server.

-The prep material that I used was the Microsoft Offical Academic Course from Wiley as a recommendation I found here. The material was pretty straight forward,the content covers much of the basic knowledge you must have to take the exam.It includes concepts and definitions of everything involving Windows Server and Infraestructure and exercises to practice using a VM so you can understand completely the topics.

-The Microsoft 98-365 Study Guide works as well to help you understand real scenarios involving setup and configuring Windows Server,Active Directory,Services,DNS,etc.It was really easy and honestly,some answer options of the questions are a joke and you can find out quick which is the right answer.

-Also I found some sample questions around the internet to know what kind of questions are in the exam.Some of them were more difficult than the real exam,but it's worth the shot.

I developed this resources mentioned above in like 3 weeks...tops,including some practice exercises.I took the exam yesterday.My score was 75/100 (lower than expected), I think I should have take it in English instead of Spanish,the translations were kinda weird. Anyway, I think it was a decent score for a guy like me who never touched a server before.:D

I'm really starting to like the MTA certifications.Like it is mention here at the forums,maybe it won't appear attractive for IT hunters but it is a great morale boost and gives you the motivation to keep studying for more complex exams.I'm planning to study for MTA Security or Networking or maybe I will go big and take the 70-410. I have to save some money first so in the meantime I will keep practicing and improving my WS skills.

Hope this helps for those who want to take this exam and are looking for some valuable information and I encourage you to embrace the challenge,don't be afraid and go for a IT certification!

Comments

• Options
    CoolMikeCoolMike Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Serph,

First and foremost, congrats.

I've been eyeballing some cheaper, easier or more time efficient exams lately since im planning on changing jobs in the next few months and moving. Would you say the MTA's you have taken are relatively easy and quick as well as cheap? (Their like 60$ arent they?)
  • Options
    SerphMxSerphMx Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CoolMike wrote: »
    Hey Serph,

First and foremost, congrats.

I've been eyeballing some cheaper, easier or more time efficient exams lately since im planning on changing jobs in the next few months and moving. Would you say the MTA's you have taken are relatively easy and quick as well as cheap? (Their like 60$ arent they?)

Hi CoolMike!

Yes,the exam is cheap (and according to Prometic the rest of MTA exams have the same price: $60-$80 USD) and like the official site says, it is recommended to students or people who want a deep understanding in the basics of Windows Server.I believe this will help me to get an entry level job or trainee position but I don't expect a bigger-high-paid job.Saying that the exam is easy is relative to me,but the resources I found to study helped me a lot so I could learn the topics pretty quick and practice the exercises.

Like I said,the exam is straight-forward,they ask you to identify essential concepts from Windows Server,if you understand the topics in the official prep book and its concepts,you are good to go.

Hope this post has helped you.