Options

Train signal better then cbt nugget?

I'd like to subscribe to either cbt nuggets or trainsignal, I was going to go a trade school, but this may be a way cheaper investment for me. I watched a couple cbt nugget videos on exchange 2010, however they didn't really start from the ground up, does trainsignal go more in depth?

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I like them both equally. However, TrainSignal is literally half the cost. I'd go TrainSignal.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I haven't looked at the Train Signal for Exchange but their videos for Small Business Server didn't start from the beginning either. It assumed alot of prior knowledge. I'd suggest you get book and get the basics down before going through the CBTs.. but in saying that, most of the reviews for Exchange 2010 books have poor reviews.
  • Options
    w00tw00t Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have recently subscribed to CBT nuggets and it works very well for me. I started the Exchange 2010 Nugget series and it helped tremendously. It does seem to need some basic or prior knowledge of Windows Server and Exchange experience which you may not have yet. I haven't checked out trainsignal yet so I am not able to compare.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I must say it depends on the topic .. Some CBT Nuggets fell short in some areas where in different topics, Train Signal did .. If you can afford it, get both, if not then maybe try to find samples of either on youtube or reviews of specific courses.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    I was able to watch some exchange 2010 videos of trainsignal and they seem to go more in depth
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    I thought the CCNA and Linux+ videos were terrible on trainsignal. It was a small sample size, I only watched a couple videos in each series. I absolutely loved the CCNA CBT nuggets and have watched all of those videos. Maybe it's just because Jeremy has some strange aura that makes me really want to learn networking when I turn on one of his videos
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The CCNP videos with CBT nuggets are not near as good as the CCNP INE videos. I listed to both sets extensively.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    Its all subscription based now so I'd recommend trying one for a month or two then switching. That way you can find out which one suits your learning style and your content needs.

My personal opinion is that cbt nuggets release content and updates faster but is the more pricey of the two.
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm a fan of CBT Nuggets but have not used Train Signal so I can't comment. I found in the early nuggets it seemed to depend on the trainer doing the videos. The company has come a long way & the product they produce now is pretty solid right across the board. Well worth the 99 bucks in my opinion.

@Krjay. I recently watched the new CCNA series with Jeremy and I felt the same way. The guy makes you want to learn network. You can tell he's passionate about it. Watch the one about how he got into the field & the path he took to get into CISCO. I like the trainers but I really like Jeremy and James Conrad.

FYI. With CBT Nuggets you can try them for $24 dollars for 24 hours. Prior to getting a subscription I'd do that when I needed that "talk the talk, walk the walk" thing before a big meeting.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have used CBT nuggets for most of my studies and now i am using trainsignal for my next exam and in my opinion i am not seeing any difference as long as they cover the required objectives for exam that can make me pass then i am happy, the important thing is to know what you are studying that's it, in my opinion it does not matter they all teach same thing with the same objectives and they all prepare for same exam, any of the will do if you not sure you can use both.
  • Options
    extriquekextriquek Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm going to have to look into them as well.
  • Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    I sense there are more test takers passing using CBT Nuggets than Trainsignal. It is an impression formed by reading multitude of posts over the past couple years. Myself? ... I'm using Trainsignal because of it is the right price point for educating myself in technical areas outside my usual responsibilities and interests.
  • Options
    tbhoustontbhouston Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CBT nuggets trainer Jeremy Cioara's passion and love for the topic gets me fired up to do nuggets.. he always has high energy, which helps when you hit a slump in your training and want to quit
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I love CBT Nuggets, don't get me wrong. But one thing to consider about TrainSignal is that they were purchased by PluralSight so in the near future having a PluralSight subscription, which is $29 US, is going to get you access to a ton of content. All of the material from TrainSignal plus very advanced material on things like SQL Server, SharePoint, and development technologies like Python, JavaScript, Android, iPhone development and DevOps focused topics like Agile project management, Git, TFS, and Unit Testing.

And don't forget PowerShell. They have a ton of highly practical material on PowerShell, from writing your own tools to admin on Windows, SQL Server, and SharePoint

$29 bucks a month...

http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/92122-pluralsight-aquires-trainsignal-peepcode.html
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't tried CBT Nuggets, but I am currently watching Train Signal's CCNP ROUTE Videos.

PROS:

1) Price: CBT Nuggets and INE both want $99/month. Train Signal is half that. Even better if it goes down due to the new ownership.

NEUTRALS:

1) Course Selection: Train Signal has a decent selection of courses, but not anywhere near what CBT Nuggets has. INE [a third option] whom I used for CCNA, seems to be Cisco Only which is fine if you're only interested in Cisco.

CONS:

1) Too Much Review: It would seem reasonable to expect that someone studying for their CCNP would have at least a CCNA Level understanding of EIGRP and OSPF. If not, perhaps a better option would be a short review series to bring them up to speed instead of spending so much time reviewing CCNA level EIGRP and OSPF topics like Feasible Distance vs. Advertised Distance, the Feasibility Condition, Basic OSPF, etc...

2) Too Much Duplication: The Implementation Planning Videos for EIGRP and OSPF are nearly identical, save for a few specifics like the AD of the respective protocols (90 vs. 110). Wouldn't it make more since to merge them into a single general implementation planning video? Same goes [to a lesser degree] for the OSPF and EIGRP Troubleshooting videos. Alot of overlap. They'd be better merged into a single "Troubleshooting IGPs" Video.

Of course, both of these Cons (particularly the first) are also present in my CCNP ROUTE Book. So, it could be a pervasive issue.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    clouderclouder Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CBT Nuggets are pretty good. I used them exclusively on the 70-411 and 412 exams, as there were no good books at the time. I also used them for CISSP, VCP5-DCV, Sec+, and ITIL. They have gotten better over time, as previously mentioned. I haven't used Train Signal, so I can't speak to their products.
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like CBT because Jeremy is a master at making technology fun and enjoyable :)
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am glad this stuff went subscription based because before I would just suggest saving your money for an exam retake and still have money left over lol.