Want something to reinforce College Classes.

VIDEODROMEVIDEODROME Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am in an Associates program for Cyber Security. I have been through courses that could be considered prep for things like Comptia A+ or even Microsoft. I should have gone for Certification right after some of these classes but I delayed it because I was also tackling work for a Cyber Defense team I was on that consumed huge amounts of my spare time.

I have decided to shift focus and start tackling CompTIA A+. What I'm looking for is a good book that is not unecessarly verbose like so many College Text books seem to be. I also want good practice tests to simply drill for CompTIA and help me refresh on the material.

From what I've read, it seems like Exam Cram is what would work for my situation and seems reasonably priced. Just thought I'd get a second opinion or recommendations of specific Editions or package deals.

Otherwise, I need to decide if I can squeeze in the 700 series before the end of August or get a study kit for the 800 series.

Comments

• TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used the sybex offical study guide for all of my CompTia certs. They weren't overly technical/verbose, and provided practice quiz's. Also, comes with a .PDF version of the book, as well as practice exams.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I'd be hesitant clicking on that above link, since the person just joined....
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great movie, love James Woods.

Anyway just curious why you didn't pivot into security +? It seems to be required for a lot of security jobs and I'm assuming a lot of what you learned would snap into the certification.

I usually watch CBT's like Professor Messer or Pluralsight.... With that said, I used the exam cram book back in the day.