CCIE or CISSP

silentzerosilentzero Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am at a crossroads and was looking for some advice from all you seasoned pro's. I am currently a network security architect, and looking to take my next step on the cert path. I have been studying for the CCIE written for about a month now (started immediately after finishing the CCNP), and I know this path is a long one, and I have been having doubts as to my direction.

I have been contemplating taking the CISSP exam for over a year now, and am curious as if it would be a stronger positive on my CV in the near term, then going after the CCIE (the long term goal). Just curious on thoughts here. Thank you so very much!

Comments

• YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Comparatively these are apples and oranges, of course. If you are strictly applying for security-related roles, I would assume the CISSP would be a better bargaining chip than a certification based on routing and switching. My two cents.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    If you just completed the CCNP, then you'd most likely be going for the CCIE:R&S. Is that the case?

The CCIE:R&S is often in the neighborhood of 1,000+ hours of study beyond the CCNP. I started prepping at the end of March this year, and it could be late 2014 before I'm ready for the lab.

I studied for a month to clear the CISSP.

Now, if you're looking for Security jobs, many job postings will ask for the CISSP, so that may have more general utility for you.

Maybe you have considered all of this.

If you are worn out now, though, then I don't know what to tell you. You do even more reading and labbing to prepare for the lab than you did for the written.

If your brain is truly burned out, then the CISSP should be a lot easier for you.

If not that, try the Design track. Your title does say "Architect".
    If not that, try the NP-Security track.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The CISSP is a mid-range goal, and the CCIE is long term goal. Why not do both?
  • silentzerosilentzero Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, I started prepping for the R&S, and I know how long the process is in terms of prep...which is quite daunting honestly , and its starting to hit home. I was thinking that I could study for 4-6 months for the CISSP to clear it, since I have previous experience in multiple domains, and then focus on the long haul of CCIE prep. I am quite comfy in my position now, however I know how much the CISSP is worth to potential employers, so in the meantime it might be nice to have. I am trying to avoid the "policy" positions as much as possible as I love the design and operations side of things. Thanks for the replies, especially instant000, a great help!
  • silentzerosilentzero Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    The CISSP is a mid-range goal, and the CCIE is long term goal. Why not do both?

Love this reply! Yes indeed, my goal is to do both, its just prioritizing that is getting me all messed up haha
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    silentzero:

One thing I would do is something rather simple:

1. Decide what you want to be doing 5 to 10 years from now.
    2. Make a list of all the certifications you think you would ever want to get, that you *think* would get you there
    3. Do a search, seeing how much jobs with those certs pay (Yes, there will be some variants, but you should be able to realize an average.)
    4. Then, come back, and next to each of those certs, add these two fields:
    (a) how many "hits" came up for them in your job search board
    (b) what the average pay was
    5. Now, armed with some data, begin working towards your goals
    6. Recheck the numbers once every six months. :D
    7. If a new cert comes out that appears particularly focused on what you like to do (as well as marketable) then go for it.

I hope this helps you. I did the numbers myself, and it helped me realize that some things would be helpful, and others would be less helpful.

My spreadsheet included these fields:
    Certification: the name of the cert
    Tier: I tiered the certs based on pay, (in my tier, the larger number is better, unlike school rankings) 1, 2, 3. CCNA is Tier 1, CCNP is Tier 2, and CCIE is Tier 3. These tiers are based on average pay, not difficulty. maybe I need to revise my tiers?
    Number of Jobs: Number of jobs shown in a Monster search
    Study Time: Short, Medium, Long, or Extremely Long
    Number of Tests: (some certs take 5 tests to get, like CCNP:Voice)
    Average Salary: some certs are on 80K jobs, some certs are on 100K jobs

Your spreadsheet might contain other information.

If you are comparing two certs with similar pay, and one takes a REALLY long to get, and the other takes a considerably shorter time to get, and both have lots of jobs available at similar pay, you can choose appropriately.

You don't have to worry about the CISSP slotting you into a policy job, unless that is something you want to do.

If you're at a position where you can choose between very marketable certs, you're in a good position.

MRock gave sound advice: try one in the medium term, while looking forward to the other one long term.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Both are very good but different certs. If it were me, and the CISSP can be completed in 1-2 months like the OP said, then i would do CISSP first. Then once completed, continue on with your CCIE.

CCIE is a long term goal.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    I was always under the impression that the CISSP was an upper-tier certification. Is this not the case?
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It is an upper level security cert for management types. Very different Thant the CCIE.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It's like comparing a medical degree (CCIE) to a law degree (CISSP). Both are upper-tier in their own fields, but very different degrees and how they are achieved.
  • badrottiebadrottie Member Posts: 116
    From my perspective as someone who specializes in information security governance, risk and compliance:

The CCIE is well recognized as an apex certification for networking
    The CISSP is well recognized as an apex certification for information security

There is nothing wrong with having both, even if all you want to do is work in the networking sphere. It will only add to your marketability and credibility as a professional. You may even learn a few things in the process of preparing for the CISSP that might change how you wish to develop your career. Stranger things have been known to happen :D
  • thetrillionairethetrillionaire Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have actually been in a CISSP bootcamp all this week, the CISSP is geared towards Management of Security. The CISSP would developthe Security policy and the CCIE Security would make the technical architecture fit that policy. I took a week out of my CCIE studies to focus on this and it can see the value of this certification for management types there is not much technical knowledge needed to past this test. But why not do both after you obtain your CCIE go after the CISSP it wont hurt anything.
  • 010101010101 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For what it's worth, I spent 13 months on my CISSP and I've been doing network security and pentesting for over a decade.
    Probably in total around 800 hours.
    The CCIE, assuming you're CCNP level is around 1200-1500 hours.

• maxpowersmaxpowers Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Buddy
    Just read that and sounds nice :)
    I'm currently doing the ccna security nad enjoying it, then ccda + ccdp so I can call myself an architect :P Nah just kidding. I've got CCNP R/S and I really really enjoyed it, took me a long time mind you. CCIE is also a long term goal for me, but looking at the CISSP and especially the topics it kind of seems "relaxing" in comparison to what I had been looking at IE level.
  • Mirza mamoorMirza mamoor Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CCIE(security) is an Expert Level Certification by Cisco for handling CISCO Internetworking Security devices like ASA Firewall ,PIX & Security Settings of Routers.
    CISSP is Theoretical Certification which you can only get,if you have 5 years of experience in any IT Security related field,its Vendor newtral.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is an old thread. No need to bring it back.