Early CPU ?

navigatorrsnavigatorrs Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Do i need to know about early cpu? Like the 8086,8088,80286,i80386sx,80486 . I know all the cpu sockets and pins from the first pentium till present. Is that good enough for the hardware test?

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    It's good to know about the history of hardware if you plan on working in the industry. Not giving you a generic answer, but the more you know about how the technologies developed, the better at troubleshooting you will become moving forward.

Would I put a lot of effort into studying it? Not weeks of study time, no, but I would get myself familar with it if I didn't know about it.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • navigatorrsnavigatorrs Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im currently doing a internship at a local computer repair shop and i do see a lot of older hardware come in to be repaired. Thanks for the advice , i'll put some time into studying the older technology as well as the new stuff. :)
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I think you will find for the exam that you will want to concentrate most on the technologies that support the OSs that are tested. If it meets the minimums, probably where you can draw your line.

I like finding older boxes and booting them, so it is fun to see just how much you can 'make work' on the older boxes.

Enjoy your time :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • zebra-3zebra-3 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I only had one question about CPU
    had to tell which socket AMD XP+ Athlon uses, I had the choice with 4 sockets.
    be careful ! Socket A was not listed as an answer !!!!!
  • navigatorrsnavigatorrs Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the help :D