Passed GCIH today

YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hi all,

As the title indicates, I passed the GCIH this afternoon - I scored a 90%. Definitely not l337, but I'm not disappointed with it either. The SEC504 course is a fun track.

I have been doing Incident Handling for about 8 months so that was a huge leg up; a lot of what we see day-to-day is included in the material for the SEC504 course. Which speaks to the ability of Ed Skoudis to keep things current.

In preparation I attended the SEC504 course taught by Kevin Fiscus in San Francisco this month. After attending the bootcamp I studied my weak areas while creating an index but did not go overboard like I did with the GSEC; re-reading every single word from every single book and burning myself out.

Next up - Sort of a mixed bag. I would really like to attend the FOR408 class in-person when SANS comes to Scottsdale in February, so that's something to keep my eye on. I hope to attend with the Work Study program. I recently bought TCP/IP Illustrated (1st edition) and I'm excited to immerse myself in one of the 'bibles' of TCP/IP. Other than that I will keep moving through my Python studies and hold off on any certification goals until after I hear back about FOR408.

Additionally, I still have one GCIH practice exam available and will give it to the first person who PM's me with their SANS account ID. As always, thanks to everyone for the support here. This forum is a great resource and a large part of the my career's success is because of the community TE offers.

Comments

• azmattazmatt Member Posts: 114
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Congrats !

I am also planning the 408 this October. Have applied for the Work Study ! Hoping for the best. I did the GSEC and GCIH classes. Exams pending. GCIH on the 9th of September.
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats, well done!
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Yes, congratulations! icon_cheers.gif

504 is the next SANS class I hope to take too.
  • TBRAYSTBRAYS Member Posts: 267
    My company is sending me to a FOR408 course, the first one that becomes available in 2014. I'm definitely excited!
    Bachelors of Science in Technical Management - Devry University
    Masters of Information Systems Management with Enterprise Information Security - Walden University
    Masters of Science in Information Assurance - Western Governors University
    Masters of Science Cyber Security/Digital Forensics - University of South Florida
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks all - Also, the GCIH practice exam has been given away.
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    If you have passed your practice tests with 87% I think you are good to go !

If you have done that without the course and the material then great ! icon_thumright.gif
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• bkhayesbkhayes Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
    YFZblu wrote: »
    Hi all,

As the title indicates, I passed the GCIH this afternoon - I scored a 90%. Definitely not l337, but I'm not disappointed with it either. The SEC504 course is a fun track.

I have been doing Incident Handling for about 8 months so that was a huge leg up; a lot of what we see day-to-day is included in the material for the SEC504 course. Which speaks to the ability of Ed Skoudis to keep things current.

In preparation I attended the SEC504 course taught by Kevin Fiscus in San Francisco this month. After attending the bootcamp I studied my weak areas while creating an index but did not go overboard like I did with the GSEC; re-reading every single word from every single book and burning myself out.

Next up - Sort of a mixed bag. I would really like to attend the FOR408 class in-person when SANS comes to Scottsdale in February, so that's something to keep my eye on. I hope to attend with the Work Study program. I recently bought TCP/IP Illustrated (1st edition) and I'm excited to immerse myself in one of the 'bibles' of TCP/IP. Other than that I will keep moving through my Python studies and hold off on any certification goals until after I hear back about FOR408.

Additionally, I still have one GCIH practice exam available and will give it to the first person who PM's me with their SANS account ID. As always, thanks to everyone for the support here. This forum is a great resource and a large part of the my career's success is because of the community TE offers.

Just a question. i have signed up to take the 6 day class in march. i heard that they use Linux Commands and that they use linux in the training. do you remember which version of Linux that was used in the class? Ubuntu? Redhat? Debian? i'm just trying to prepare myself for this course.