Options

VMware Player and VirtualBox which is better to learn ?

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
VMware Player and VirtualBox which is better to use an learn.
On Wednesday of last week i took the plunge and installed VM ware on my Laptop so I could install Ubuntu 13.04.
I wanted to check out this Virtualzation thing as well as try to learn Linux. VMware player would not work with my Windows 8 media pro system no mater how many times I tried. So after two frustrating days I decided to switch gears and install Virtual Box. Ubuntu would not work for some reason but Fedora 19 installed like a charm.

I was wanting to know if any community members have used either of these programs and what they thought of them. I know there are Virtualzation certifications out there and at some point I may invest the time into them but for the time being I am trying to get my Cisco certifications done.

Let me know what you think ?

mgmguy1
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    None of these products is sophisticated enough to actually "learn".
    VMWare Player and Workstation won't work on your machine if you have Hyper-V enabled.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If your aim is to work on non-virtualization certs for now, then go with whatever's easier to configure. You dont want to spend hours/days tryin' to get the damn software working, just go with whatever floats your boat, for now at least.

Once you start focussing on virtualization certs, then go with either Hyper-v or vSphere.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    vsphere is probably the most complex and seems to be lightweight when I installed it, seems like that one has one of the most steep learning curves
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    VMware is main stream and like people have said vmware or hyper-v are what you will find in production networks.

However for a home lab where you want to have a few virtual machines running, I think virtual box is better, and more features compared to the free versions of VMware.

An enterprise licences vmware set up though is a nice thing to manage.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    +1 what Essendon and DevilWAH said.

VirtualBox for home labs and VMWare for enterprise. I am studying for Linux+ and use VirtualBox everyday to lab with a couple different linux distros.
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oh and if you want to play with cisco and the GNS3 emulator, virtual box ties in very nicely so you can have your virtual guests hooked up to you cisco lab. Great for running checkpoint firewalls.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks all for the input.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    If you are running Windows 8 then why not just use Hyper-V? It is built into Windows 8.
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    CrikeyCrikey Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The biggest difference I can remember between VmWare Player and VirtualBox is that VB allows for snapshots (player does not).

However, installing an OS with player is almost effortless.