Options

Questiuons about a passed Network+ exam

hsteinhstein Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I saw here that a passing score is 720 on a scale of 100 to 900. My questions are[1] how is the score computed? Is it (straight percentage of questions answered correctly x 800)+ 100? For example, if there are 100 questions and I get 83 correct is that (0.83 x (900-100)) + 100 = (0.83 x 800) + 100 = (664+100) = 764?[2] is time factored into the final score? If Person A scores 800 in 45 minutes and person B scores 800 in 90 minutes, does it matter? I expect the answer to be NO.[3] does the certificate say you passed without a score shown or does it show you passed with your score? That is, If Person A scores 800 (passes) and person B scores 890 is that shown on the certificate?[4] What do employers who wish to verify your certification do to see you passed? Is there a registry somewhere they can check? Or do they ask you to bring the certificate in? If a registry, can they see the score or just Pass/Fail? Thanks all!Note I do see Network certification, CompTIA Network+ certification but these questions are not answered there.

Comments

• Options
    BaackBaack Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I will answer what I can
    They are very secretive on how they score the exams, I have heard that 10 of the exam questions are beta questions and are not graded
    Your cert will not show your score
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Only CompTIA knows how they score their exams. Anything you read from any other source is pure speculation.

You need to be above their minimum set score to pass.

If you are given 90 minutes for an exam, you may use as little or all of that time that you want. This is covered at CompTIAs site and various threads here.

As far as what employers want, it all depends on the employer. You can send proof of your certification or transcript to your employer. Aside from being certified or not being certified, I have never heard of anyone who cares. The employer can likely rule out if someone cheated on their exams or not through the interview process, and if someone can make it through that phase, they will get tripped up at work. The fakers are found out.

The student at the bottom of the medical school graduation class is still called Doctor...so your cert is basically pass/fail in the end.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    JimehbooJimehboo Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm about to take the Net+ exam soon and would like to also add a question instead of starting a new thread.

[5] Are you given a whiteboard and marker for writing down notes after you start? I practice sub netting with a little **** sheet I can make from scratch. Is that allowed?
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Jimehboo wrote: »
    I'm about to take the Net+ exam soon and would like to also add a question instead of starting a new thread.

[5] Are you given a whiteboard and marker for writing down notes after you start? I practice sub netting with a little **** sheet I can make from scratch. Is that allowed?

Yes you can but only if you are just making notes and make sure you don't take the **** with you.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forums.

[1] As Plantwiz mentions, only CompTIA knows for sure. Questions are very likely weighted, especially with the new performance based questions so a simple formula doesn't work. The best bet is to go into the exam with the goal of getting every question correct.

[2] I expect the answer to be no also.

[3] The certificate does not show the score.

[4] There is a registry and you can provide a link to your employer/prospective employer. Here's an example: https://www.certmetrics.com/comptia/public/transcript.aspx?transcript=W7R0VS4K1BB41WNQ. If a prospective employer asks for the link and you can't provide it, they will likely bypass you.

[5] Yes. You can start writing when the test starts and as Snow.Brows mentions you have turn the board in before you leave.
  • Options
    hsteinhstein Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great answers everyone! Let me add a couple more questions myself.

(6) how soon after you complete the test to do you receive the score -- is it USPS, email or both?

(7) Darril, I followed your link... first of all, VERY IMPRESSIVE! Let's start a business together icon_smile.gif Secondly, how does an employer know you are not posting this as a different Darril R. Gibson? Imagine a common name like Jim Smith -- all he has to do is find another Jim Smith and point to it. I would think an employer would request a hard copy of a non-forged certificate where your name is signed, your ID is shown, and your name is printed.

Ultimately, I'm sure you will be expected to show knowledge of what you claim to have passed. My guess is that the link expires after a period of time rendering it useless/inaccessible and making it difficult for someone to do this without having the real Jim Smith account password to create such a link. Along these lines, do you care to comment if your past employers really did check your claim you were certified.

Thanks,

H
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    hstein wrote: »

(6) how soon after you complete the test to do you receive the score -- is it USPS, email or both?
    Immediately
    (7) Darril, I followed your link... first of all, VERY IMPRESSIVE! Let's start a business together icon_smile.gif
    Thanks for the kind words. Right now I'm just focused on trying to inspire others to pursue their passions and live up to their full potential, so no time for another business, but thanks just the same.
    Secondly, how does an employer know you are not posting this as a different Darril R. Gibson? Imagine a common name like Jim Smith -- all he has to do is find another Jim Smith and point to it. I would think an employer would request a hard copy of a non-forged certificate where your name is signed, your ID is shown, and your name is printed.

If you look for problems, you'll find problems. If you look for the best outcomes, you'll see the best outcomes. Psychologists refer to this as cognitive bias. Which would you rather have in your life? Problems? Or outstanding outcomes?
    Ultimately, I'm sure you will be expected to show knowledge of what you claim to have passed. My guess is that the link expires after a period of time rendering it useless/inaccessible and making it difficult for someone to do this without having the real Jim Smith account password to create such a link. Along these lines, do you care to comment if your past employers really did check your claim you were certified.
    Yes, as Plantwiz mentioned, your knowledge will be tested in interviews and on the job. And yes, the link expires and needs to be recreated periodically. Many employers check without saying anything.