What certs to do when I want to sidetrack a little bit?

CDRichardsCDRichards Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

currently studying for my CCENT and then (if I pass) the CCNA R&S. Got a decent study schedule and it's hopefully going well. Trouble is, in my 'downtime' I'm getting bored and want to keep on learning but something away from Cisco. Have studied and passed MTA Security and MTA Networking and was wondering what other small, quick certifications are out there that are fun and relatively quick to get through. For example, studied the MTA Security over 2 days and passed with a high 90s score so as long as it's interesting I can get through it quick and get it out of the way. I know these quick certs don't really count for much, but they are a good way to find out if you want to head down that route later on in life.

Thank you for your time and patience icon_smile.gif
2013 - MTA Networking Fundamentals [x] MTA Security Fundamentals [x] MTA Operating System Fundamentals [x] CompTIA Network+ [x] CCENT [in progress] CCNA [ ]

Comments

• redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh man, do the ITIL v3 Foundation in your downtime. It's over-valued by employers and won't take a lot of study to get. It's a wonderful complimentary certification.
  • CDRichardsCDRichards Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nothing better than an over-valued certification icon_smile.gif Just checked Train Signal and they have a video series but I also like to supplement with a good book, are there any you could recommend?

Oh, and thank you for your comment, almost forgot to say that!
    2013 - MTA Networking Fundamentals [x] MTA Security Fundamentals [x] MTA Operating System Fundamentals [x] CompTIA Network+ [x] CCENT [in progress] CCNA [ ]
  • gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    so you can go to R AND S once you get the ccent?
    Hi gbdavidx, aim is to get extra certifications just kinda for fun. My main aim is the CCENT and then CCNA R&S and that's where the majority of my time studying is spent, but when I have spare time, or just want to get my mind of Cisco I find myself wanting to keep on learning other stuff, nothing heavy, just entry level things to keep my mind ticking over, fun things, new things that I may decide to go into further after I get the CCNA R&S.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Security+
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
    Hi CarlSaiyed. From what I hear the Sec+ is quite a lot of stuff to learn, very broad in subject matter but not very deep. In your opinion is that a course I could study alongside CCENT without hindering the Cisco course? I notice you've got both so you're the perfect person to ask icon_smile.gif
  • powmiapowmia Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 322
    Hi powmia, I think if I studied Juniper at the same time as Cisco my head would explode, pretty sure I'd start getting the two mixed up lol! Is something I may look into in the future though, thank you.
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    ITIL sounds good !
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

Hi chanakyajupudi - yes it does sound good and judging by the learning material shouldn't be too taxing. Just wondering what books are recommended for the course?
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    I think one of our Forum Members has a book. Her name is Claire Agutter. Her book has been highly recommended. TrainSignals's video also does some good.

EDIT: She wrote a book.
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @CDRichards, you are correct that Security+ is not very deep. It covers a lot of ground that will really add value to your CCNA (IMO). The two compliment each other nicely. It would be up to you on if you could study for them in tandem. Personally, I did CCENT > CCNA > Security+. I studied for 2 weeks before I took the Security+ - I read Darril Gibson's book twice and then researched anything that I wanted to know more about.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
    @CarlSaiyed - I've got the Sec+ book already, sadly not the Darril one that I've heard is fab but the 'All In One' series. Seems pretty comprehensive though.
  • redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would go with one of Claire's books, not just because I've only ever heard positive feedback regarding them, but she is also extremely active in the ITIL forum here on TE. She has already posted a wealth of information there, and seems generally happy answering the same questions over and over again, meaning you can definitely use her as a reference point for anything you don't quite understand.
    @chanakyajupudi - I have found her book icon_smile.gif

@redz - sound advice.

Thank you both
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @ccnpnija - thank you. Have got the Train Signal videos ready and have found Claire Agutter's book on Amazon and Play.com. Amazon says I can pre-order (released March 2013 lol) and Play.com is £15 more expensive so will keep an eye on Amazon's website
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Claire is great I would gladly endorse any book she writes that involved service and/or change management.
  • Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
    CDRichards wrote: »
    @ccnpnija - thank you. Have got the Train Signal videos ready and have found Claire Agutter's book on Amazon and Play.com. Amazon says I can pre-order (released March 2013 lol) and Play.com is £15 more expensive so will keep an eye on Amazon's website

Is that the ITIL lifecycle essentials or ITIL foundation handbook?