Online Classes?

BrowserzBrowserz Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Are there any online classes that anyone could recommend?
I got a job at a data center, and they're offering tuition reimbursement if I pass the class. Eventually I want to get into the Network Security field, since that seems to be the most interesting to me, If I'm interested in something it'll be much easier to stick to it and not get bored. Reason I have to do online class is because I'm going to be working overnight and by the time I get home I'll probably be tired so Ill sleep until mid afternoon, account in food, and other things I probably won't have much time to drive an hour to the closest tech school and then drive all the way back to work.

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Browserz wrote: »
    Reason I have to do online class is because I'm going to be working overnight and by the time I get home I'll probably be tired so Ill sleep until mid afternoon, account in food, and other things I probably won't have much time to drive an hour to the closest tech school and then drive all the way back to work.
    I just wanted to add, I have a close friend and two acquaintances who work night shift and recently completed master's degrees at a brick and mortar schools. It's entirely possible, if you want it badly enough.
    "by the time I get home I'll probably be tired so I'll sleep."
    Most people do not go to sleep immediately after they finish working--that's a choice, of course.
    Ill sleep until mid afternoon, account in food, and other things
    If you work from 12am-8am, and sleep from 9am to 5pm, and eat from 5pm-5:30pm.. you still have 6.5 hrs before you need to show-up for work. Those "other things" may be the crux of the matter.
    to the closest tech school
    You probably have a community college closer than that.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As for online schools, WGU is a popular choice here, but they don't offer many degrees. Thus, the first question is what sort of degree/training best aligns with your vision for your future.
  • BrowserzBrowserz Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You're right, the closest community college is around 25-30 minutes away.
    Ill have to see what it's like doing the night shift, this will be the first time I will be working nights at all. I didn't want to overload myself you know?
    Wanted to take it slow and take one or two classes and take my time.

I figure i'll be working from 11-8AM, the drive home takes me 40 minutes so I'll get home at 8:40ish, If I can, i'll probably sleep from 10-6PM. Cooking and eating usually takes me around 45 minutes. so 7ish If it takes me half an hour without traffic to get to the nearest community college, I'd have at most 3 hours there. Account in winter and i'm driving for even longer, the schedule is just a little tight for my liking. If I could take out the driving and do it online i'd have an extra hour with just that, that's with perfect driving conditions. When I think about schooling, it's not just about the class time, I have to think about doing homework and studying too. but that's just me.

Thank you for the recommendation though, I'll be sure to check that out.
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    WGU is popular around here, and for good reason. Ive looked into it, its got a sound structure to the class setup and its accredited. Also you receive certs as you complete the degree, which will help with upward mobility in your current job or possibly help you land a better job.

I have attended and graduated from B&M Baker College and Online Baker College, both of those I had great experiences with. The instructor requirements are the same for the online teachers as it is for the B&M teachers, so i can attest to the quality of educators. All my teachers were either retired from there field or currently working in there field. Tuition is on the more affordable side of things, but they (online Baker) do require "participation" 5/7 days of the week...and that irks some people.

Hope some of that helps...

edit: I forgot your getting tuition reimbursement, disregard the tuition comment lol. I would sign up asap, and take advantage of that while you can. Just make sure its atleast regionally accredited and the program is something you would like.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    For maximum utility, if you can get it online from an in-state school with a football team that plays on TV, you're golden for the most part. There won't be many questions about the rigor of the school if it has a name that people have heard of before. If the school is online-only, there is the stigma of "diploma mill" or "Easy A" that you might have to fight against. If you're really good, it does not matter. Still, it is something you have to consider.

Also, remember that a lot of state schools will let you transfer in up to 90 hours of credits towards the degree. State schools sometimes have agreements with in-state community colleges that guarantee acceptance of all the associate degree credits into their bachelor programs. Texas has a program like this, and uses a common course numbering scheme to facilitate it. Of course, if you have any plans to transfer credits, you want to check with the target school first.

Tuition reimbursement is really just another form of compensation. Take advantage of it while you can.

If you're really serious about network security, I would advise you to take the highest math that you can, so that understanding algorithms will be easier.

If you just want the learning, there are tons of dollar-free resources. (I said dollar-free instead of cost-free, because the time and energy you expend is definitely a cost.)
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • johnnifastjohnnifast Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @NetworkVeteran

I just applied. Lol. Going for a BA in IT: Security.

@Browserz

I feel where you are coming from. I currently have an Associate's. My company is willing to pay a year's worth of school at a time, so I went with WGU. Free BA degree for working? Count me in! Also going for IT: Security.
  • extriquekextriquek Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What company did you get the job with?