Options

Any Experience with EC-Council iLabs?

Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
Does anybody have any experience with the EC-Council iLabs? I'm not an EC-Council student, but I'm self studying for CEH and I want some hands on experience. I don't have much experience with VMware and how to set it up properly, I'm sure it's not to difficult, but I can't find what I need online and I don't have a bunch of OS's laying around to load into a VM anyway. So basically, I know nothing about VM and can't really find what I need online to get started with it so I'm settling for the CEH iLabs courseware.

Were the iLabs worth the $199 asking price? Did they add value to your learning? How hands on are they? Anything else you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Stan LeeStan Lee Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Khaos1911 wrote: »
    Does anybody have any experience with the EC-Council iLabs? I'm not an EC-Council student, but I'm self studying for CEH and I want some hands on experience. I don't have much experience with VMware and how to set it up properly, I'm sure it's not to difficult, but I can't find what I need online and I don't have a bunch of OS's laying around to load into a VM anyway. So basically, I know nothing about VM and can't really find what I need online to get started with it so I'm settling for the CEH iLabs courseware.

Were the iLabs worth the $199 asking price? Did they add value to your learning? How hands on are they? Anything else you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

In my opinion, iLabs has a very basic setup. It will guide you through step-by-step on how to use some of the tools like C&A, how SQL injection and XSS works, packet sniffing, arp and mac spoofing, etc. If you do not have a VM setup, I supposed this will be your second best option. But, I would strongly encourage you to setup your own VM. I'm still using my VMs until now even though I have already passed my v8 exam last June. I'm sure there are still trial versions of the various os out there.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Is there a thick description anywhere of the tools and exercises found in iLabs? I bet it would be a fun and worthwhile project to duplicate that set up in a home lab.
  • Options
    Stan LeeStan Lee Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, if you purchase the iLab courseware, you will be able to download the detailed instructions per module. The courseware also has an instructional video per module in case you got stuck with the written instructions. In one of the examples, it will show you how to do an arp poisoning using Cain & Abel. In another example, it will show you how to launch a denial-of-service using HTTPFlooding, how to create a trojan server using ProRAT, etc.

I wonder how are the instructor-led training classes being conducted? Do they give enough hands-on practice ? I supposed the usual 5-day course will be packed with theories and may not have time left for lab exercises.
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    I ended up just finally setting up a couple virtual boxes, one running Kali Linux and the other running Backtrack 5 R3. I'll just end up targeting my home network router(s) and trying to play around with some old XP and vista laptops I have lying around and targeting a linux machine that I have running ubuntu in another virtual box.