What is the best image to use for Ipv6?

Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
I am having some trouble finding the correct image to use for Ipv6. I am using GNS3 for labs. I first started with a 2621xm series image 124-15.t14 image however it doesn't seem to support all the commands you can enter when following along in the student lab book. The student lab book suggests 1841 routers but that doesn't seem to be an option to use in GNS3. I went on to a 3640 image: 123-25d and had similar issues with some commands like : 'sh ipv6 eigrp neighbors' not being supported. What have yall used that is successful.

Getting a hold of the images is no problem for me as I have accounts with cisco / work. So please let me know what you think will work best. Thanks!
Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
"Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What feature set are you using? Usually some flavor of 12.4T with advanced IP services gets the job done.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I noticed on my 3650 image I was not able to perform the "sh ipv6 eigrp neighbors" command and on the 2621xm image I was not able to perform: 'ipv6 router eigrp 100' 'no shutdown'

If that answers your questions
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    hmm... I may have jumped the gun... looks like a typo in the lab book:

Tells me to do this:

IPv6 EIGRP routing is shut down by default. To enable IPv6-EIGRP for process 100, use the following commands on R1 and R3.
    R1(config-if)# ipv6 router eigrp 100
    R1(config-rtr)# no shutdown

As you can see it is indicating I am in some type of interface config mode to input the command: 'ipv6 router eigrp 100', this has to be done from global configuration mode. Just tested it and now its working. This isn't the first typo I've found in this book.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For 12.4T, [according to Cisco's chart] only Advanced IP Services and Advanced Enterprise support IPv6. For older IOSes, they used some crazy lettering scheme [to indicate features] which is nearly impossible to make sense of, especially since some of the letters were dropped, added, or changed from one IOS to the next, and you would have to check each individual image to be sure.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • powmiapowmia Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 322
    An example of how to find information like this in the future:

Cisco Feature Navigator - Cisco Systems

select the "Technology" radio button.

In the Available Features box on the left, expand IP -> IP Version 6 (IPv6) -> IPv6 Routing-EIGRP Support

Click Add in the middle, then Continue on the right.

In the Release/Platform box that shows up on the lower left, select Platform, then expand IOS -> 3745

You now have a list of images that support that technology.
    powmia wrote: »
    An example of how to find information like this in the future:

Cisco Feature Navigator - Cisco Systems

select the "Technology" radio button.

In the Available Features box on the left, expand IP -> IP Version 6 (IPv6) -> IPv6 Routing-EIGRP Support

Click Add in the middle, then Continue on the right.

In the Release/Platform box that shows up on the lower left, select Platform, then expand IOS -> 3745

You now have a list of images that support that technology.

Great information! Thank you!