Options

Certification for IT newbie?

SkeeMSkeeM Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone!
A little about myself, I am currently active duty military and have a job that is not relevant to IT. I do plan to pursue a IT degree once I separate in the near future. One of the good things about being in the military is that they really push education/self improvement. The military will also pay for one certification, up to a certain amount, and I want to take advantage of this offer. I have a very basic understanding of computers, but willing to put in plenty of study time. Can you guys recommend me any certifications at my skill level?

Also, I also plan to become a certified personal trainer(CPT). The cost of the exam is almost $600, and with that in mind the military only pays for ONE certification. If the cost of the IT certification exam is slightly lower than the CPT exam, I will consider it.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I think the CompTIA - A+ and N+ would be great in your case. They are going to help you get a sense of the field and, hopefully, spark your interest in some area. They also help for getting your foot in the door with some help desk/tech support kind of job. These certs are usually the way for people who are just starting out.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    redline5thredline5th Member Posts: 119
    I would say start with CompTIA and see what you're most interested in. Network+, A+, and Security+ are all pretty well standard these days. I believe CompTIA exams run around $200-300.
    WGU - Bachelors in Information Technology

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    extriquekextriquek Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The CompTIA certs.