Data Center Design Certification

Radiohead316Radiohead316 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I'm looking into Data Center Design certifications and I'm having trouble figuring out if any of them are worthwhile, or respected. The one I'm looking at right now is from CNET:

Certified Data Centre Design Professional – CDCDP

Obviously the cost is high. If I can get my company to splurge for it then great. Considering the cost, this will be a one time thing, so I want to choose correctly.

Any advice?

Thanks

Comments

• ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi,
    Did you take a look at Cisco data center certifications?
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Not sure if the CDCDP is popular (I'm in the UK and have never heard of it, but then again, that doesn't mean anything as certifications pop up everyday now it seems). However you also gain a Level 5 BTEC Advanced Professional Award in Data Centre Design.

While you don't state how much it is and there's doesn't seem to be a price on the site, it may be worth it as a level 5 qualification on the QCF is comparable to a degree level qualification*, see here.

*please note that even though it may be on the same level as a unclassified degree, an award will only have approx. 1 to 12 credit points which equals 10 to 120 hours of learning. So it will not have the same depth or breath as a degree, to gain a "Further Education version" of a Higher Education Degree (eg a BSc/BA) you will need to gain the level 5 diploma which is comprised of 37 credits or more.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have never heard of it.

Whats the price? BTEC levels arent worth that much imo so i would avoid it. I would only spend my hard earned cash on instructor led courses if it was worth it. I.e. CCIE bootcamp. If its your companies money then thats another matter. If you want to go down the data centre track then i would go towards the cisco, vmware, netapp etc route.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 4 day CDCDP™ Advanced Professional Unit is classroom based and led by one of CNet Training’s expert instructors. It comprises an in-depth analysis of the four vital elements of data centre design – power, cooling, energy efficiency and management – providing a comprehensive overview of all the issues surrounding each of them.

Topics such as regulation, power consumption trends, standby power methods, climate control, environmental objectives, metrics and energy best practice will all be covered. Delegates will take part in an ongoing assessment and be expected to complete a final online assessment and case study.
    Sounds like a waste of money to me. If I had 3k to spend on training I'd pick something else.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Priston wrote: »
    ...If I had 3k to spend on training I'd pick something else.

£3k??? For that price (or a little over) you can do a Post-Grad Cert in the UK (1/3 of a Masters degree)
  • Radiohead316Radiohead316 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies. I avoided Cisco because it seems so network driven.

Yep it's around that price. I'll take a look around some more.

I absolutely wouldn't pay that out of my own pocket though. ;)