Options

CISSP right for me? DOD Job Related...

mathomas3mathomas3 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all...

I have been mulling over taking the CISSP for a long time... Currently i have both the Net+ and Sec+... but those certs just about anyone and thier mother posses in the DOD world... My issue is that with my current job i can do just about anything IT... anything from routers and switches to VMs and Exchange... but im looking to focus my attention on certs... which one is up in the air at this point... I have been thinking about starting with Microsoft server related Certs... and then coming around to the CISSP... but then again i havent seen too many job posting for system administrators... but i have seen a good amount of job postings for Security related jobs...

and my best selling point is my TS/SCI...

So im torn on which one to focus on... Ultimately i would like to end up in the Asia area either in Japan or Korea... working with Army or Air Force...

Your thoughts would be very welcome...

Thanks,

Matt

Comments

• Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    First you need to determine what your role in the DoD 8570 is. To me it sounds like you are working in IAT I or II. The following link will layout what certs are needed per the position. Past these baseline certs are more nice to haves or job specific like Cisco of Microsoft certs. You need to identify the job that you hope to obtain then pursue certs based on the job role.

Personally it sounds like CISSP may not be the best fit for you (at this time) because you sound like you are more hands on. If you were in an IAM role I would say absolutely go for the CISSP.

DoD 8570 Information Assurance Workforce Improvement Program

Look throught FAQ's
  • Options
    mathomas3mathomas3 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the Info...

I would like to think that i function as a IATII or III... the system that i work with is deployable Enterprise Network in a box... with everything under the sun running on them... a few dell 1950... NetApps... AD, Exchange, WDS, SharePoint, WSUS, and many other things...

It's a fun job... but that kinda the bad thing about it... jack of all trades... master of none...
  • Options
    tombosaucetombosauce Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You said you're in the DoD world. Were you active duty? If you got out in the past 5 years ISC2 is offering a Cyber Warrior Scholarship that pays for training, textbooks, phone application-enabled study materials, certification testing and placement. You'll have to apply by the 30th of August though. If they select you, I'm not sure how long it would take to get the materials to start studying.
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    I know what you are talking about I used to use these systems in Iraq and you are right that you obtain lots of experience in the single system. JOAT is great (especially if you wish to get into more managerial roles) because it shows you are versatile but for career progression you will most likely need to select a specialized path. What type of job are you ultimately after? Networking, SysAd, Auditor, IT manager, InfoSec and so on are all jobs that exist in the theatres of command you want to work. CISSP is not needed for most of them so you really need to identify which career path you prefer.
  • Options
    clouderclouder Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CISSP is worth it if you're working on enterprise-wide operations. The job I just got required me to get it within 90 days (took it Saturday), and DoD in general seems to be cracking down more on 8570 compliance. I'd suggest getting it sooner than later so you don't wind up with a deadline like I had.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Military and government pay is usually pretty bad. You'd do better to take your TS/SCI and CISSP to a private company in the Beltway that does defense contracts. Stick with the bigger defense contractors and you can get overseas work fairly easily too.