Help, Need Advice

RSJRRSJR Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone, Ive trying to get some outside input on my schooling situation. Im trying to decide whether I should complete the rest of my AS at the community college(which I am currently enrolled and taking classes) and then switch over to WGU or I should stop wasting valuable time and switch over to WGU right now.
Heres some background info
  • Currently taking classes towards AS in networking. Campus is an hour commute one way for me two to three times a week. Currently taking 2-3 classes a semester(which include all MCITP:EA classes, only have App Infrastructure and EA to complete my Microsoft classes) As of tomorrow 8/1, I will have 5 or so classes to finish my AS( Which should put me around a May 2013 finish date)
  • Have completed numerous certification courses but have not taken certification exams(A+,Net+,Sec+,70-680,70-640,70-642,70-646,70-432,70-750)
  • Have 5+ years experience and currently work full time for a large corporation in IT.
  • Have financial aid and tuition re-imbersment so cost is not an issue.
I see a lot of value in transferring to WGU for the BS IT degree, based on the above and the experiences of current and past students of WGU, what kind of time frame for completion would I be looking at if started in September? I want to make sure Im not wasting time by at staying at the CC, if I can receive a BS in the same amount of time I can finish my AS I might as well transfer. Any an all feedback is greatly appreicated.

Comments

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Being so close I would say you should just finish it out. If you aren't actively seeking new employment and there is not deadline for you to complete the bachelor's I would stick it out. One year isn't too much and then you can begin with WGU and I'd assume you'd probably get more transfer credits as well.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Being so close I would say you should just finish it out. If you aren't actively seeking new employment and there is not deadline for you to complete the bachelor's I would stick it out. One year isn't too much and then you can begin with WGU and I'd assume you'd probably get more transfer credits as well.

He has a year left, that means he is really only half way done since its an associates.

I would contact WGU now and see how many credits would transfer based on what you have completed so far vs if you finished your AS. My bet is that it is going to make more sense to transfer now.

Not to mention the hour commute to class which just sounds awful, especially if you have a job.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    I would contact WGU and at least see what credits would transfer in before the start of your semester. This would at least give you an idea of what you would need to complete at WGU. There is a very real chance that you would not receive credit for some courses that you normally would have with a completed Associates degree. For example, I lacked several genderal ed classes at WGU but still received credit for them with a completed degree. At that point I would weigh the decision based on time and your own abilities. The other alternative knock out a few general classes via Straighterline. There is a possibility that you wont finish all the general education classes at WGU before the time it takes to finish your AS.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • RSJRRSJR Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just completed my class on Wed night, so now officially have 5 classes left. I have to say that the drive is really getting to me, having to drive an hour, take a 30 minute final just to drive another hour back home....Ive been trying to contact one of the enrollment counselors so well see how this pans out, hopefully for the better.
  • freshbaklavafreshbaklava Registered Users Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had a similiar question to this, i would like to finish my degree as soon as possible, would it be realistic to take some General classes at a community college while taking classes at WGU and just transfer it over??
  • SlithySlithy Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had a similiar question to this, i would like to finish my degree as soon as possible, would it be realistic to take some General classes at a community college while taking classes at WGU and just transfer it over??

Nothing will transfer in after you have started classes(this is on the transfer info they give). Anyway, I don't see how that would make it any faster given that you are not capped on how many classes you take a semester(doing community college would take time away from your WGU studies).

Finally, I understand you may be new to the forum - there is actually a stickied WGU Q & A thread at the top of this forum and i believe they prefer you put new questions on there instead of bumping old threads.

Heres the link: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/51715-western-governors-university-questions-answers-threads-related-wgu-136.html