Passed 70-686 - Here's my study notes

srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
Passed the 70-686 exam a few months back. Thought I'd upload my study notes for you guys looking to obtain the MCSA: Windows 7 certification and the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator certification. (70-680 + 70-686)

http://www.filedropper.com/70-686studynotes

If you've already taken and passed the 70-680, then you know what you're getting into when preparing for the 70-686. I found the 70-686 to be the more difficult exam, so keep that in mind.

Here's what I used to study for this exam:
1) CBT Nuggets
2) Microsoft Self-Paced Training Kit (70-686)
3) Windows 7 Desktop Support and Administration (Darril Gibson)

Good luck!
WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)

Comments

• MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've failed this exam twice. I've never had any professional experience with this type of material and it definitely shows. Any study I have done was self-taught using CBT/TrainSignal, Windows 7 Desktop Support and Admin, and Darril's 70-680/5/6 Portable Command Guide. I'm to the point where I really think I should give up, as I now have to purchase another exam voucher. I really would like an MCITP certification before they're retired just to cushion the resume just a bit, even if it's just the Desktop Tech cert. Anyway, I appreciate you sharing your notes. I think they are going to be a valuable tool if I attempt to retake the exam.

Have you taken, or are you planning on taking, the 70-685?
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I went the 70-686 route, so the 70-685 is unnecessary for me to take. I've never taken it, but I've read that it's easier than the 70-686. But I've also read that the 70-685 is more difficult than the 70-680, so it's still a difficult exam to pass.

If you decide to take the 70-685 instead, you will still obtain both MCSA: Windows 7 and MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Client administration isn't exactly the direction I want to take, but because I don't have any high level certifications as of yet, I wanted to get an MCITP to at least get a check-box requirement for some HR dept, especially since I'm really only a single test away from a fairly high-level cert. Windows also isn't my favorite for studying/sitting, as you probably can understand.
    Honestly, I don't think there's going to be much difference on a resume between having the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator vs having the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician. They both give MCSA: Windows 7, which is the new tier 1 cert. MCITP is being retired as you know.

If you can study for and pass the 70-685, then by all means do it. :) Then you can move onto MCSA: 2012, and start preparing for the new MCSE's. (if you choose to go that route)

• rwl1969rwl1969 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I start the in class training for the 70-685 next week and the 686 the week after I was wondering if I could get a copy of your notes? I could not get your file dropper link to work... I've got my book and study guide but any notes or insights would be appreciated.
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I second that ^^. The link is broken. Could you please upload your notes as an attachment or use another website?
    Fixed it. Seems like the link expires after a month or so. icon_sad.gif

• rwl1969rwl1969 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    very much appreciated icon_thumright.gif
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You have stellar hand writing man! I had to mention it. I too make notes, its how I learn...however, my notes would be more challenging to use than learning this material in a non-native language for most people.
  • mikeeybmikeeyb Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the link is expired can you please add it again
    mikeeyb wrote: »
    the link is expired can you please add it again

Fixed it.

• ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks but still having problems with the file. corrupt file error
    mikeeyb wrote: »
    thanks but still having problems with the file. corrupt file error

I just tried it from my PC at work and it worked fine. You may want to try a different browser or a different machine.

thanks a lot. great notes will help in addition to cbnuggets.
  • Ken25Ken25 Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Would you please be so gracious as to fix the link again? I have failed 70-686 once, my first fail in about 10 exams, and am trying to pass this before time runs out this year. Thank you very much for taking the time to help others.
  • coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ken25 wrote: »
    Would you please be so gracious as to fix the link again? I have failed 70-686 once, my first fail in about 10 exams, and am trying to pass this before time runs out this year. Thank you very much for taking the time to help others.
    Second this. Maybe upload it to dropbox or something? I would love to get my hands on notes. I am currently studying for the 70-680 and 70-685. Using two different books, TrainSignal, CBT Nuggets, and Professor Messer.

How would you say your experience was with this exam compared to say, Microsoft? I have only taken 4 CompTIA exams and this will be my first official MS exam.
    System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
    2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure
  • ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    Make sure to take good notes of your own and study them. Handwriting tends to help me remember better. Do a little more research, especially in the areas that you don't have access to on your own. Hit the branch cache and direct access a little more in-depth so you have a good base to work from. Additionally make sure you learn some of the interface components well because the test can ask some obscure questions.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
    I passed 70-680 a few months ago. I watched all of the 70-680 Professor Messer videos and used the Transcender for it. The Messer videos were pretty much right on target. Practicing with Transcender practice tests in learning / explanation mode puts me in the right frame of mind for Microsoft exams. I concur that 70-686 is more difficult. I think I waited too long after 70-680 to take the 70-686, so my advice is to study for 70-680, keep studying so it remains fresh, and then take your 70-685 or 70-686.
    Link has been fixed.

• coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    srabiee wrote: »
    Link has been fixed.
    You're awesome.
    System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
    2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure
    Thank you very much! I truly appreciate it and have downloaded your notes. For those pursuing the Enterprise Desktop Administrator cert, keep in mind you only have until January 31, 2014, before Microsoft take that impressive-sounding cert title option away. From Microsoft: "MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 Validates your ability to deploy operating systems and desktop applications and to manage the client life cycle. When you pass these exams, you also earn the MCSA: Windows 7 certification. After January 31, 2014, you can no longer earn the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 certification, but you can still take the following exams to earn the MCSA: Windows 7 certification. Required exam Windows 7, Configuring 680 Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Administrator 686"
  • chriswood214chriswood214 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am trying to get the notes too but the link has expired. Can you fix for me please. Thanks!
    Sorry Chris, I no longer have these notes. I hung onto them for a few months but have since moved onto more advanced certs and had no need to hang on to them.

Cool, question though. After getting the MCITP, which direction did you go next?
    After obtaining MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator and MCSA: Windows 7, I obtained MCITP: Enterprise Administrator and MCSA: Server 2008.

Next, I will be working toward MCSE: Server Infrastructure and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure. After that, the MCSE on Exchange 2013.

• Brandonm2Brandonm2 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would really like to see those notes too. :D Thanks!
    Cool yeah I am going to go the MCSE Desktop route as well. After that I will get my CCNA and CCDA. I am going back to school to get my BA in Comp Science then move on to Network Engineering. In a few years I want to be focused more on the programming/Dev side of Network infrastructure. What is your end game, if you have one?
    Eventually focus on virtualization certs. MCSE: Private Cloud for Hyper-V, VMware VCP-DCV and beyond, and maybe even Citrix. Would also like to learn Linux someday. Also want to be strong in Exchange, and maybe Lync and even Sharepoint. Lot's of things to learn. :)