What are the logical steps to CISSP?

RedGaiterRedGaiter Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm looking to have a career in IT security and was wondering what the most logical steps are to achieve the CISSP certification. I'm currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution that will eventually give me a bachelors in Network Security Administration, which I assume will help my resume.

The certifications I currently have are A+ and Network+, and I am currently studying for Security+. Which certifications should I pursue after those to get CISSP? Do I need any Cisco (CCNA/CCNP) or Microsoft certs? Or should I get CISA, CISM, then CISSP?

Comments

• holysheetmanholysheetman Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    if you have a few years experience in a few of the domains (there are 10) that the CISSP consists of, then I would attempt the exam. If not, then you should attempt the junior level certs as you've already mentioned as a stepping stone towards the CISSP. Just google anything on "CISSP study guide" or whatever and you'll find a plethora of avenues you can go. Hope this helps and good luck!
  • RedGaiterRedGaiter Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    if you have a few years experience in a few of the domains (there are 10) that the CISSP consists of, then I would attempt the exam. If not, then you should attempt the junior level certs as you've already mentioned as a stepping stone towards the CISSP. Just google anything on "CISSP study guide" or whatever and you'll find a plethora of avenues you can go. Hope this helps and good luck!

I'll most likely have to go the junior level cert route. I just don't know which ones to get exactly.
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Security+ is a good stepping stone as it will allow you to offset one year of experience. After that though I would pursue a CCNA if I were you because it would accent your degree and give you a better understanding of how a network is functioning. Then gear up for the CISSP.
    da_vato wrote: »
    Security+ is a good stepping stone as it will allow you to offset one year of experience. After that though I would pursue a CCNA if I were you because it would accent your degree and give you a better understanding of how a network is functioning. Then gear up for the CISSP.

So assuming I go for CCNA, would you recommend also getting CCNP? And if I were to follow your advise, would you recommend going straight for the CISSP afterwards, or obtaining CISA and CISM before CISSP?
  • TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would try to get an entry-level InfoSec job... all those certs don't mean much without experience to go along with it.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
    TechGuy215 wrote: »
    I would try to get an entry-level InfoSec job... all those certs don't mean much without experience to go along with it.

I understand certs are almost meaningless without any experience. I'm starting my school program next week and it's a 4 year program, so I'm trying to knock out as many certs as I can while I'm in school. I'll also be looking for a co-op job in the field while I'm in school.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think a good path is Sec+ --> CASP / SSCP --> CISSP / CISM / CISA. CISSP & CISM focus on management aspect, will CISA is auditing, but all three require experience.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    RedGaiter wrote: »
    So assuming I go for CCNA, would you recommend also getting CCNP? And if I were to follow your advise, would you recommend going straight for the CISSP afterwards, or obtaining CISA and CISM before CISSP?

(If I were you) After the CCNA go for CISSP and you'll be pretty desirable on paper, after that you will know if you want to bother with CCNP.