What did you use to study for the SSCP?

loun80loun80 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all! I passed Security+ not long ago and I'm now working towards my SSCP certification. I have the Official (ISC)2 Guide to SSCP CBK 2nd Edition as well as Darril Gilson's SSCP Systems Security Certified Practitioner All-in-One Exam Guide.

I find the Official Guide very hard to read. There's a lot of grammatical errors, incorrect usage of bullets and unnecessary vocabulary.

Do you think it would be enough to pass the exam with only Darril Gibson's book?

Comments

• aaronwaaronw Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The official one is hard to read, but it covers some things in more depth. I used the combo of those two books to pass.
  • loun80loun80 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do you think you can pass with using only Darril's book?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It really depends on how much you already know about the topics in the SSCP CBK. I would use both. Despite the problems with the OIG 2nd Ed, it has a lot of useful info. Try highlighting the pertinent facts and copy them to your study notes.
  • aaronwaaronw Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Even if you give less emphasis to the official guide, I think both should be used. I gave more weight to Darril's book but still read the official book twice.
  • mjb2424mjb2424 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Loun, I'm doing the same thing you are. I'm going to use both of those books as well. I'd like to point out that for any given exam, multiple sources should always be used. I used 6+ for both the network+ and security+, but then again I'm also coming from very little real world experience. I also have a tendency to go a little OCD on compiling information when it comes to these tests though!
  • DagistoDagisto Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My advice

Read the SSCP AIO as much as you can (at least twice) and use the official guide as an encyclopedia.

I primarily used the SSCP AIO and read it like it was a Tolkien or Dan Brown book. The SSCP exam will be challenging even if you have the feeling that you know everything, so practice a lot using the AIO CD.