What's after CCNP R&S ?

samym.adlysamym.adly Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm going to complete CCNP R&S at the end of September I'm wondering what to do next .. I've already passed CCNA Voice and CVoice ( the 1st exam from the 5 CCNP Voice exams ).. Should I pursue the MCSA or complete the CCNP Voice ?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What do you do for work? What do you want to be doing for work?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    As Mr Networker above says, what do you want to do?

That's is just as important as working out what exam you need to do for it.
  • aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    Why did you bother with CCNA Voice and CVOICE if you weren't sure about getting into Voice?
  • samym.adlysamym.adly Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I want to complete the other 4 CCNP Voice exams, and perhaps later pursue CCIE Voice I'm ok with studying and working in anything, I don't really have any particular preferences I'm asking whether, in my situation, should I pursue the MCSA or not ? Is it worth studying for ?
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    We need to know more about 'your situation' to give you any solid advice. Do you work in the field currently? Do you have exposure to voice technologies, or are you looking to break into the technical field and a network type role?
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
    I'm currently unemployed. I've worked a couple of help-desk jobs, and they didn't add much experience to me. I'm just thinking after finishing my CCNP R&S, what should be my next step?Should I continue my CCNP Voice, or is it worth it to doing the MCSA? P.S. I live in Egypt, and we are currently going through a revolution phase for 2.5 years, the economy is bad, really bad .. so bearing this info in mind .. what should i do?
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    samym.adly wrote: »
    I want to complete the other 4 CCNP Voice exams, and perhaps later pursue CCIE Voice I'm ok with studying and working in anything, I don't really have any particular preferences I'm asking whether, in my situation, should I pursue the MCSA or not ? Is it worth studying for ?

To me it sounds like you want to be a cert warrior. Again, the question is "What do YOU want to do with your career?"

What do you do everyday? Voice? R&S? Security? Design? System Administration?

Look at it this way, what good is a certification if you don't actually work in that specialty on a daily basis? Retaining the knowledge and improving through practical hands on experience is essential to those looking to become an expert in their field.

So again, what do you want out of your career?
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
    I'm currently unemployed. I've worked a couple of help-desk jobs, and they didn't add much experience to me. I'm just thinking after finishing my CCNP R&S, what should be my next step?Should I continue my CCNP Voice, or is it worth it to doing the MCSA? P.S. I live in Egypt, and we are currently going through a revolution phase for 2.5 years, the economy is bad, really bad .. so bearing this info in mind .. what should i do?

Ok, so you are saying you have no experience under your belt? Cart before the horse in trying to gain CCNP before having even worked in the field.

Again, you keep bouncing between 3 totally separate fields. Voice, R&S, System Administration

It's admirable that you want to learn, but let's find out what you truly want to do then focus in on it and help you achieve it. If you want to do System Admin, let's look at the MCSA while looking at say a Desktop position, perhaps even a Jr. Sys Admin role...this will get you involved in systems and learning hands on while you study the MCSA

It would be the same for the network portion, look for a Jr. Network Admin role.

• SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423

In that case I would focus on finding a job. If you have to go for another certification I supposed a Microsoft certification will be helpful, and t make more a little more desired with knowledge about Cisco and Microsoft.

Don'y be discouraged by the help desk positions, almost everyone in IT usually starts off in some type of helpdesk or desktop support role. It's not fun or enjoyable (in most cases) but it's usually a required step nowadays.

Also do keep in mind, it's the amount of experience that makes people marketable, not certifications. I'm not saying certifications are bad but just do not be expecting to a very high paying job because you have a few certifications.

Please do not take any of this the wrong way, I just trying re-iterate how important the job and experience is compared a certification. The CCNP: Voice is a long set of tests and I it would really sucks for you study all that and never use those skills or find out you don't like working with Voice.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
    To me it sounds like you want to be a cert warrior. Again, the question is "What do YOU want to do with your career?" What do you do everyday? Voice? R&S? Security? Design? System Administration? Look at it this way, what good is a certification if you don't actually work in that specialty on a daily basis? Retaining the knowledge and improving through practical hands on experience is essential to those looking to become an expert in their field. So again, what do you want out of your career?
    I don't currently have a job, and I'm pursing one, so I'm kinda studying in order to land a job Do you think I should just focus on the CCNP Voice track?
    I don't currently have a job, and I'm pursing one, so I'm kinda studying in order to land a job Do you think I should just focus on the CCNP Voice track?

It's so tough for me to just say, "Hey, you should do this, you should do that"..I would stress to you the importance of finding what you like.

Take whatever you can to get your foot in the door. I did that very thing, took a Help Desk job over 10yrs ago just to get my foot in the door, I had way more knowledge and skills then everyone else and it wasn't long until that was noticed and I was off at clients sites doing desktop/server work.

Along the way when you begin working with the technology that will be the point when you find what you like and what you don't like.

• aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    CCNP Voice with zero experience is a waste of time IMO.
  • pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Like others have said, you need direction. Looking for a job is great, but what kind of job? In my situation, I wanted to work in networking so went the Cisco route and finally found a job at a data center. (Before that, yea, helpdesk...) CCNP Voice, as great as it sounds, is a specialty cert which leads me to believe you want to work in the voice field. However, now you are talking about Microsoft certs... it's a little confusing.