Options

How does power failure cause DoS?

workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196
I read in a security chapter at Cisco Netacademy: "To reduce the possibility of DoS due to a power failure, install an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) and keep spare components available." My question is, how does power failure cause DoS? The system would be down.

Comments

• Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If the system is down legitimate users can't access servers/resources. So technically is a DOS.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    Thats also why it's important that our AAA facilities are redundant and protected. If we can't authorize we can DoS ourselves based on the same principal as above.
  • Options
    Carpe PorcusCarpe Porcus Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I read in a security chapter at Cisco Netacademy: "To reduce the possibility of DoS due to a power failure, install an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) and keep spare components available." My question is, how does power failure cause DoS? The system would be down.

So you are asking if the hardware is unavailable, will this deny service to those who use it?

Pretty self explanatory really. The service has been denied albeit malicious from an outside (or even inside attack) or by hardware failure. Regardless of the cause, the result is the same. You can't use what isn't available so the service has been denied.
    “I'm always admitting I'm wrong. That's how I eventually get to right.”
  • Options
    FLEOHBFLEOHB Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think its inportant to note the quote just says "DoS" (Denial of Service) not a "DoS attack" (someone broke it to your network and is making things no longer work)