How do I load IOS image onto 2960 switch? Newbie help

nopixelnopixel Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
I purchased a cisco 2960 switch for use with a home lab. After connecting to the console I get the following prompt in my emulator, switch:. I can't use any normal commands. What does this mean?

EDIT 1:
Upon using the boot command I'm getting the following error. How would I get the image from my PC to the switch and installed?
switch: boot
Loading "flash:c2960-lanbase-mz.122-25.SEE3/c2960-lanbase-mz.122-25.SEE3.bin"...flash:c2960-lanbase-mz.122-25.SEE3/c2960-lanbase-mz.122-25.SEE3.bin: no such file or directory

Error loading "flash:c2960-lanbase-mz.122-25.SEE3/c2960-lanbase-mz.122-25.SEE3.bin"

Interrupt within 5 seconds to abort boot process.
Boot process failed...
switch:

EDIT 2:
I will update this as I find solutions for anyone who might run into this problem building their own lab from eBay/craigslist parts. I am trying the xmodem recovery procedure (directions here) because I was stuck in switch bootloader mode with no image in flash to boot from. I'm using Tera Term VT as my terminal.
2018 goal: CCNA Collaboration - B]210-060[/B

Comments

• theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The only way to load IOS onto a switch with no IOS is to use XModem. I believe you would type:

copy xmodem: flash:c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-2.SE4.bin

substituting the filename for your IOS Image, and then under the menues for your Terminal Emulator select "Send File" or something similar and select your IOS Image and Xmodem-1K (?) as the mode if asked. PuTTY does not support XModem Transfers as best I can tell. I can't speak for Terra Term - Haven't used it. But, I know HyperTerminal does. That is how I loaded IOS onto both of my 2960s. Probably the same seller. You probably will want to set the BAUD up to 115200 to speed up the transfer. Do this before issuing the copy command.

set BAUD=115200

After changing the BAUD, you will lose your connection. Reconnect, but change the BAUD setting on the Terminal Emulator to 115200 to match the switch's new setting.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • nopixelnopixel Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Theo. Before your reply I did try to change my baud to 115200 because my first xmodem attempt failed (I/O input error). The set command worked on the switch but I couldn't get TT to work even after setting it's baud (and the COM) to 115200. I'm getting unintelligible text.

I've since rebooted the switch and any time I try to initialize the flash it goes back to 115200 baud and I'm stuck.

I'm going to try Hyper Terminal to see if I have any better luck.
  • WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
    @nopixel: I'd just use PuTTY. Regardless the terminal emulator you use, the serial speed and other parameters have to match what the switch is expecting. Default is 9600/8N1 with no Flow Control; if you've made changes you must match them exactly or it won't connect properly.
    Port: COM1 [if using built-in Serial Port], may be different (COM5, COM6, etc...) if using USB to Serial Adapter.
    Baud Rate: 115200
    Data: 8 bit
    Parity: None
    Stop: 1 bit
    Flow Control: None

Do you have access to a computer with a built-in Serial Port? I've had nothing but trouble from the USB to Serial Adapter I bought. Its possible the adapter could be part of the problem or you could try each of the various Baud Rates and see if perhaps a typo was made when setting the BAUD.
    WilyOne wrote: »
    @nopixel: I'd just use PuTTY. Regardless the terminal emulator you use, the serial speed and other parameters have to match what the switch is expecting. Default is 9600/8N1 with no Flow Control; if you've made changes you must match them exactly or it won't connect properly.

How are you supposed to perform a copy xmodem transfer with PuTTY?

I'm trying to transfer again using Tera Term. The first time I just went to File > Send. This time I'm trying File > Transfer > XMODEM > Send. Hopefully it's that simple.

I tried looking for HyperTerminal but I'm on Win7 and couldn't find a version?
  • WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
    PuTTY is for the console connection; it's much better than HyperTerm IMO, but I don't care what you use.

Here's the detailed instructions:
    Recovering Catalyst Fixed Configuration Switches from a Corrupted or Missing Image - Cisco Systems
    Allright problem solved. The reason my initial transfer of the IOS image didn't work was because I was using the incorrect send function within TeraTerm. You have to use the "File > Transfer > XMODEM > Send" function and not the "File > Send file" function. Maybe that will help someone.

I followed this guide for the proper process and commands to use: Recovering Catalyst Fixed Configuration Switches from a Corrupted or Missing Image - Cisco Systems

Also, i renamed the IOS image file to something shorter like c2960.bin before sending it over.

Now my switches are up and running! icon_cheers.gif

Thanks for the help guys. Back to icon_study.gif....
    WilyOne wrote: »
    PuTTY is for the console connection; it's much better than HyperTerm IMO, but I don't care what you use.

Here's the detailed instructions:
    Recovering Catalyst Fixed Configuration Switches from a Corrupted or Missing Image - Cisco Systems

I prefer PuTTY myself, but it doesn't support XModem without some kind of 3rd party addon. I have both PuTTY and HyperTerminal on the old laptop I bought [because it has a Serial Port]. I use HyperTerminal only when I need to use XModem. Otherwise, I use PuTTY.