So what made you choose MCSA 2012 over 2008?

as the title suggests what do you think? from talking to a recruiter the 2008 is very much in demand compared to 2012 at the moment. I want to do 2012 because of the changes its brings to the table. i know most organisations will be shifting to 2008 compared to 2012 from my current experience
Currently Studying: CCNP Security
300-206 - Completed 04-Jul-2014
300-209 - Completed 09-May-2017
300-208 - TBC
300-210 - TBC

Comments

• googolgoogol Member Posts: 107
    I did not get the MCSE in 2003, but I got it for 2008 (MCITP) when it was relatively young so it was more future proof. In fact, when I began taking the tests, they were converting them over to R2 and introducing R2 questions into it so kinda worked out good.

However, now comes the time where some folks are shifting to 2012 to use the new features. They aren't going to transition everything that fast, but Server 2003 is going EOL and that will cause a large migration, which I have been involved in doing for last several years in previous positions. Most of the folks already are invested in 2008 and probably be best to do that, then just take the one test to upgrade to MCSA 2012 which is what I recently took (70-417). Majority of folks that want Server 2012 (well now 2012 R2), is probably for Hyper-V v3 for smaller shops or those that do not deal with VMware.
  • BibleblackbabybirdBibleblackbabybird Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Honestly because I feel like 2012 looks more prestigious than 2008. 2008 has been available for 5 years, 2012 obviously hasn't.
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would say i am choosing it because in the company that i work for does desktop support and server support for our clients whether i like it or not i have to be MCSE certified in order to work with the company either than that i think its one of those certs that grab my interest and i think its amazing what a server can do, so i think its a good idea to have good knowledge about it too.
  • BudzyBudzy Member Posts: 117
    After finishing the 2008 MCITP:SA, I was in a quandary somewhat between getting the MCITP:EA or skipping it and starting the 2012 stuff.

In the end I went for the 2012 track to fulfil future MS partner requirements.
  • stealthgeekstealthgeek Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is why. 2008 isnt going anywhere soon, but 2012 is becoming more and more in demand. Once we get R2, this trend will continue. Especially once Microsoft and their partners demonstrate some of the cool new features (PowerShell, gui/core ease, hyper-v etc)
  • MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Work requirement to get certified in 2012. No contest :D
  • MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I should continue to say that 2008 is still very much in demand and still highly used. I do think that eventually 2012 will be the way technology moves and you will not find a lot that you can't figure out in 2008 if you learn 2012. I think there would be stuff in 2012 that you might not figure out if you only learn 2008. Just mho