Options

Firewall use case scenario

notheorynotheory Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I have to create a Firewall use case. I've never done this before (I'm quite new to IT-Security but my company is starting to include me as that's the direction I want to head).

I did some Google search which didn't really help me.

The use case will be used to determine with which security model we will go in the future (departmental VLAN's and VRF's, High-Medium-Low based VRF's etc.).

Anyone did this before? Did you use Excel or maybe even Visio?

Any help appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I usually use a combination of either a Word doc or Power Point presentation and Visio diagrams included. Write up a list of must have features, good to have features, possible future needs features, price, support, staff familiarity, etc. Break them all down into a nice Pros/Cons table and make your suggestion based on this data.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I usually build a high level one page exec summary capturing the business rules and a step by step process bulleted list and high level risk. I then will build a Visio diagram capturing the workflow to the next owner upstream and downstream. I'll create a excel document capturing the financials and break that out along with some forecasted cost.