Just passed Network+, what next?

mrtom82mrtom82 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just passed the Network+ N10-005 and I'm looking for some advice on what to do next. I'm not sure if I should go for Security+ or Cisco CCENT. Any thoughts?

Comments

• gregorio323gregorio323 Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mrtom82 wrote: »
    I just passed the Network+ N10-005 and I'm looking for some advice on what to do next. I'm not sure if I should go for Security+ or Cisco CCENT. Any thoughts?

I'd say go for CCNA.
  • juicyjay36juicyjay36 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. I plan on doing Sec+ after I pass the exam so I can have the trio of Comptia certs.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! I would go for the Cisco CCNA icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations on pass!!! I would say if you would like to accomplish the comptia trio then should you go for sec+ cert but since you still have a fresh knowledge and a good foundation of knowledge in networking then this might be a good time for you to start on your CCNA certification.icon_wink.gif
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forums and congratulations on the Network+ pass.

I recommend Security+. After passing the Network+, you're very close. There is a lot of overlap between the two certs and you understand how CompTIA does it's questions. Many people pass the Security+ within 30 days after passing the Network+ exam. Also, many organizations recognize the security risks to their IT resources and value employees with IT-security knowledge. Even when they don't fully understand the Security+ cert, they recognize it shows you have some level of IT-security knowledge. Combined with the Network+, it adds breadth to your resume.

In contrast, the Cisco CCENT is a different vendor and has different testing methodologies. It'll take longer to complete and if you do it first and come back to the Security+ exam later, it'll take you longer to complete the Security+ exam simply because it isn't fresh. Similarly, right after doing the CCENT, the logical next step is CCNA.

Good luck no matter what path you choose.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations!
    Either would be good, but I agree with Darril. Go for the Security+, then go for CCENT.
    That's the path I followed.
  • DonM34DonM34 Member Posts: 139
    Since you have the foundation of Networking CCNA should be your next target.
    2014 Goal [ ] CCENT [ ] MCTS (Active Directory) [ ] CompTIA Security+
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    SharkDiver wrote: »
    Congratulations!
    Either would be good, but I agree with Darril. Go for the Security+, then go for CCENT.
    That's the path I followed.

Agreed...the Security+ is still vendor neutral so concepts of security related matters. Cisco exams will put you into the mode of actually configuring devices and the knowledge gained from CompTIA will help you as a foundation. Security+ would renew your Network+ and when you get to CCNA: Security for instance you can renew your Network+ and Security+ by passing the test. So each step you would essentially get a fresh three years.