Starting down MCSA 2008 road

Hello all,

I thought I'd join the site here after coming across it and reading some of the threads. I think it'll be valuable to ask questions here and answer some as well :)

I've already got some entry level certifications under my belt and have been in a help desk position for over a year now so things are going well there. I'm ready to take my person studies to the next level as I continue to gain IT experience. I have the MS Press book on the way and I rented it so I'll have to pace myself! I've also seen the resources that you all have shared in other threads so thank you for that. I will use them! I just thought I'd say hi and share some of my progress.

TL;DR: See thread title
:lol:

Comments

• ScrawnyRonnieScrawnyRonnie Member Posts: 112
    Thank you.

I've got virtualbox set up with 1 server and 1 Win 7 PC so far for a testing environment. Haven' gotten into any labs, but I'm looking forward to it.
  • GDL-LCGDL-LC Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Setup another 2 servers, a member sever and another DC are needed at least for the CS and DNS areas.
    Good luck.
    GDL-LC wrote: »
    Setup another 2 servers, a member sever and another DC are needed at least for the CS and DNS areas.
    Good luck.
    Do you know if I will be able to use the same ISO for the servers? I'm using the 180 day evaluation for 2008.

I'm also running virtualbox on a laptop with 4GB of RAM so should I set the other servers to be given 512 MB or something to run them all at once?
  • kingrobkingrob Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Why don't you rather do the Server 2012 R2 exams?
  • cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do you know if I will be able to use the same ISO for the servers? I'm using the 180 day evaluation for 2008.

Yes you can. when your VMs or Your labs reach 180 days old just delete them and create brand new ones. the eval starts when you install the os the clock starts. You will get a lot of practice creating and recreating labs. Good luck, Its a long road but it pays off!!
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm also running virtualbox on a laptop with 4GB of RAM so should I set the other servers to be given 512 MB or something to run them all at once?
    512MB is the minimum spec so expect it to be very slow. It's possible to run Client OS and 2 servers and maybe another client OS at a push but it would be more comfortable if you had more RAM (obviously). Hopefully you have an SSD otherwise it could be unbearably slow...
  • EspiOneEspiOne Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have chosen to follow that same path, as now the second shot vouchers have returned, as I look at my study plan, I have ALOT going on prior to even starting this.

For Work
    1. I have SANS-Security Essential (on Demand), doing on my own time.

2. I have SANS-Windows Security (on Demand), if approved, doing on my own time.

Personal
    3. I still have my Windows 8 Upgrade Exam Voucher, been pushing the exam back. I think it expires in Dec.

4. Start Server 2008 training in Jan 2014, 5 months and then hopefully, take my Server 2012 upgrade exam too.

I am with you. Anyone have a good ideal of how to set up a good study path??

While I was studying for my Windows 7 Administrator Exam, I step a notebook with Server 2008 and run VM in Hyper V, now that I have a new PC with 32Gb of ram, I plan to run Server 2008 and more VMs for a study lab.
    @kingrob I wanted to go ahead and get 2008 and then do the upgrade once 2012 R2 is done.

@Asif Dasl Setting the RAM to 1024MB has worked fine so far. I haven't run 4 at once yet so we'll see how that goes.
  • KoldKold Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Add me to the list as well. Just cracked open the book for 70-642. Hoping to complete all 3 exams in 3 months. Parts for my new PC arrived yesterday (I7, 32gb ram, SSD) so I'll start labbing hard this weekend.

For my study path, I'm just following the plan laid out to me by WGU (MOAC book + MOAC Labs) unless I find out about something more effective.
    Right on. Hope the studies go well for you.

kingrob - I've seen here people saying how little they see server 2012 in the real world, so I think 2008 will have more value to me right now, and 2012 is just 1 additional exam away to upgrade.

Asif Dasl - Yeah I upped the RAM to 1024 for 2 servers., and 512 for 1 server (core) and 1 pc. I haven't run all of them at once yet to see how much the laptop can handle, but so far so good.
    If you can get one, I have two of the HP Microservers. Add 8GB ram, and each one will run 4xVm's using ESXi. Perfect for labs.

Old ones are cheap on eBay.
    I've been going through some practice adding groups and users different ways. I don't get why there are 3 different command line ways (that I've seen so far) and the gui interface way to do the same thing. It's easier to right click on an OU and select new -> group than it is to type dsadd group "cn=Finance,ou=groups,dc=test,dc=local" -samid Finance -secgrp yes -scope g

Are the command line ways only practical if you're using the Core edition or importing excel files with a lot of users at once?
    Microsoft are pushing the command line, remote administration and scripting.

You don't really need to learn all the commands, just the layout of them and what the -options do.

The gui way is nice and all, but not on 10-20-30 servers.. it's a ball ache.