So EC-Council Won't let me Sit for CEH Exam...

Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
So, I have 16-17 months worth of InfoSec experience and hold a couple entry level InfoSec certs. I applied to take CEH and got hit with this email:

"If you do not meet the minimum of 2 years of verifiable work experience then your application cannot be approved according to policy. At this time, other certifications are not accepted in place of work experience."

Is it even worth arguing with them? I could swear I read on here where somebody didn't have 2 years experience and sat for and passed the exam. I've done all this studying and downloaded a bunch of tools, lost out on $100 bucks due to the CEH app fee, and could think of a million things I'd rather do with this 500 bucks I've saved up to pay for my exam, but I value the effort I've put in to take and pass this exam. I put in the time, so I just don't want all that effort and time spent to be for nothing.

What are your thoughts on what I should do? If I don't take CEH exam now, I doubt I'd come back to this exam 7 or 8 months from now.

Comments

• bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ec-council-ceh-chfi/16567-what-ceh-requirements.html

At the bottom.

"i dont have 2 yrs of exp in Info security, but i have a master degree in IT, security+ ccna, SSCP associate and a internship exp of 6 months. I faxed my details and transcripts and my managers letter and got the 2 yrs of exp waived off.

I would suggest u fax them ur case with as many docs to support and they shall review it case by case

hope it works for u"

Worth a shot at appealing. Worst they can say is "no" again.
  • Psyco32Psyco32 Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is the InfoSec experience documented on your resume?? I would submit that with a letter/s of recommendation from the employer/s where you gained the experience stating that you are qualified to sit the exam (I thought that was already a part of the application, but I could be wrong).
    2014 GOALS
    > GMOB [MAR_2014] OSCP [MAY_2014] GREM [OCT_2014]
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Khaos1911 wrote: »
    So, I have 16-17 months worth of InfoSec experience and hold a couple entry level InfoSec certs. I applied to take CEH and got hit with this email:

"If you do not meet the minimum of 2 years of verifiable work experience then your application cannot be approved according to policy. At this time, other certifications are not accepted in place of work experience."

Is it even worth arguing with them? I could swear I read on here where somebody didn't have 2 years experience and sat for and passed the exam. I've done all this studying and downloaded a bunch of tools, lost out on $100 bucks due to the CEH app fee, and could think of a million things I'd rather do with this 500 bucks I've saved up to pay for my exam, but I value the effort I've put in to take and pass this exam. I put in the time, so I just don't want all that effort and time spent to be for nothing.

What are your thoughts on what I should do? If I don't take CEH exam now, I doubt I'd come back to this exam 7 or 8 months from now.

Wow, thats the first time I have seen that. Maybe you should email them saying you have their check for $500 ready, but if they don't want it you'll gladly take it over to Mile2 or Security University...
  • diggitlediggitle Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "If a candidate attends an official instructor-led training (ILT), computer-based training (CBT), online live training, or academic learning, candidate is eligible to attempt the relevant EC-Council exam."

Otherwise they have to:

-Remit a non-refundable eligibility application fee of USD 100.00
    -Submit a completed Exam Eligibility Application Form.

Source: *
    https://cert.eccouncil.org/application-process-eligibility.html

I've been a pentester for 17 months. I know your pain. I'm going to new horizons for official training. Cost is $3,995. It's either that or wait until you have 2 years. I have no choice I have to have this certification by the end of Q4.
    c colon i net pub dubdubdub root
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Their $100 application fee is a scam.

All EC-Council did was email my boss.

Don't see how that took $100.

And on top of that, in the middle of the process, I got a random email saying it had never been received back from my boss which was not what I had been told on the phone.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Wow, thats the first time I have seen that. Maybe you should email them saying you have their check for $500 ready, but if they don't want it you'll gladly take it over to Mile2 or Security University...

That is truth right there. Must have somebody new in the office.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I bet they closely review only a certain percentage of applications and hope that people who lack the required experience just not apply. You won the lottery and got an actual review and they said no.

The thing is "well so and so got away with it" isn't always a good excuse to get over requirements, I would write them again but yeah I wouldn't pay that 100 dollars to do it. I would just wait.
  • diggitlediggitle Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The application fee is for if you didn't take the official course. You still have to prove you have 2 years of experience. Three ways out of it is to A have the 2 years of experience, B take the official course, or C plead your case. Hopefully C will work for them.
    c colon i net pub dubdubdub root
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    diggitle wrote: »
    "If a candidate attends an official instructor-led training (ILT), computer-based training (CBT), online live training, or academic learning, candidate is eligible to attempt the relevant EC-Council exam."

Otherwise they have to:

-Remit a non-refundable eligibility application fee of USD 100.00
    -Submit a completed Exam Eligibility Application Form.

Source: *
    https://cert.eccouncil.org/application-process-eligibility.html

I've been a pentester for 17 months. I know your pain. I'm going to new horizons for official training. Cost is $3,995. It's either that or wait until you have 2 years. I have no choice I have to have this certification by the end of Q4.

$3,995!? Thats insane! You can take the online course, which is a week long and pay less than half of that through ECCouncil!
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would appeal it... if they still want to take your money and run, worst case, you could dispute the charge with the credit card company. I doubt they would fight that, that way you could at least get your money back... I don't see this as an ethical dilemma, since it is an unethical charge to begin with.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I've never seen a training company turn away a student. The way I see it, you pay, they order the vouchers. After all, i'd love to see them explain this: UK teen is world's youngest certified ethical hacker (maybe) (UK teen is world's youngest certified ethical hacker (maybe) ) how does a 16 year old have 2 years of security experience that can be verified by an employer?
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It took Kelly about 10 months to complete the course work and pass the four-hour test required to get the accreditation. That included a five-day boot camp.

You don't need two years experience if you take the boot camp/training from EC-Council.

What I'm more curious is how he managed to pay for it...
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna