Working Hard

joe3523joe3523 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone!

Here is the deal. I work for a small local power company that was supposed to get me experience while I am in school. Not a bad idea...well I see myself getting left behind in some of the new technology that this small company wont be able to use. Do you guys see that as something that will keep me from getting a job that I really want?

JUST SOME INFO

21 Years Old
AS in Computer Information Technology
BA almost done
MCSA
3 Years experience

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It depends... Do you have other offers to work in the IT field? Most experience is GOOD experience. Sometimes, doing without the latest/greatest forces you to become more creative. For instance, the lack of funds to buy good backup software or imaging software forces you to use scripting (shell or VBS or something) to automate the processes involved (unless you like manually backing up several machines or spending 2 days to set up a new computer).

That's just my 2 cents, and I'll even give you a one time discount of 2 cents so it was FREE! :D
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • joe3523joe3523 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Other offers? No...I have been looking at other organizations but all the ones I want to work for require BA and I am not quite there yet. I just dont want to be behind majorly on the new technology for the large organizations. I try to keep current by going to the meetings for Micrsoft and reading up in magazines but that doesnt take the place of expereince in that technology.

I see what you are saying with find new ways of doing things...and I have had to do that...scripting for instance is a good way around things.

So would it be smart to push forward with my certifications along with school and work? Not easy but thats the circumstance i had when i got my mcsa.
    Only you can determine what is a good work/school/personal life balance. If you have the drive and ability to pursue certifications without other areas (like your BA degree) suffering, then by all means go for it.

Incidentally, it's guys like you that keep old farts like me from getting too laid back in our jobs. I have to keep my skills and certifications current and relavent or else the young bucks with 200 certifications, BA/Masters degrees, and good social skills may end up with my job. icon_wink.gif
    Yeah, I want to be able to go out and get that job that I want and not have the employer say "well, you dont have this cert or this amount of experience or dont know about this new technology."

Dont get me wrong, the job I have now is nice but its not me. I want to work under people and with people and have people work under me. :)

HA yeah i have heard that before keeping the older IT people from relaxing. But from my point of view, I wouldnt want to take that job. I would want to work under some with experience so I can acquire the experience and knowledge...just not happening here.
    Just out of curiosity, what kind of IT work are you currently responsible for and on what size network? Is it a Windows environment?

BTW - Thanks for letting me keep my job! :P
    HAHA No problem man. Its all yours...FOR NOW! icon_eek.gif

I am responsible for everything from Help Desk to Network Infrastructure. I even do Crystal Reporting. I like to work with MS and thats what I use except for our CIS and ABS servers....they are SUSE. I havent really got ahold of the linux too much b/c i do everything and dont hav etime. LOL
    Sounds like you are getting good experience even if you don't have all the new wizbang tech stuff. Hang in there and you'll be better off than most guys with a brand new BA degree looking for a good IT job.
    Yeah lets hope...thats why I have been overloading myself...hopefully help me after BA. LOL I live in Indiana and dont know how much you know about IN but i think its like 90 percent of our college grads leave the state...b/c we dont have those big companies really. We got a few but when there are only a few then its wanted by everyone.
    I don't know much about Indiana, though I spent several years in the western burbs of Chicago. Used to visit my buddies when they were going to Perdue. The only thing I remember is the goofy split time zone thing. I never knew what time it was when I was in Indiana...
    HAHA yeah we fixed that...finally. most of indiana is on eastern now.