LX0-102 - Failed :/

CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
So I failed LX0-102 today, got a 480, needed 500 meh. This is the first time I have failed a test ever in my life so it is extremely frustrating and discouraging. I felt extremely confident and well-prepared going into this exam, but as soon I started the test I was seeing questions that I really felt like wasn't in our material. A quarter of the test felt like that to me.

What I don't understand is that I went though all of the LabSim material-twice, then I took multiple practice exams on LabSim and have been consistently scoring 100%. All the domain exams...100% across the board multiple times. How is it possible for me to fail the real exam when I'm scoring the maximum on the practice exams? Are there better ones out there maybe? Should I utilize outside resources not provided by WGU?

On a side note, if any WGU students read this and are taking DSV1, what was your experience?
IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
(Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
Required:
SBT1 RGT1 RIT1

Comments

• The_ExpertThe_Expert Member Posts: 136
    Sorry to hear about your score... I also took the LX0-102 exam today, but passed it. I'm like you - I went into the exam feeling pretty confident about what I have been practicing. I too saw a few things that were new to me... I so believed I would score at least 700+ points today.

Not sure about your study materials. We all have our areas of strenghts and weaknesses when it comes to certain topics. Use the printout you received today and focus on the areas you missed.

I'm going to do the same...

Don't give up hope! You're so close!!!
    Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

Studying on again, off again...
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Sorry to hear about the fail. Just keep with it and you'll get that pass, which is such a great feeling because the L+ is probably the hardest CompTIA exam next to the CASP.
  • CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. After going out for the first time in awhile and getting wasted last night to soothe the pains, I'm ready to double down and really dig in again. Hopefully I can reschedule this and pass it next week then move on to S+.

On a side note, I guess I should have mentioned that I had 0 linux experience going in, and I was trying to bang this out in 2 weeks, which is most likely where my problems stem from. Again, thanks for reading my rants and throwing me some feedback!

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    I would never have attempted this with two weeks of experience. Or three weeks.
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Maybe it's WGU's study materials. It is a relatively new course that they've added to their curriculum so they may not know which learning resources will produce the best results just yet. I did feel like I ran into some questions that weren't in the study material but I already had a few years of linux administration to help me through.
  • ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    multiple answer questions are tough and sometimes the answers are so close to the other that is it confusing, just don't give up and try again, you will pass it next time
  • EcioEcio Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What do you think about this book
    [h=1]CompTIA Linux+ Study Guide: Exams LX0-101 and LX0-102 [/h]CompTIA Linux+ Study Guide: Exams LX0-101 and LX0-102: Roderick W. Smith: 9781118531747: Amazon.com: Books

for preparing for the two exams?
  • The_ExpertThe_Expert Member Posts: 136
    I have / use the Comptia Linux+ Study guide as a secondary resource.

I would highly recommend you get the following book as your main reference:

Linux+ Guide to Linux Certification
    Linux+ Guide to Linux Certification (Networking (Course Technology)): Jason W. Eckert: 9781418837211: Amazon.com: Books

This is a college text book which is probably one of the best books I have seen on this subject. The book contains exercises in each chapter which covers what you will see on the Linux+ exam.

By reading the book and practicing your skills with the hands-on exercises, you'll be well prepared to pass the Linux+ exams.

Note that this book uses an older flavor of Linux (Fedora 12) - however, the concepts you will learn will carry over to newer versions.

You'll be ready to pass the LX0-101 exam once you complete the 1st seven (7) chapters. The second half will cover LX0-102. There are about 14 chapters in this book.

Good luck to you!
    Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

Studying on again, off again...
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Failure is not easy to deal with but it motivates you to succeed at your next attempt. I have to say 2 weeks with no Linux experience is a bold move.
    Try going through the Linux+ guide from Sybex. Hope it helps.
    Thanks for all the support guys, another reason why I love TE!

I attempted this again on Monday (9/30) and passed with a score of 810! :) For anyone interested, I passed LX0-101 (560 score) with only two weeks of studying, LX0-102 took me four weeks and two attempts. I am lucky to be able to dedicate about 80% of my time for school and studying which is why I felt confident attempting these exams in the time frame that I did!

I started WGU on August 1st, and with this pass I now have OTP already with 4 months left in the term! Next up is Security+, which I hope to bang out in a month.

Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • aaronwaaronw Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great news! Did you end up using any more resources to study for the 2nd attempt?
    Honestly, I just went though the LabSim material twice for LX0-101, and 4 times for LX0-102 (twice before fail, twice after). Then I Google'd about 5 commands that I vividly remember being on the first exam that I failed, but could not find any information about in the LabSim material. They gave me access to SkillSoft too, but when reviewing that material I noticed there was a lot of stuff covered that wasn't even in the exam objectives so I opted to not use it. If I was planning on getting a Linux type job, I probably would have went through the SkillSoft material as it is looks like good stuff, just not useful for the Linux+ exam.

I am very happy to have this cert done because it is the only class at WGU in which I had 0 experience going in. Everything else I have dabbled with over the years so the concepts are much easier for me to learn. I definitely won't be one of those one term machines like I have seen on here, but a two term finish is looking very promising!

Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • me874yme874y Banned Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    so inspiring. its not that im saying that im expecting to failed. but whenever it happens, i know i can still pass the exam :) congrats to you TS
  • MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    Cool. Same experience. Linux+ took me about 2 weeks. I found my 2001 A+ exam to be far more difficult though. Perhaps because it was my first IT exams though (2 exams at the time).
  • ITrascalITrascal Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was curious on where to stop at for the LX0-101 with this book. Didnt want to over study or just read it all and just take both either the same day or a couple days apart.
  • SixtyCycleSixtyCycle Member Posts: 111
    @CoolasAFan: Which book did you use to prepare for the exam? You mentioned sims, were they provided by WGU? What is the average length of a course at WGU and are you required to pass the certification by the end of the course (in this case DSV1 - Linux)?
  • bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @CoolasAFan - Failing doesn't define us, what defines us is how we deal with failure. I have failed a few exams while going to WGU. I went on to hit the books and came out on the other side victorious. I just remember that Thomas Edison failed more times then he could count, but when he did get the light bulb right. Man I bet Edison was hearing Handel's "Messiah" in his head. Had he invented the light bulb after the first try, he would have been like "cool".

“There are no traffic jams on the extra mile.” Zig Ziglar
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • hookedonhousehookedonhouse Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm studying at WGU as well. I am in the same boat. I crushed all the practice exams and domain exams. I thought going through all the domain tests answering all possible study questions correctly would prepare me for the test. I scored a 420. Its the first exam I've failed. I'm feeling a little sideways about it because it wasn't for a lack of studying or preparation. I totally blame Labsim and WGU for not having material to prepare the student for this exam. i think i saw maybe 8 questions out of 60 that were similar to the study guide. The rest were out of left field. Seems like this exam had far fewer multiple choice questions than others i've taken in the IT program at WGU. Which sucks. You add a letter or miss a forward slash and the answer is wrong even though you are right there on the answer. i'm gonna hit quizlet and see if i can find some flash cards to add to my ipad. Thanks for nothing WGU
  • hookedonhousehookedonhouse Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hahaahha just noticed you got smashed after the fail.. picked up a fifth of absolute on my way home from the testing center. having an adult beverage as we speak. its the only thing that's gonna bring me down from the copious amounts of vyvanse being broken down by my liver.
  • lawrence_of_arabialawrence_of_arabia Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got this cert as part of the WGU program as well. I ended up barely using the labsim and bought the cbt nuggets. That, man pages, and the O' Reilly pocket linux guide helped a lot. I just barely got through 101 though, that mofo was tough...