Options

N+ after ccna ?

aia87aia87 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
hey guys

i have a weird question :)

so i was studying for N+ to get into networking and then i found a great offer for ccna course within my area that could save me alot of money and i couldn't resist it :)

i was already about half way through N+ self studying
i was studying N+ using cbt nuggets keith series and CompTIA Network+ N10-005 Authorized Exam Cram book

so i asked the ccna instructor and told him about my situation and he said i was ok

well, i'm now done with ccna ..and took the exam too and passed with high score
used sybex book and cbt nuggets videos by jeremy and INE free ccna class on youtube

my question is:

should i go back to finish N+ after having CCNA or by passing ccna i already have the knowledge within N+ certification ?
will N+ cert will have any value for me now after having ccna ?
should i aim for ccnp now or should i go back to N+ an finish it before ccnp ?

ty

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There's absolutely, positively no reason to get Network+ if you have CCNA. There's very, very little that the Net+ covers that CCNA doesn't, and it will provide absolutely no resume value over a CCNA. Keep your $150 or $200 or whatever it costs these days and move on to bigger and better things.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    ptilsen wrote: »
    there's absolutely, positively no reason to get network+ if you have ccna. There's very, very little that the net+ covers that ccna doesn't, and it will provide absolutely no resume value over a ccna. Keep your $150 or $200 or whatever it costs these days and move on to bigger and better things.
    well said.
  • Options
    NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    Yeah, I agree with ptilsen as well. CCNA is vastly superior in every way to the Network+.
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
  • Options
    aia87aia87 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thx every1 for responding and clearing this delima for me

i think i heading to ccna security then .. since i work within an environment which contain a lot of security appliances

cheers
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are saying you passed with a high score then you don't really need to go back to Net+, i think the net+ was just to help you get prepared for higher certs like CCNA so i think you should move on...
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    There's absolutely, positively no reason to get Network+ if you have CCNA. There's very, very little that the Net+ covers that CCNA doesn't, and it will provide absolutely no resume value over a CCNA. Keep your $150 or $200 or whatever it costs these days and move on to bigger and better things.

The only way you would probably NEED to go back is if you worked for the government because some jobs will require it per the 8570 mandate. If you want another certification to your name you could take the exam and I would think you would not have any problem passing...Cisco seems to be much more in depth on networking, where CompTIA is a general vendor neutral exam.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The only reason I can think of you needing Net+ after getting a CCNA would be if you worked for the DoD. DoD 8570 has Net+ rated as an IAT I level cert but does not have CCNA anywhere in its directive. Kinda of silly if you ask me.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    Security+ meets the same requirement and actually enhances knowledge on top of CCNA. It would be the far more logical choice to meet 8570 for someone who holds CCNA, and subjectively, its difficulty is pretty comparable to Net+ and easily lower than CCNA.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Security+ meets the same requirement and actually enhances knowledge on top of CCNA. It would be the far more logical choice to meet 8570 for someone who holds CCNA, and subjectively, its difficulty is pretty comparable to Net+ and easily lower than CCNA.

Yes...however some specifically list the position requiring Network+. Also the mandate was created to have a baseline to refer to...N+ gets the information across to get people...especially people serving...qualified quickly and able to do the job. Plus who said all equipment in the DoD was specifically Cisco? I would assume they wouldn't want to be locked down so it is painful to switch. Have to remember Cisco certifications really are a step higher than an entry level.
  • Options
    Right, I'm not questioning why the DoD uses Network+ for IAT Level 1. I have no problem with that. I'm just questioning it as a sensible choice for a person who has CCNA. I can't imagine there are many, if any instances in which a person isn't qualified for a desired DoD job with CCNA and Security+ rather than CCNA and Network+. I also don't assume DoD has pure Cisco or even mostly Cisco; CCNA covers a lot of general networking concepts and as a result is largely a superset of Network+ material. Even the Cisco-specific stuff transfers to other vendor equipment fairly well. Again, not a reason for DoD to go Cisco, just a reason why someone with a CCNA would still want to skip Net+.
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    an additional cert is always welcome, especially if you can back it up with experience.
    I also heard that N+ is valued in Canada. If I were you, that's the only reason why I would go for it :)