Cisco VIRL

JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
Anyone had a chance to check it out in any way yet? I'm hoping it comes out before I start my official CCIE push. The one thing I haven't heard anything about yet is whether it will have switching included or allow some type of switch connectivity.

Comments

• Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Its still not released but expected to have better switching functionality than current IOU releases.
  • JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    I know they plan to include NXOS, but I haven't heard anything about regular switching platforms like 3750. Can you point me to any links discussing that?
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I wouldn't set your expectations too high with VIRL. Cisco, themselves, haven't even worked out the details of what they want it to be, how it's supposed to be delivered, the customer, the support, etc.

I was at Orlando Cisco Live. And the presenter/booth attendant at the certification booth couldn't give 100% details. Neither could the one near the UC/Data Center VIRL kiosk.

What can be said is it has the potential to be a great development and certification tool. From the version I tested at Live, one could operate XR, NXOS, IOS, 1000V and use virtual machines integrated into one platform. Access to IOS 15.

It's has the potential to replace GNS3, Packet Tracer and IOU (which it borrows from). I think the UI still needs work. And hopefully, they figure out the licensing and the level of support. If free, it trumps JUNOSSphere as a tool (in not needing a cost of investment) and will further cement the Cisco congregation/following.

I think Brian Dennis has tweets about VIRL. Also, it was discussed on the Packet Pushers podcast during Live.
    I'll let you guys know how it is within the next month :)

Initial word is it's a memory hog, along the lines of GNS3. I find that funny, though, considering IOU is fantastic with memory. We'll see though..it's still in pre-release form.
    Please do let us know. I really want to hit the CCIE hard next year and this could be an amazing resource.
    Jackace wrote: »
    Please do let us know. I really want to hit the CCIE hard next year and this could be an amazing resource.

Bingo. I'm hoping to use it for IOS-XR labbing specifically..we will see how it all turns out though.
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    Bingo. I'm hoping to use it for IOS-XR labbing specifically..we will see how it all turns out though.

Yeah I work for a service provider and we are in the process of replacing as all our 7600s with ASR9Ks. VIRL would be very nice to have right now, and in the future when/if I decide to tackle the SP track.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    I'll let you guys know how it is within the next month :)

Initial word is it's a memory hog, along the lines of GNS3. I find that funny, though, considering IOU is fantastic with memory. We'll see though..it's still in pre-release form.

To make omelets, you have to break some eggs. I think as long as they provide support for the platform, which is my only concern, I'm sure his will supersede GNS3 as the platform of choice. But it all depends. Like I said before, we need more concrete info.

As far as switches go, GNS3 is lacking this. At least we know, down the road that VIRL will incorporate it. There's a lot of potential. But there's also potential to create a license and pay wall-filled nightmare.

Look forward to your feedback, Mike.
    Absolutely, I don't think it will be a question of VIRL vs. GNS3, GNS3 will become the new packet tracer, so to speak. That being said, a couple of Cisco.com blog posts make me quite excited about it- they detail a couple of engineers doing some proof of concept testing with VIRL (using IOS-XR) and how wonderfully it worked, etc, etc- all I could help but think as I read that was, "If the internal Cisco folks are using it and finding it a great tool, then it must be pretty good" - but of course, it could be Cisco positioning it for a sale down the road, too.

We'll see what happens, hopefully I can snag some use soon, but the word I keep hearing repeatedly is that the current form is filled with bugs and such since it's not a final product, which is to be expected, but those who have it are definitely keeping it close to home.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am really excited for VIRL, I only hope it lives up to expectations :)