Options

A+ Certification question ?

windywalkswindywalks Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am preparing for the A+ exam and have a question for all those who passed 801/802 recently.

Can I go through 801 part first,give the 801 exam only and then prepare for 802 part or what is recommended ?

Any input or suggestions are really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    JLAW904JLAW904 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yea, it's two completely separate tests you can take on different days if you want. I would have preferred to do it all in one sitting... but didn't have enough time to do the second one that day, and took it a week later.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I echo JLAW904, it's really up to you how you take both exams, you can definitely prepare for the first exam and book when you feel confident enough to take the exam then you can start preparing for the next exam, i also advice you to take your time when studying because these exams are self-paced unless if you are working on a time frame but it all depends on you. I took one month reading the guide and had 1-2 weeks in between taking the both exams. Good luck with your studies!!!:)
  • Options
    ScrawnyRonnieScrawnyRonnie Member Posts: 112
    I'd also say personal preference. I took both exams the same day. If I remember correctly I got the results right away. It would be hard to take the 2nd exam right after finding out you didn't pass the 1st one so that's always a concern.
    :lol:
  • Options
    adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I must be really different...I studied for the first part only, took it, and have spent the last month studying for the second part, which I'm going to be taking in about a week.
  • Options
    chipcreepchipcreep Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    adam220891 wrote: »
    I must be really different...I studied for the first part only, took it, and have spent the last month studying for the second part, which I'm going to be taking in about a week.

That's what I'm doing. Do you feel like the 802 is more difficult considering it involves troubleshooting everything? That's probably why people say to take them close together but I don't think I could retain everything for both exams at once.
  • Options
    adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure...A lot of the 802 seems repetitive. The troubleshooting for example references a lot of commands discussed in the first chapter and the mobile devices and security sections are very simple and mostly a matter of common sense. I think the material is lengthier to go through but is more practical and less memorization (of dozens of ports, sockets, speeds, etc).

I don't want to take chances not passing with the money on the line, so I've taken a month for each test, but probably could've done it sooner.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    chipcreep wrote: »
    That's what I'm doing. Do you feel like the 802 is more difficult considering it involves troubleshooting everything? That's probably why people say to take them close together but I don't think I could retain everything for both exams at once.

I'm an utter noob to the world of certifications, and I haven't taken the A+ yet, but I have to say this: if you aren't retaining the knowledge long enough to take the tests seperately, did you really know it well enough in the first place?
  • Options
    chipcreepchipcreep Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Before May of this year, no. I didn't know much at all besides your basic computer knowledge. I am retaining a lot, though, considering how little I knew before I started studying.

I feel like the A+, as a whole, is a lot to retain if you want to take them on the same day is what I meant.