2nd Attempt not clear!!!!! - cissp

Althmash7Althmash7 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Very depressed that I was not able to clear cissp in 2nd attempt also .
Scored 625 marks dont knw what to study as to clear the exam as done many hard work

Nw planning to buy studiscope plz suggest whether I should buy this stuff or any other things I should do clear exam

Plz suggest guys

Comments

• mister704mister704 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What all did you use to study? Might help.

I am hoping a praying myself. I take it my 3rd time this Saturday. I am and have not ever been good a standardized tests. I am hoping that I put enough effort in this time.

I have used Transcender, Shon Harris web site, my safari books account, and literally every exam I can find.

If you haven't tried those, maybe give them a shot. I am feeling good about it, but still very nervous. Stick with it. I was very depressed by my missing it the 2nd time but my wife helped me stay confident. And my company paid for me to take it again so I am trying again.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I just bought the Studiscope exams and have taken the 1st set. I am about to take the 2nd set right now actually. I would say I like them better than the Transcender questions I purchased but I don't know that they are worth the price premium. I guess I'll find out on the 24th whether the Studiscope questions are a good indicator of what to expect on the real exam and Ill report on that.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    For the first two posters to this thread, a few questions: 1. Do you have Security+? 2. How much experience do you have in Information Security? 3. Is English your native language? 4. Have you tried the test questions at cccure.org?
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    1. No I don't have Sec+. Got close to taking it but my company wanted me to go for CISSP. I have almost passed it both times without knowing what I know now. (First attempt, I did not even have a year in Info Sec experience)
    2. I am currently on my 2nd year in Info Sec. Was a developer before that
    3. English is my native language
    4. I used cccure the first go round and they seemed to not help me much in remembering and identifying weak areas. Could also be because I was focused on school and wedding at the same time.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    1. It is a mistake to attempt this without being sure that you have fundamental security knowledge.
    2. With a lack of experience, you may not have the proper perspective necessary to answer the scenarios presented. To just let you know, the test's perspective is this: do what management says, do what management approves, etc.
    3. I mention English because, from my recollection, it was an English test more than anything else. (It could have changed recently, but that is how I remember it.) You can understand what they are talking about, and know what answer you should choose. What you must be very careful about is the wording of the questions and answers. Do not get distracted by the scenarios. This test weeds out people weak in English more than it weeds out people weak in security.
    4. I thought that cccure was an awesome resource, as it helped on analyzing the scenarios. I only used their free questions.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    instant000 wrote: »
    1. It is a mistake to attempt this without being sure that you have fundamental security knowledge.
    2. With a lack of experience, you may not have the proper perspective necessary to answer the scenarios presented. To just let you know, the test's perspective is this: do what management says, do what management approves, etc.
    3. I mention English because, from my recollection, it was an English test more than anything else. (It could have changed recently, but that is how I remember it.) You can understand what they are talking about, and know what answer you should choose. What you must be very careful about is the wording of the questions and answers. Do not get distracted by the scenarios. This test weeds out people weak in English more than it weeds out people weak in security.
    4. I thought that cccure was an awesome resource, as it helped on analyzing the scenarios. I only used their free questions.

Hope this helps.

Nice. Thanks for the info. Can you point me to the free questions. I am trying to locate them. I still have an account on cccure but it points me to freepracticetests.com.

What it looks like to me is they no longer offer the free subset. It is trying to make me go back and renew.

Never mind...I got it working.
  • moyondizvomoyondizvo Member Posts: 155
    What resources are you guys using? Do you have a timeframe that you so are supposed to attempt/achieve this designation?
  • Althmash7Althmash7 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have gone through all available resources found on net still no luck feeling very bad that was not able year the exam

Now trying luck on Studiscope and see whether I can crack the exam with help of this

plz suggest any tricks to clear this exam
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I just bought the Studiscope exams and have taken the 1st set. I am about to take the 2nd set right now actually. I would say I like them better than the Transcender questions I purchased but I don't know that they are worth the price premium. I guess I'll find out on the 24th whether the Studiscope questions are a good indicator of what to expect on the real exam and Ill report on that.

Any u send me ur email address I need some help from you
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For the most part the CISSP is an experience exam that doesn't always map out to concepts in general. There are many enough quiz books out there that can help as well.

- beads
    beads wrote: »
    For the most part the CISSP is an experience exam that doesn't always map out to concepts in general. There are many enough quiz books out there that can help as well.

- beads

Beads trust me I hv taken my quiz but ques don't match the real exam therefore buying studiscope as thy r official from quiz from ISC2
  • redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is English your first language? What language are you taking the exam in? How is your comprehension of said language?

Knowing the information is exactly as important as deciphering the questions to find what they're asking for. They'll throw curves like that.

Quizzes will only help you to an extent. You need to tie down and learn/understand/be able to apply the information. It's not like (ISC)2 is going to put real CISSP questions in StudiScope (I hope?), they're still just going to be a representative assessment of your levels of knowledge. Using quizzes as a primary study method (which I have done) requires a lot more work than "oh okay that's the answer to this", you have to research and understand why that answer is as such, and in what situations other answers may be correct. It's not all-inclusive and it's a poor way to prepare for an exam.

After sitting the exam twice, you should have the question format well in hand. You need to use that knowledge of the question format to your advantage in future attempts.

Also, "all available resources found on net" doesn't really tell anyone what you studied for this exam... did you use the Shon Harris book? CISSP for Dummies? Flashcards from some random flashcard website? Just Transcender quizzes? Videos from Shon Harris's website?

To be able to provide insight, we need information.

EDIT: I don't want to be the guy who says it, but it almost sounds like you're trying to find a brain **** for the CISSP. The question bank is, to my understanding, solidly into four figures. Not only will you waste another ($500? $600?) exam fee, but on the off chance you pass, you'll be another paper cert detracting credibility from those of us who work, study, and have the experiential knowledge to pass these exams.
    redz wrote: »
    Is English your first language? What language are you taking the exam in? How is your comprehension of said language?

Knowing the information is exactly as important as deciphering the questions to find what they're asking for. They'll throw curves like that.

Quizzes will only help you to an extent. You need to tie down and learn/understand/be able to apply the information. It's not like (ISC)2 is going to put real CISSP questions in StudiScope (I hope?), they're still just going to be a representative assessment of your levels of knowledge. Using quizzes as a primary study method (which I have done) requires a lot more work than "oh okay that's the answer to this", you have to research and understand why that answer is as such, and in what situations other answers may be correct. It's not all-inclusive and it's a poor way to prepare for an exam.

After sitting the exam twice, you should have the question format well in hand. You need to use that knowledge of the question format to your advantage in future attempts.

Also, "all available resources found on net" doesn't really tell anyone what you studied for this exam... did you use the Shon Harris book? CISSP for Dummies? Flashcards from some random flashcard website? Just Transcender quizzes? Videos from Shon Harris's website?

To be able to provide insight, we need information.

EDIT: I don't want to be the guy who says it, but it almost sounds like you're trying to find a brain **** for the CISSP. The question bank is, to my understanding, solidly into four figures. Not only will you waste another ($500? $600?) exam fee, but on the off chance you pass, you'll be another paper cert detracting credibility from those of us who work, study, and have the experiential knowledge to pass these exams.

Redz if I was trying to find **** I have done it in 1st attempt why would spent money on 2 attempt

I have missed it by 75 marks was unfortunate tht I was nt able to clear n language is nt prob I want help from u guys what more I should to clear and I am buying studiscope for better understanding of how isc2 provides the format .

if possible plz help me
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Althmash7 wrote: »
    ...and I am buying studiscope for better understanding of how isc2 provides the format.
    You have seen two full CISSP exams, so you now know well the format of the exam items. Buying the studISCope practice exams to see their exam item format will therefore not help you. I'm guessing that your problem is incorrectly interpreting what the exam items are asking. It may also be that you are attempting to derive the correct answer from clues in the questions and not from a proper analysis of what each question is asking.

The test taking strategies you have used for easier exams obviously aren't serving you well for the CISSP. You might also consider that you are having a problem interpreting the written English language on the CISSP exam. I remember a number of items on my exam that were decidedly worded in something other than the King's English.
  • kalkan999kalkan999 Member Posts: 269 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Agree with our resident Jedi Master, JD on this one. I have some more to add as just food for thought. I've known of one person with less than two years in InfoSec who passed this test, and he spent the four months prior to completely immersed in studying when he wasn't working. You've taken this test twice, and scored in the 600's without the recommended experience and that says a lot about your ability and level of commitment.

Take everyone's advice posted here, but don't drown yourself in alternative methods used by others, as I learned from my own experience that I had to study in a way that worked for me. If you want advice that better fits your experience, read through the posts and find others who are not CISSP's but Associates who passed the test and are now putting in their time. Emerald Octane is a good start. Read his posts. I have a lot of experience in this field but had to take the test three times after scoring in the low 600's and 695 because I have never done well with standardized testing, but that's me.
    Preparing for and taking this test is a wild ride, and a crucible for most. I used to get frustrated when I read how people passed the test after 2 hours, when each attempt took the entire 6 hours. The 'Ride' only gets wilder once you pass the test. Even as an Associate, there will be MANY new doors open to you. MANY. DO not be discouraged or disheartened by those who have a CISSP and say it is of little value, or by those who don't have the CISSP and see no value in taking it.
    My biggest takeaway from being a CISSP is that it focused me like a laser-beam in wanting to be someone who changes the way that IT and Managers alike view those of us who are InfoSec. The 'System' is broken and needs fixing. Who better to fix it than a small but dedicated group of people who are committed to enduring a test like this, and then turn that same energy and focus into making the world a safer place?

KEEP IT UP, STAY FOCUSED AND COMMITTED. Oh yea...Apologize to your wife and family ahead of time and study in a broom closet if you have to, then when you pass, take your loved one/s somewhere nice, because they deserve it. icon_cheers.gif
    kalkan999 wrote: »
    Agree with our resident Jedi Master, JD on this one. I have some more to add as just food for thought. I've known of one person with less than two years in InfoSec who passed this test, and he spent the four months prior to completely immersed in studying when he wasn't working. You've taken this test twice, and scored in the 600's without the recommended experience and that says a lot about your ability and level of commitment.

Take everyone's advice posted here, but don't drown yourself in alternative methods used by others, as I learned from my own experience that I had to study in a way that worked for me. If you want advice that better fits your experience, read through the posts and find others who are not CISSP's but Associates who passed the test and are now putting in their time. Emerald Octane is a good start. Read his posts. I have a lot of experience in this field but had to take the test three times after scoring in the low 600's and 695 because I have never done well with standardized testing, but that's me.
    Preparing for and taking this test is a wild ride, and a crucible for most. I used to get frustrated when I read how people passed the test after 2 hours, when each attempt took the entire 6 hours. The 'Ride' only gets wilder once you pass the test. Even as an Associate, there will be MANY new doors open to you. MANY. DO not be discouraged or disheartened by those who have a CISSP and say it is of little value, or by those who don't have the CISSP and see no value in taking it.
    My biggest takeaway from being a CISSP is that it focused me like a laser-beam in wanting to be someone who changes the way that IT and Managers alike view those of us who are InfoSec. The 'System' is broken and needs fixing. Who better to fix it than a small but dedicated group of people who are committed to enduring a test like this, and then turn that same energy and focus into making the world a safer place?

KEEP IT UP, STAY FOCUSED AND COMMITTED. Oh yea...Apologize to your wife and family ahead of time and study in a broom closet if you have to, then when you pass, take your loved one/s somewhere nice, because they deserve it. icon_cheers.gif

Please suggest should i buy studiscope as i am planning to buy it.

In short it is worth to buy it n matches the standard of Official cissp exam

Please suggest guys !!!!
  • joedainjoedain Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Please suggest should i buy studiscope as i am planning to buy it.

In short it is worth to buy it n matches the standard of Official cissp exam

Please suggest guys !!!!
    redz wrote: »
    Is English your first language? What language are you taking the exam in? How is your comprehension of said language.
    Redz if I was trying to find **** I have done it in 1st attempt why would spent money on 2 attempt
    I have missed it by 75 marks was unfortunate tht I was nt able to clear n language is nt prob I want help from u guys what more I should to clear and I am buying studiscope for better understanding of how isc2 provides the format .
    if possible plz help me

Are you sure language is not the problem?
    Every time you post it seems to be bad English. Not trying to be mean, but you may need to listen to these guys about the language part.
    I have not sit for my test, but I do in 10 days.
    joedain wrote: »
    Are you sure language is not the problem?
    Every time you post it seems to bad English. Not trying to be mean, but you may need to listen to these guys about the language part.
    I have not sit for my test, but I do in 10 days.
    Joedain u r nobody to judge anybody over their post
    This forum is for helping if there is any doubt regarding cissp n not for judging my language.

I have already given the examination twice n if my language was bad then I would have nt score any marks

So hence please stick to topic asked by somebody instead of judging anybody
  • broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think what he is saying is that if you've taken it twice and really know the concepts and still can't pass, then maybe language is the barrier. The diction on the exam can be a bit confusing so it's something to look it. If you truly feel that it's not a language issue then I suggest starting from Security+ and working your way up.
    We're not asking to be mean, hurtful, or otherwise impolite. Based on your posts, I assume English is not your first language. This is not something to be ashamed about, but it is a problem for the CISSP examination if you are taking it in English. You can know every letter of the material cold, but if you can't decipher what the question wants, you will have issues. Based on your desire to become more familiar with the exam question format after having sat the exam twice, it raises even more eyebrows with regards to potential reading comprehension and language issues, as opposed to a lack of knowledge. We're asking because the test contains extensive wordplay and even occasional grammatical treachery.

If you're simply looking for more test questions, then go with StudiScope. I haven't tried them, but I have a decent amount of faith in the (ISC)2 materials - my experiences with them have been unanimously positive.

If the problem is absolutely not with language or comprehension, then it's a problem with your knowledge level, and the quiz isn't what you need. You can get a decent feel for your strengths and weaknesses simply from the CCCURE quizzer, which will allow you to focus your study areas at a lower cost than StudiScope.

Bottom line: If you understand the questions, then you need to study more. You don't need more practice tests; watch free videos online (Shon Harris has a quite boring, yet I believe still free, set of videos on it - they were good, just dry), get a book like "CISSP for Dummies" that presents the information in a different way that the traditional books, make flashcards based on everything you highlighted in the CBK, utilize your unique learning style to obtain the information.
    Hi Althmash7,

I used the StudiScope exams for my preparation, they were good because it prepared me for understanding the different ways that ISC2 worded their exam questions. However as JDMurray already pointed out, you have attempted the exam twice, with those two attempts you are in a better position to understand the questions than using StudiScope. I often recommend StudiScope to people who have not attempted the ISC2 type of exams, but once you have attempted the exams once or twice, there is no need to use them. I hope I am not violating my NDA with ISC2, if I am somebody please let me know and I will remove this bit, but NONE of the questions in StudiScope appear on the exam, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

Techexams is the best forum I have found online that shares study ideas/tips for certification and designation exams. These are ideas for free, from people who have extensive industry experience, taking the time out from their schedule to assist others, I am sure you know all this by now. My point in mentioning it is that, you, have to also share your ideas, your issues, your challenges etc and someone who has had a similar experience can air out their view that may assist you.

A few questions have been asked but you have not responded in a way that someone who wants to assist can respond to, I asked what resources you are using for a reason, but your response was you have gone through all available resources. Really, have you??? So you have gone through all of the following:
    - Official (ISC)2® Guide to the Cissp® CBK
    - Eleventh Hour CISSP: Study Guide by Eric Conrad
    - CISSP Guide to Security Essentials by Peter Gregory
    - CISSP For Dummies by Miller and Peter Gregory
    - CISSP Study Guide by Eric Conrad
    - CISSP All-in-One Exam Guide, 6th Edition by Shon Harris
    - Advanced CISSP Prep Guide by Ronald Krutz et al
    - The Total CISSP Exam Prep Book by Peltier, Thomas et al
    - CISSP All-in-One Exam Guide, Fifth Edition by Shon Harris
    - The CISSP Prep Guide: Mastering the CISSP and ISSEP Exams Ronald Krutz et al
    - CISSP: Certified Information Systems Security Professional Study Guide by James Stewart, Mike Chapple, Darril Gibson
    These are just books and not practise exams or flash cards. There is a plethora of CISSP Study resources online, but not all are suitable for an individual because our study styles differ, a classic example I often use here, call me weird or maybe I am a sucker for punishment icon_rolleyes.gif but I find Shon Harris' books just fine but the majority of people here find her boring, we are different, it doesn't make me less of an individual, but that's my learning style, I wanna know it all even if it's not testable, if it's relevant, I wanna know it.

I did not post to offend, judge or discriminate against you, I am sure no-one will, not on this forum anyway because the Forum Administrator, James, is quite strict on such derogatory behaviour/posts. However, you need to be able to share more with us if you require assistance here.

Anyway I am sure with or without our assistance, you are going to pass the exam, but as far as assistance goes, you ought to share more here, it's the only way we help each other...All the best icon_thumright.gif!
    moyondizvo wrote: »
    I hope I am not violating my NDA with ISC2, if I am somebody please let me know and I will remove this bit

The NDA wording is broad ("That you may not disclose the Exam questions or answers or discuss any of the content of the Exam Materials with any person without prior written approval of (ISC)2"), but if fully applied in that wording it would outlaw group studying, as well, which I'm certain is not the intent. When asked questions I try to keep it broad to the point of "Know (*domain)" or "I felt I had trouble with (*domain)".

Although I dislike documents with room for interpretation, I'm pretty certain you're in the clear.
  • teancum144teancum144 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used the StudiScope exams for my preparation, they were good because it prepared me for understanding the different ways that ISC2 worded their exam questions. ... I often recommend StudiScope to people who have not attempted the ISC2 type of exams...
    I haven't taken the exam yet, so this is good to know - thanks!!
    But NONE of the questions in StudiScope appear on the exam, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
    I would be surprised if they were. They are expensive though. I have a friend who is also studying. I wonder if we could split the cost and share the product - or do you think that would that be a violation of the license agreement?
    - Official (ISC)2® Guide to the Cissp® CBK
    - Eleventh Hour CISSP: Study Guide by Eric Conrad
    - CISSP Guide to Security Essentials by Peter Gregory
    - CISSP For Dummies by Miller and Peter Gregory
    - CISSP Study Guide by Eric Conrad
    - CISSP All-in-One Exam Guide, 6th Edition by Shon Harris
    - Advanced CISSP Prep Guide by Ronald Krutz et al
    - The Total CISSP Exam Prep Book by Peltier, Thomas et al
    - CISSP All-in-One Exam Guide, Fifth Edition by Shon Harris
    - The CISSP Prep Guide: Mastering the CISSP and ISSEP Exams Ronald Krutz et al
    - CISSP: Certified Information Systems Security Professional Study Guide by James Stewart, Mike Chapple, Darril Gibson
    Fantastic list!! Would you mind placing the list in order starting with most helpful and on down? :D
    ... a classic example I often use here, call me weird or maybe I am a sucker for punishment icon_rolleyes.gif but I find Shon Harris' books just fine but the majority of people here find her boring, we are different, it doesn't make me less of an individual, but that's my learning style, I wanna know it all even if it's not testable, if it's relevant, I wanna know it.
    I'm the exact same way. When I heard people say it's overkill, it made me want to buy it (which I did and the Official ISC2 CBK). Based on Redz recommendation, I'm also planning on buying the Dummies book. I'm about 100 pages into Shawn Harris' book and enjoying it (but hey, I love to read). I'm still interested in your order of preference on that list.
    If you like my comments or questions, you can show appreciation by clicking on the reputation badge/star icon near the lower left of my post. :D
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    The most vital tool to passing the CISSP on the first try, for me, was the SAN's webcast on testing tips. I breezed through the questions, did all 250 in 2 1/2 hours. I then spent the next 2 hours going through each question saying to myself...

What is the question really asking for...
    What is the best answer, if my answer was A is B better, C better, D better?
    What is the relation to key concepts, preservation of life, preservation of business, preservation of Data.
    If the question was business oriented the above steps worked.

If the question was technical the trick was to forget your experience, yes an ACL may not be the best solution or yes a Proxy may be best but that may not be the requirements the question is asking for.

The trick is to read the question based on the requirements of the question not your experience with Info-sec/IT.

I will say, having my CCNA and CCDA helped me breeze through a lot of questions. What also helped was reading the 25 page summary ppt and reading the SANS white papers.

You really need to get your mind out of IT mode and into business mode. This is a business exam first, IT/INFOSEC second.

Oh, and I would add besides for the books which I got off amazon for under $60, every other resource I used was free. I really caution you on spending a lot of money as this test is 600 already.
  • teancum144teancum144 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    philz1982 wrote: »
    The most vital tool to passing the CISSP on the first try, for me, was the SAN's webcast on testing tips.
    Is this the webcast?
    If you like my comments or questions, you can show appreciation by clicking on the reputation badge/star icon near the lower left of my post. :D
    teancum144 wrote: »
    Fantastic list!! Would you mind placing the list in order starting with most helpful and on down? :D

Heya...I did not use all those resources, way too much icon_eek.gif, I was just trying to express a point that the question I had asked earlier in the thread had not been answered because there is a surplus of CISSP resources online and it would not be feasible or productive to go over all of them.

However if you are interested in the order I would use those resources, for my type of study style
    1) CISSP All-in-One Exam Guide, 6th Edition by Shon Harris
    2) CISSP Study Guide by Eric Conrad
    3) Official (ISC)2® Guide to the CISSP® CBK
    4) Eleventh Hour CISSP: Study Guide by Eric Conrad

Unfortunately I cannot comment on the other books because I did not use them.

By the way, if you are looking to save money on practice exams, have a look at the cccure.org website, the questions there have received mixed reviews here but I think they would serve well for anyone doing their preps, as long as you are not relying on them alone.
    teancum144 wrote: »
    I'm the exact same way. When I heard people say it's overkill, it made me want to buy it

Thanks Teancum144, this makes me feel a tad normal again icon_lol.gif
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good. Now point me to another exam that has this much study material available, please. True there are many books, webcasts, YouTube videos, after market this and that for any number of topics but nothing compares to the amount of material available for the CISSP. Not Microsoft. Not Cisco. Not Juniper, etc. The materials are there for the absorption - now get the experience and pass the exam.

Yes, my frustration level is rising on the topic while reading the CISSP count rapidly heading higher every month.

- Beads
    beads wrote: »
    Yes, my frustration level is rising on the topic while reading the CISSP count rapidly heading higher every month.
    This is why we concentrate, Beadsy ;)
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    I don't get it. I thought the CISSP was really easy...