For those who recently passed CISSP..what CBK did you see the most? Test on Sept 14th

mister704mister704 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
I don't think it is wrong to ask but if it is please let me know. Not trying to rustle any feathers. I have the exam Sept 14 and just trying to continue working and testing.

I am currently testing using Transcender, Shon Harris site, and Eric Conrad book's site. I am going to sit back today and tomorrow and read over the 11th hour book. I read through the Conrad 2nd edition. I am also using the compressed short 25 page summary that was located here on the board. I am also in the free CISSP class that was offered here on the board.

I have probably went through 2000-3000 questions in total. I am taking tests at 100 questions a day. I am mostly taking practice exams and not reading, which is why I decided to throw in the 11th hour to switch it up.

Any advice for the final month leading up to the exam? This will be my 3rd time attempting(not ashamed to say it, standardized tests have always been difficult for me).

1st - was just a shock to me and I was in school, wedding planning, and no security experience. Almost passed it with a 670 Should not have taken it honestly

2nd - it had just switched over to computer based and it shocked me again. Probably still should not have taken it, I was till in school and in my last semester of my masters. Missed it with about the same score.

3RD!!! - A charm I hope, I have been focused on it since May(school is done, wedding is done...nothing but CISSP to focus on). Actually read the Conrad book(first time was shon harris--and just too much info), purchased Transcender and found the online shon harris questions(tough and I like them because they are tricky worded just like the test). Joined the cissp course and just testing my butt off. I practice every test I find online. Just to see how they differ.

Comments

• airbenairben Member Posts: 14 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The one thing I would suggest is take at least 1 full 250 question practice test. You need to prepare to sit down and have that many questions in front of you to tackle. 100 questions is a joke compared to the 250 question beast that the test is. Just my 2 cents.
  • mister704mister704 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oh I am sorry forgot to mention I have taken 2 full tests and plan to take 2 more full tests. Planning for one on Friday after I get off work. Thanks for the heads up. Time management and mental drain is definitely something to test before hand.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Have you done the SANS CISSP webcast ?

Been a long time. Thanks. Will check it out right now.
    Just finished the webcast. Good knowledge. I had forgot how he broke down how to pass it. The key 4 parts to identify with each question.

Thanks for that.
  • NavyITNavyIT Member Posts: 171
    I asked the same question multiple times to multiple people prior to taking my exam. It sucks, but the answer they all gave me and the answer I'll give you is that it's hard to say if there was more weight on one or more of the domains. I would definitely say you need to do some scenario based questions, the cccure questions are good for learning the concepts you will need to know to dissect the questions but there aren't very many scenario-based ones. Definitely know access control and security architecture are big domains.
    A.S. - Computer Networking: Cisco
    B.S. - Computer & Network Security
    Thanks, I figured Security Architecture. Seems to be a big one. I remember a good bit of those on my last one.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    mister704 wrote: »
    For those who recently passed CISSP..what CBK did you see the most?
    I don't think it is wrong to ask but if it is please let me know.
    Asking people what they saw on their CISSP exam is definitely a violation of the (ISC)2's NDA and ethics agreement that everyone signs when taking an (ISC)2 exam. You need to understand this if you will be following a career in Information Security.
    Well I asked because as I have noticed as well as seen in the Conrad webcast and shon harris book/audio which CBK's they deemed to be the most cbk's tested in their past experiences. I am not asking for questions or answers by any means.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    You will see many people giving an opinion of what they think are the domains that most of the questions on the exam are written from. What you will discover when you start reading the exam items is that many of the questions cover two or three domains, and having an understanding of all domains is important to giving a correct answer. Regardless of its content, each exam item is assigned to only one domain, and there is an even coverage of all domains across the entire exam.

People tend to only remember the questions they have a difficult time answering. When I see people post, "Boy, I sure had a lot of crypto questions!", that tells me they had a hard time with crypto. When people post, "I hardly had any crypto questions!", that says to me crypto was not a problem for them. In reality, they all had a similar number of crypto questions on their exam, but their perception of quantity was skewed by how challenging they found the questions to be.
    Well I am down to the final days to taking the exam. I want to thank everyone here on the site for all the help and resources. Could not have gotten it anywhere else.

I am hoping and praying that I am successful this go round. I have used many tools that I did not have and know of the first times I took the exam. I am hoping the prove to be the difference.

My studying/testing method to success:

1. Read Eric Conrad Cissp Study Guide 2nd Edition (originally tried the Shon Harris 5th edition...too big/too much)
    2. Purchased Transcender (originally had used CCCure but it seemed to have a lot of old questions. I could not focus on it)
    3. Used my SafariBooks account and have studied: Conrad 11th Hour, CISSP Rapid Review, and CISSP Exam Cram and taken every exam from each book.
    4. And I am using the CISSP Study Notes pdf that I got off of this site(has the nice picture cover and all the domains color coded)
    5. Shon Harris website of questions (tough and tricky and meant to confuse you. A lot like exam...wish I had these the first time)

Currently I am passing each exam in high 80s. I have passed each Transcender 250 question exam. My scores were 86, 89, 90, 89, 94 for each of them. And I am averaging above 80 for all the other tests I have tried. On the Shon Harris online questions, I am doing really good. They have helped tremendously in building my memory and understanding of how to i.d. distractors.

I am not really sure what more I can do. I feel like I have semi devoted my life to passing this exam. I hope I am successful. This go round. My first time was a flat out shock of the paper exam and it's difficulty and I was in school, and planning my wedding. The second was using the new computer based but it was a shock all over again and I was still in school and in my last course of my MS degree. Seemed like it pulled questions from the deepest darkest crevices of the books.

This time and point right now, I can honestly say I feel a lot more comfortable with the domains as I have put in a lot of time.

No matter what, I would not be anywhere near as prepared as I am today if it was not for this board. Thanks in advance for EVERYTHING!!! Hopefully I will report a PASS on Saturday.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Good luck mister704! I'll be taking my exam on the 24th unless I decide to push it back a couple of weeks.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd say JD pretty much hit it on the head again - sage advice.

As to what CBK you'll see the most? The ones your least prepared for. Every test is new and different from every other test. Prepare and expect everything and you'll be fine. Remember that overall its really an experience test than a conceptual test. Break the question down properly and its like any other - easy.

- beads
  • badrottiebadrottie Member Posts: 116
    It is not a violation of the NDA to speak of the questions found on the exam in general terms. With that being said, the questions (ISC)2 uses on the CISSP exam can involve multiple domains that need to be evaluated in order to determine the best answer. With a tip of the hat to JD, if you found that the exam was dominated by crypto questions, it is likely that crypto is one of your weak areas (Occam's Razor).

It is my advice that preparing for the exam, one should expect questions which involve understanding two or more domains well. There are few, if any, "gimmes" on the exam, and any that are present likely have a low weighting assigned to them when it comes to determining your final score.

View it from the perspective that the exam will test you on the theory, evaluation and comprehension of information security. Rote memorization is for vendor certifications, really.
    beads wrote: »
    I'd say JD pretty much hit it on the head again - sage advice.

As to what CBK you'll see the most? The ones your least prepared for. Every test is new and different from every other test. Prepare and expect everything and you'll be fine. Remember that overall its really an experience test than a conceptual test. Break the question down properly and its like any other - easy.

- beads

Yep, that all makes sense. Right now I am just going through all my questions. I am not sure if I would say it is based off of experience seeing that one of the chapters I have had to focus the most on is what I am the most experienced in: Software Development. Seeing that I been doing it for a good while, it is hard to break rules you have learned and used for a long time. The test is based on ISC2 beliefs and opinions...not on mine and what I have learned and used.

Right now I have my fingers super tightly crossed and I am praying to the heavens for a pass. I know that I know a lot of information(compared to my previous attempts), and I have been identifying distractors and using the 50/50 rule so I am much better off than my first attempts. But to say I am nervously and frankly a little scared is an understatement.
  • kalkan999kalkan999 Member Posts: 269 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Let us know...We're all rooting for you.
    I am happy to report I PASSED!!!! So happy right now. I really completed it in about 4.5 hrs. But I got up, went outside, stretched, used the restroom, and had a snack. Came back in and reviewed everything a second time for the last 1.5 hours. Crazy enough, it really did not feel anywhere near as tough as the first times. I guess I really put in enough work. Really proves sitting down and studying and putting REAL time in makes all the difference.
  • anwarrhceanwarrhce Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am happy to report I PASSED!!!! So happy right now. I really completed it in about 4.5 hrs. But I got up, went outside, stretched, used the restroom, and had a snack. Came back in and reviewed everything a second time for the last 1.5 hours. Crazy enough, it really did not feel anywhere near as tough as the first times. I guess I really put in enough work. Really proves sitting down and studying and putting REAL time in makes all the difference.

Good to hear that.. Congrates..
    I'm also studying, need some help, would you mind to share your email ID mine is secmart at outlook dot com, can't talk talk here in open forum.

Thanks.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats...
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• larahy2klarahy2k Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't think it is wrong to ask but if it is please let me know. Not trying to rustle any feathers. I have the exam Sept 14 and just trying to continue working and testing.

I am currently testing using Transcender, Shon Harris site, and Eric Conrad book's site. I am going to sit back today and tomorrow and read over the 11th hour book. I read through the Conrad 2nd edition. I am also using the compressed short 25 page summary that was located here on the board. I am also in the free CISSP class that was offered here on the board.

I have probably went through 2000-3000 questions in total. I am taking tests at 100 questions a day. I am mostly taking practice exams and not reading, which is why I decided to throw in the 11th hour to switch it up.

Any advice for the final month leading up to the exam? This will be my 3rd time attempting(not ashamed to say it, standardized tests have always been difficult for me).

1st - was just a shock to me and I was in school, wedding planning, and no security experience. Almost passed it with a 670 Should not have taken it honestly

2nd - it had just switched over to computer based and it shocked me again. Probably still should not have taken it, I was till in school and in my last semester of my masters. Missed it with about the same score.

3RD!!! - A charm I hope, I have been focused on it since May(school is done, wedding is done...nothing but CISSP to focus on). Actually read the Conrad book(first time was shon harris--and just too much info), purchased Transcender and found the online shon harris questions(tough and I like them because they are tricky worded just like the test). Joined the cissp course and just testing my butt off. I practice every test I find online. Just to see how they differ.

Hi Mister704, I've been reading your posts congrats on passing the exam. It's very tricky so well done. I just had a question around the free class you attended - can you point me to the link please?
    Thanks.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Should have clarified above that many consider the CISSP to be a 'Management' test where I see it as an experiences test. You can readily interchange the terms equally in my view.

Many questions I saw on the test became blatantly obvious to me if you've ever been anywhere near the situation where I could see other folks simply asking something akin to 'wtf' is this about?

Either way. Congrats on the pass. I know its a tough exam and everyone has their own opinion as to the difficulty.

- B Eads
  • ThistlebackThistleback Member Posts: 151
    Congrats on your pass. Hard study and a good attitude pays off!
    Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
  • joebannyjoebanny Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great job, your hard work paid off!
  • plitz2791plitz2791 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was schedule to the the test today, but rescheduled it for October 10th. I haven't sat for the exam yet and this will be my first (and hopefully only) time I do so.

I've been reading the Eric Conrad CISSP Study Guide | 2E and have the 11th hour Study Guide as well. I've referenced the Shon Harris AIO CISSP Study Guide 6th Edition, but found it to be more of a secondary source for information. The most useful portion of the AIO for me has been the exams that came with the book. I've also been taking the online course for the CISSP through a training facility called LeaderQuest, which has been an information overload compared to either of the books I've read thus far.

Two questions for those of you who have recently prepared for this exam:

1. Are there any worthwhile resources for practice testing that involve the scenario-based questions vs. the technical questions found on cccure.org and the exam questions in the AIO book?

2. Where on this site can I find the CISSP Study Notes that mister704 mentioned? I've been searching this afternoon and haven't had much luck in finding them as of yet.

Thanks!