Free VCA exam of your choice from VMWARE

NutsacjacNutsacjac Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just got an email from VMware Education.

Enter discount code VCA501 when you schedule the exam, you can take any VCA exam free until September 30.

Hope people find this helpful!

Comments

• DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sucks for those of us that paid $120 or $60 for this useless "certification."
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    I also got the email this morning.

I was planning to continue on my VCP path and skip this, since this was new after I started VCP. However, seeing its free, I might do it one afternoon afterwork.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Also got the email this AM. I was planning on doing the VCA-Cloud for giggles. Now I have zero excuses.
  • Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    how many times can we use the voucher? icon_lol.gif
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • muneebkalathilmuneebkalathil Member Posts: 148
    do we need to attend the exam before this month ?

or just we can schedule and do next month ?
  • SpacedSpaced Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do we need to have finished the usual require course?
    WGU: BSIT - Network Administration
  • redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There is no required course for the VCA. There is a two-three hour long, whatever, recommended video course. Which is free.
    Can this test be taken at home?
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Yes. It can be taken at home. The recommended requisite is the Free 3 Hour long course from VmWare.
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

Awesome - thanks!
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Anyone else getting an error message when clicking on next in step 3? I can't get to the point where I can submit the order. Kind of a bummer.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    Yes. It can be taken at home. The recommended requisite is the Free 3 Hour long course from VmWare.
    So couldn't one theoretically schedule all the VCA and take them before Sept 30?
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did anyone find out whether this code can be applied to multiple exams per person?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Anyone else getting an error message when clicking on next in step 3? I can't get to the point where I can submit the order. Kind of a bummer.

Me too, are you trying to apply the voucher along with the discount. I think they might have rescinded the free exam offer.

I tried different combinations of applying the exam code with NO avail.....
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • epcgepcg Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It looks to be over tried today and its not valid. Really would love to take it but not paying the $120. Looks like you can take it for $60. Now later on if I have a few extra dollars I'll take one for $60.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was willing to do this one for free but I'm not going to bother now.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    UPDATE -

The exam code is good. I called VMware and they told me the code is good for a free exam. That it was on Pearson Vues end. They sent me to their tech support now waiting to hear back from them. Will update again when I get an answer.
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Still giving the error. it accepts the code. but later comes up with an error on the immediate next page !

epcg - Will wait for an update from you !
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• NutsacjacNutsacjac Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    VMware said that the code is good, the issue is on PearsonVUE's end.

Call PearsonVUE and they will manually process the credit.
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    I'm intrigued. To anyone that's taken a VCA exam, worth the effort? It sounds like they're trying to turn people into VMware sales people or evangelists with these VCA level certifications or is there some good knowledge to be gained?
  • redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Larry,

I have a feeling the value of these certifications will be more in the "buzzwords added to resumes so broken HR systems can filter them better", less in the "knowledge gained".

It's going to be hard to complain about a cert that only costs 3-4 hours of your time, but it's also hard to expect much of it.

EDIT: I intend to take it this week, I'll let you know how it is.
  • taternuts666taternuts666 Member Posts: 200
    I didn't receive anything from VMWare icon_sad.gif ..... Does anyone have an extra code to take this for free that they aren't going to use? If so, can you PM it to me or email me at allenk732 at gmail ?
    Nutsacjac I have tried this already and they told me they cant do this for a online exam. If anyone does do this and it works please get the persons name. I'm still waiting on a email back.

taternuts666 the code VCA501 is good. I have talked to VMware and Pearson Vue about this. Both said its the right code for a free test.
  • SimonD.SimonD. Member Posts: 111
    I would say that the VCA has about the same worth as the CCENT or MCP, it's an introduction to the virtualisation stack (Cloud, DCV or Mobile, Networking to arrive soon). It's not a VCP, it's not the same level as the VCP and shouldn't be confused with the VCP (much like the VCE exam that people take and think get's them their VCP).

Having sat two of the exams I can't say that they were hard but definitely the Cloud exam was the harder of the two exams.

I would also say that if they were at the full price I wouldn't have taken any of the exams, instead relying on my VCPs.

It's nice for people wanting to get into VMware virtualisation but that's pretty much it.
    My Blog - http://www.everything-virtual.com
    vExpert 2012\2013\2014\2015
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'm ready to take the exam but waiting on Pearson to add my VMware profile. Says it takes up to two days. I miss Prometric.
  • NutsacjacNutsacjac Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    epcg wrote: »
    Nutsacjac I have tried this already and they told me they cant do this for a online exam. If anyone does do this and it works please get the persons name. I'm still waiting on a email back.

I did it and I'm registered, I have 48 hours to take the exam. Call back, maybe you'll get someone better.
    [h=1]Alert![/h] This application has encountered an unexpected problem. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please close your browser and start over.
    Date:2013-09-18 00:20:00.967 CDT Server:www2.pearsonvue.com

getting an error message ... what should do next ?
    Finally registered ... called the customer care and they scheduled it ... :)
    Does anyone if you can use it more than once?