Options

What Certs would I need to do this?

Alright I had found something and this is what it listed.

Previous experience with computer hardware, operating systems and platforms, Desktop, networking and Active Directory

-Understanding of Microsoft Server, Exchange, Windows Desktop solutions such as Windows 7 and Windows 8, Active Directory, Microsoft System Center
toolset, Lync , TCP/IP, Ethernet, Internet, Enhanced Routing (OSPF), and VPN Network Skills.

I know for example I would need an A+ cert for sure, and not sure what Windows cert I would need to apply to this job? Any help would be appreciated.

BAAS - Web and Media Design
Working on A+

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You would need experience, period. Certs are going to help, but you won't be able to get yourself into a position like that with just a credential or three.

MCSE: Server Infrastructure, Messaging, and Private Cloud would be the primary targets for a job like that. CCNA and other Cisco certs might help as well.

Of course, it really depends on what the position actually is, but it looks to me like a generalist MS-focused systems engineer position.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    neo9006neo9006 Member Posts: 195
    Yes I know I need exp, but that is the preferred requirements, not the minimum requirement. I have almost all of the minimum requirement and will be getting my degree by Dec. Well you can't get exp unless someone gives you a chance. Its a job for an Entry-Level Systems Engineer. Thanks for you help.
    Working on A+
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Entry level systems engineer is not exactly entry level to the IT field. A lot of people do not seem to understand this and can't understand why they can't get an 'entry level' job.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    So let me this by pass this and not bother applying is what I should be doing. I guess I will go back to the drawing board. Thanks.
    Working on A+
  • Options
    cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Entry level systems engineer is not exactly entry level to the IT field. A lot of people do not seem to understand this and can't understand why they can't get an 'entry level' job.

Agreed. Entry Level Systems Engineer typically implies at least 2-3 years of IT Experience already obtained. If you feel you have the experience then go for it. Just be prepared in case the hiring manager or recruiter do not contact you. It also depends on whether or not the hiring company has a small or large IT Dept and in willing to have someone learn on the job.

Corey
  • Options
    neo9006 wrote: »
    So let me this by pass this and not bother applying is what I should be doing. I guess I will go back to the drawing board. Thanks.

If you want to apply by all means go right ahead. Just keep your expectations in line with reality.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665

What job titles would give the 'right' experience an employer would look for in candidates for an entry level SE job?
  • Options
    Usually people go through some sort of support/operations/administration type work before moving into the engineering realm. I'll let guys more experienced on the systems side of the house give more specifics though.
  • Options
    dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    My path over the past 13 years has been.

desktop/server support in a small company->desktop support larger company->systems admin in same larger company->larger company bought by even larger company and eventually promoted to senior systems engineer.
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would want 2-4 years on the admin side, preferably supporting Windows servers, AD, Exchange, file, DHCP, print, and DNS servers along with Windows clients. I wouldn't restrict candidates to a certain product version; 2003-era and later is acceptable. Experience with any iteration of System Center or SMS and VBScript or PowerShell scripting would be a "plus," and broad (not necessarily deep) knowledge of TCP/IP networking and common protocols would be expected (CCENT or Net+ helpful, but not required). This particular position might be even more general, so higher-level Cisco certs would be nice, and generally never hurt. MCSA 2003, 2008, 2012, Windows 7, or Windows 8 also helpful (MCSE would typically not be required, especially for entry-level), possibly require at least one.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The quick n' dirty answer would be: MCSE/MCSA & CCNA would get you an interview. Experience would get you the job.
  • Options
    Thank you I am looking at the meat and potatoes of things when looking at the job as far as what certs would help get me in the door. Those are the preferred requirements of the job, just about everything for the minimum requirements I have matched and with my degree in Dec will give me everything I would need. I understand what everyone is saying, experience counts a lot when looking at it. I remember getting my current job with no exp but I knew the basics of what to do. I will see what happens, if nothing then at least I tried.
    Working on A+
  • Options
    redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Always go for it, especially if it's out of your depth. The worst thing that happens is that they say "no". The best thing that happens is that you get to take on great new set of challenges, work ~70hrs a week between studying and work just to be able to effectively do 40hrs a week worth of work, and eventually you become competent to do it all in just 40hrs a week. At that point, you've gained a great deal of experience and knowledge, and if/when you leave, not only are you a better employee for it, but your management will have seen how hard you worked and be able to vouch strongly for your work ethic - which is just about the only measurable for an employee that cannot be taught.

I always try to get way out of my depth every time I take a new position. I gain the skills, leave the company better than I found it, and then I move on to bigger and better challenges.

EDIT: What I'm tryin to say is, whether you have the certifications or not, whether you have the experience or not, whether you have the degree or not, APPLY. I work at a freakin' university and don't even have a degree (apparently they frown on that).

By the way, anybody looking for a mid level Virtualization Engineer with no relevant experience in the past eight months? I'll work for Ketel One and a company paid VCP boot camp.
  • Options
    Thanks redz. I plan to apply. A figure what do I have to lose, as you have said all they can say is no. If that is the case then you apply else where. I need a new challenge and look forward to do something different than my current job. I figure I might take a year off of school when I finish up. I want to help my wife with her school and study on certs. If I decide to go after my masters, I will do it then. I work at a university too here in Texas. I want to thank everyone for their advice and encouragement.
    Working on A+