Options

Retired Comptia Certifications

Inno421Inno421 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,
College student here, I am currently putting together my resume for a upcoming career fair.
I've taken and passed A+ and Network+ back in 2008, which means I am certified for life? correct?
When I list them on my resume would I have to list them as retired?

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes you are certified for life, and no, there is no need to indicate they are retired. Since the certifications are for life, the fact that they can no longer be earned is not something that needs to be called out. People who have the newer versions could list A+ CE, Net+ CE, etc. For yourself, I wouldn't worry about it. Very few, if any companies care about which version of these particular certifications you have.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Inno421Inno421 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm sorry to hijack but I have a question.

I'm taking the second A+ today, and if I pass, I'll be certified. I intend on taking N+ and S+ by the end of the year. At what point do I need to join the CE program? My understanding is that N+ will renew the A+ and S+ will renew both of those.

Also, say in three years (from the date I take the S+), could I just take the new S+ and it would re-new all three?
  • Options
    You should be able to find all the answers on the CompTIA CE site. My understanding is that, indeed, each time your pass a certification it will automatically renew the ones "beneath" it. If you are still interested in renewing them three years after Security+, in my strong opinion CASP would be the way to do it. Retaking Security+ to renew the trio indicates major career stagnation, given the other options for renewing them.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You are automatically enrolled in CE when you pass a CE exam. So if you took A+ today you are A+ ce. Network+ renews A+ and Security+ would renew A+ and Network+ for three years. It doesn't make much sense to take Security+ in three years to renew because you are not advancing your knowledge. Security+ is an entry level certification for Security...would you always want an entry level job? Look under the section for the CE program and renewing with other certifications on the CompTIA website. You could go on to CISM, CISSP, SSCP, Cisco Certifications and many others I am sure show up on there...giving you a higher certification and thus renewing all of your CompTIA certifications. You also must pay a yearly fee for pretty much any certification these days to be in good standing.
  • Options
    adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks. I am in school still and this is my first experience with certifications, so I don't really have any first hand knowledge of the matter.

I passed today, so I am A+ certified. I intend on getting N+ and S+ by the end of the year, as I am set to graduate and believe having these three certifications as well as my degree will help me find employment in a relevant field. I believe only storage+ and CASP would renew the previous three certifications. The reason why I'm asking if I should re-take something in the future is because I thought it would be bad to let a certification expire, especially if one was seeking new employment.

Was also kind of confused when you need to pay. After each certification? After you've achieved the highest one you intend to get?

Sorry, but I am trying to read, just a little confused on the matter.
  • Options
    If you look under each certification, you'll see that non-CompTIA certifications will also renew the CompTIA CE certifications. Just about everything counts towards the trio, and most major security-related certs count towards CASP, which is the only one worth renewing at that point anyway. All sorts of other activities renew them, too. It's pretty hard to let them expire, to be honest.

Congrats, by the way. A+ is where it all started, for many of us.