CCNP where to start?

HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
I would like to start focusing on the CCNP track now. I am debating whether to start with the BSCI exam or the BCMSN. My 4th semester starts tommorrow and it touches mostly on basic layer 2...The dilemma is that my 5th semester (this january coming up) gets heavy into routing (OSPF/BGP). my 6th semester covers advanced lan topics like mpls. I would like to get ahead of the game. I am not really sure where to start.

If I was to go the BSCI route, would you suggest:

Internet Routing Architectures - Bassam Hallabi
TCP/IP Routing 1 & 2

If I went the BCMSN route, what about:

Cisco LAN Switching (CCIE Development Series)
BCMSN Self Study 3rd Edition

The only problem is if I go the BCMSN route I dont have any layer 3 switches eeek.
Now working full time!

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Internet Routing Architectures - Bassam Hallabi
    TCP/IP Routing 1 & 2

If I went the BCMSN route, what about:

Cisco LAN Switching (CCIE Development Series)
    BCMSN Self Study 3rd Edition

The only problem is if I go the BCMSN route I dont have any layer 3 switches eeek.
    That's what happens when you mix celebration with preparing for your next certification -- you mix up your books lists... Doyle (and Volume 2 by Doyle/Carroll) should come before Halabi. :D And the CCNP before the CCIE!

But if you do read those, they will help a lot for the CCNP (the Clark/Hamilton is an oldie but still a goodie!).... but you might want to check out the Cisco Press books specifically for the CCNP.

http://www.ciscopress.com/markets/detail.asp?st=44734

I got them all and the Sybex Complete CCNP Study Guide. The Gough BSCI Exam Cert Guide was the "worst" book of the lot -- and that's the only time I read almost the complete exam section of the Sybex book.

If you can't beg or borrow access to a layer 3 switch, you can use a rental rack. Not having access to a layer 3 switch would slow you down, but still shouldn't stop you.

BSCI, BCMSN, BCRAN, and CIT is the "logical sequence" -- but as long as you remember CIT covers troubleshooting stuff from the other 3 and take that one last, you should be fine taking the others in any order.

Double check the exam blueprints -- I think BSCI has changed from 40 bullet points down to 24... so always keep an eye on the blueprint for changes as you are studying.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    If I go the BCSI route, would you suggest using what Cisco Press suggests for reading? Or go the Internet Routing Architecture/Routing1&2 route?

I would prefer to keep this relatively cost effective.

As well, I am trying to find something that is easy to read, I have read some books from Cisco press and it's just about impossible to understand/comprehend.
    Now working full time!
  • mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    My 2 cents...

I found Michael Shannon's Exam Cram BSCI book very readable.
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the CCNA,if i were you i would start with BSCI, Doyle is a great read.Mike says BCMSN is a logical next step! why i ask? I actually think BCRAN is a better next step as this exam covers NAT and FR which have already been covered in the BSCI,CIT definitely last.
    Now on the rumor mill i've heard that BCRAN and CIT will be retired this year,new exams will replace them aroud July so due to this i would do BSCI and next BCMSN.This info about exams being retired has not been offically released and comes from guys who are supposedly in the know.So take it with a grain of salt.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
    ed_the_lad wrote:
    Congrats on the CCNA,if i were you i would start with BSCI, Doyle is a great read.Mike says BCMSN is a logical next step! why i ask? I actually think BCRAN is a better next step as this exam covers NAT and FR which have already been covered in the BSCI,CIT definitely last.
    Now on the rumor mill i've heard that BCRAN and CIT will be retired this year,new exams will replace them aroud July so due to this i would do BSCI and next BCMSN.This info about exams being retired has not been offically released and comes from guys who are supposedly in the know.So take it with a grain of salt.

Interesting, thanks for the heads up:)
    Now working full time!
    ed_the_lad wrote:
    Actually.... I did BCRAN first (then BSCI, BCMSN, & CIT) :D "Logical sequence" probably isn't the best description -- how about "fewer people will argue about sequence choice if you choose...." The key thing -- CIT last!!!!

Doyle is a fun read when compared to lots of other Cisco Press books -- but you'd have to compare the current exam blueprint against the table of contents to see if anything was missing. I've got the old old old Doyle version and had planned on skipping the new edition even for the CCIE -- but I've been having 2nd thoughts.

Oh -- if you don't mind reading books online -- there is always the Safari book thing. There should be the links to it on Cisco Press dot com or O'Reilly dot com. I had checked it out, but they didn't have the self-titled self-study books when I looked -- and those were the most important ones (unless you already know the stuff).
    Hey Mike, i've got the new and old Doyle.The new Doyle has alot more IPv6, generally every topic is discussed in detail regarding ipv4 and then the discussion regarding ipv6 begins.So in my opinion its worth getting if you need to brush up on IPv6, if not dont bother.
    Why has the BSCI gotten smaller? you said it has been minimized from 40 to 24..Is there any reason? Or have they just summarized the points.
    Now working full time!
    Why has the BSCI gotten smaller? you said it has been minimized from 40 to 24..Is there any reason? Or have they just summarized the points.

Oops... 37, not 40 -- hopefully I didn't forget to page down on the current blueprint page when I was counting. Hum.... 22 Good thing counting bullet points isn't on the CCIE R&S Written blueprint.....

Someone had asked about Voice and QoS -- so I checked the copy of the blueprint I had copied and printed out from when I took the exam -- went from something like 8 bullets down to 2 bullets...... but the way Cisco phrases things, everything from the Cisco Press books could still be fair game for exam questions.

It either is just a "cleaning up" so that they can justify some of the vague questions they feel like asking..... or it could indicate a change in focus for the questions.

With the NDA its hard to figure out....

Here we go..... compare and contrast 1 new and 1 old item....

Old:
    • Identify the correct IP addressing scheme, including features of IPv6

New:
    • Describe IPv6 addressing implementation

This one is definitely a change of focus......
    ed_the_lad wrote:
    The new Doyle has alot more IPv6, generally every topic is discussed in detail regarding ipv4 and then the discussion regarding ipv6 begins.So in my opinion its worth getting if you need to brush up on IPv6, if not dont bother.
    I figure IPv6 is only going to get more important (or at least tested more)... and I already have bought all the other Cisco Press IPv6.... Yeah, I won't worry about reading the new edition for the written exam.... but it won't hurt to re-read the new one for the lab.
    Thanks Mike.

Well I have the Cisco LAN Switching book from Clark/Hamilton, and I have also ordered the Doyle Volume 1 second edition. I am going to start reading both books, as I have alot of layer 2 this semester, but I would also like to read the Doyle book to prepare me for the BSCI and my 5th semester.

I am beginning to get myself tied up in all this, but I must say, I LOVE IT!
    Now working full time!
    I have Routing TCP/IP volume 1 second edition. I have read chapter 1 the review. I've started reading chapter 2 "IPv6 Overview". Is it OK to skip the chapter and return to it at a later time ? I guess I am wondering if it's going to show up alot throughout the book.
    Now working full time!
    Why not skip and if you need at any point go back.I generally dont start at page 1 and go till the end,i skip back and forth.Everyones study style is different so do what you feel suite you.