Free VCA exam of your choice from VMWARE

Comments

• SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
    coty24 wrote: »
    Need any account creation or anything specific to do on VMware site before scheduling the exam? - Yes, go to mylearn.vmware.com and register.
    Must you have said email from VM to take test? - Yes, after you create your account you go to vue.com and look at your exam authorizations.
    Can the code be used on more than one VCA exam? - I will let you know
    Links to the videos? -- mylearn.vmware.com will have them.

Much appreciated!
  • ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Well, passed the DCV with a 400. Not great but a pass is a pass, and I know much more about VMware than I did yesterday.

I tried a few of the Pearson phone numbers, and the one where I was actually able to get the exam scheduled was 800-676-2797.
  • jaywalkerjaywalker Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone, first post here. Like some of you, I had issues scheduling the VCA-DCV test online. I had to call Pearson's customer service line and they worked it out for me. I just took the VCA-DCV and failed LOL. I'll take the next attempt seriously and will do that for all the other VCA-* exams. Only thing I can recommend from my experience is take good notes. Good luck!
    Goals for 2015: ICND1 [], ICND2 []

..........:cheers:
    A winner is you
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome aboard.

What is you experience with VMware products? How did you prepare for the test?
    Well, I just passed VCA-Cloud. Do not underestimate this test. Some questions had me thinking for a few minutes.

Best advice I can give you:

- Take the VMware Cloud Fundamentals free course. Pay special attention to the scenarios presented. Understanding how to identify the appropriate VMware solution to implement given a specific set of requirements definitely helps
    - Find and read EVERY factsheet for every single product mentioned in the Exam Blueprint
    - If you are unfamiliar with a particular product, make sure you watch some of the VMware Learning videos
    - Make sure you take notes, with particular emphasis on key components of the different products

On to VCA-DCV. My background is mostly vSphere so I expect this one to be easier.
  • TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Well, I just passed VCA-Cloud. Do not underestimate this test. Some questions had me thinking for a few minutes.

Best advice I can give you:

- Take the VMware Cloud Fundamentals free course. Pay special attention to the scenarios presented. Understanding how to identify the appropriate VMware solution to implement given a specific set of requirements definitely helps
    - Find and read EVERY factsheet for every single product mentioned in the Exam Blueprint
    - If you are unfamiliar with a particular product, make sure you watch some of the VMware Learning videos
    - Make sure you take notes, with particular emphasis on key components of the different products

On to VCA-DCV. My background is mostly vSphere so I expect this one to be easier.

Just past this exam as well.
  • NutsacjacNutsacjac Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, I just passed VCA-Cloud. Do not underestimate this test.

Same here. It wasn't easy. The suggested CBT was good but you're going to need to read the white pages and study the blueprint to pass.
  • TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    After submitting step 3 I get:

This application has encountered an unexpected problem. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please close your browser and start over.

Date:2013-09-19 11:33:44.034 CDT Server:WWW8.pearsonvue.com

any ideas?
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
    TechGuy215 wrote: »
    After submitting step 3 I get:

This application has encountered an unexpected problem. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please close your browser and start over.

Date:2013-09-19 11:33:44.034 CDT Server:WWW8.pearsonvue.com

any ideas?

You need to call PearsonVue and schedule the exam by phone using the voucher. Won't work if you do it online.
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did the VCA-DCV exam as well. It was pretty easy, but I do work with all these technologies everyday so of course it helped me. Like others said, I don't think this exam is worth purchasing the full price so take advantage of it while it's free:D. You learn the technologies and the solutions for certain needs, but you won't learn anything technical. For sure though, it's a good starting point for VMware.
  • TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TheProf wrote: »
    You need to call PearsonVue and schedule the exam by phone using the voucher. Won't work if you do it online.

Good call! I gave them a rang and they had me setup in 5 minutes. Apparantely they are having issues with the VMware vendor site. icon_thumright.gif
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Called pearson after the online setup failed several times, registered with the discount code with no issues.

Will take the exam later today or tomorrow. Thanks OP for the info.
    Just passed the VCA-DCV with a 340.

I would say this test is on par with the MTA exams. No real technical questions more a base line understanding of the technology is required.
    I went through the 1st and 2nd module of the training module and I think it did a good job covering exactly what was on the test for me. It did explain some of the features I had not used or even known about prior to this so that I could answer questions on them.
  • muneebkalathilmuneebkalathil Member Posts: 148
    Just passed VCA-DCV :) . .some questions are really easy .. :) This is my first VMWARE certificate ...

Will register VCA-Cloud Tomorrow ...
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Just passed the VCA-DCV. Now plan to write the other two VCA-WM and VCA-Cloud.
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• jaywalkerjaywalker Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome aboard.

What is you experience with VMware products? How did you prepare for the test?

Thank you!

I've been working with VMware Workstation for years and recently started using vSphere + some of its related products. It's safe to say I'm a VMnewb willing to dive into enterprise-level virtualization.

I prepared by watching the videos (1-time each, no rewinds) and taking notes on what I thought was important. It was a crash course basically. I thought it would have been a cakewalk based on previous posts. I know where I made my mistakes (underestimation mostly). Hope I'll do better on the VCA-Cloud.
    Goals for 2015: ICND1 [], ICND2 []

..........:cheers:
    A winner is you
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Just passed the VCA-DCV (440/500). I've been working working with VMware for a couple of years at a basic level - no configuration really, just ongoing administration. Previous posts are accurate - no technical questions really. It's more about knowing the features and capabilities of the various products and being able to choose the correct solution for a given scenario.

The cert doesn't qualify you to DO anything with vSphere, but does show that you have a good understanding of the technology and product.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • SpacedSpaced Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Also just passed VAC-DCV, but I found it a bit challenging. The questions in the features were fine, but seemed like there were many more scenario based questions that were a bit tough for me. Being that I have zero IT related certs or experience, I don't think I had the background to fully understand several of the scenario based questions that imo assumed (pre-req for test stated as much) you had some basic knowledge of IT. That being said I am glad I did it. I know a lot more about virtualization and vSphere than before and gave me some motivation for my mind numbingly boring CIW Foundations class I'm trying to slog through. This was definitely a hell of a lot more interesting. On to VCA-Cloud.
    WGU: BSIT - Network Administration
    Passed VCA-DCV. Same concept, know the products and their features. They should've priced this at $50. I feel sorry for whoever pays $120 for it.
    Took and passed VCA-WM today. Passed with a 300. Rushed through the training video and only finished like 3/4 of module 2, and skipped 3.
    Could have scored much better if I didn't rush through everything but its Friday and i want to get out of the office.
    I had about 9 months of exp administering View 5.0 and 5.1.
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    After few emails to Pearson Vue, I decided to call them and registered within 10 minutes. Going to toake the exam tomorrow as they told me I only have 48 hours at most.
  • NutsacjacNutsacjac Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Passed VCA-DCV. Same concept, know the products and their features. They should've priced this at $50. I feel sorry for whoever pays $120 for it.

Yeah it seems like a cash grab to be honest. Though I will admit taking the VCA-Cloud did help me understand vCloud a lot better and how all of it's components fit together, so it had some value to me.
    Agree on both points. I had no idea what vCloud Director, Connector, etc. did. Definitely gained some knowledge. Worth what I paid for it icon_smile.gif
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Nailed the exam with 420. It was the easiest test I've ever taken but I have about two years of vSphere experience.
    For beginners, the test would probably be too difficult if they only rely on the VMware training, but the difficulty level is on par with CompTIA exams.
    I'm wondering if I should do Cloud and View as well. I've never touched any of the products but would like have at least basic overview of their features.
    sratakhin wrote: »
    Nailed the exam with 420. It was the easiest test I've ever taken but I have about two years of vSphere experience.
    For beginners, the test would probably be too difficult if they only rely on the VMware training, but the difficulty level is on par with CompTIA exams.
    I'm wondering if I should do Cloud and View as well. I've never touched any of the products but would like have at least basic overview of their features.

The cloud exam was pretty nice, good entry level topics and test you on various cloud platforms like vCloud, vCNS, vSphere, etc... Although the View exams seem to be a bit harder judging by the blueprint, regardless, still good exam to do.
  • $TR1K3R$TR1K3R Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've registered at VMware website. How can I get exam code?

Got code. Now I'm trying to register at pearson, but it gives me error icon_sad.gif
    See previous messages in this thread. You have to call PV.
  • mrploddymrploddy Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    DCV and WM in the bag

Cloud seems to be the hardest to get. Must have a high pass mark.....

Just a note on resist the score report says seven days but if you read VMware certification faqs on the website it says immediate retake is fine.

Make the most of the free lunch while it lasts folks they may be worth nothing but never turn up the nose at a free cert
  • Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    mrploddy wrote: »
    DCV and WM in the bag

Cloud seems to be the hardest to get. Must have a high pass mark.....

Just a note on resist the score report says seven days but if you read VMware certification faqs on the website it says immediate retake is fine.

Make the most of the free lunch while it lasts folks they may be worth nothing but never turn up the nose at a free cert

Yup. Straight from VMWare

The VMware Certified Associate exams do not have a waiting period between re-takes. If a candidate fails an
    exam, VMware highly recommends thoroughly reviewing the recommended course material detailed in
    section 4 prior to re-taking the exam. This blueprint also provides links to relevant documentation that can be
    used to further study prior to attempting the exam again.
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
  • $TR1K3R$TR1K3R Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    See previous messages in this thread. You have to call PV.

I don't live in USA, so will PV local office help me to register?