I'm a CCNP!

JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273
Passed the TSHOOT exam. It was fairly easy, however, I believe I had a bug in my exam seeing how one question didn't make sense with the answers provided, or at least how they were presented. I've heard of this before so hopefully what I selected was the correct way to answer. Did Chris Bryant's video courses and Kindle guides, lots of review and labbing, took the ROUTE exam first (twice - forgot to reschedule and wasn't quite ready yet, so I took it anyway & failed), then the SWITCH, then TSHOOT. Started sometime last year actually, and ended up losing some focus and taking a detour, but actively picked it back up again sometime around May/June and just went pretty hard & ended up taking all three exams over a three week period. I'm gonna take a long break now and then see what I'll do next. Maybe in the meantime I'll try a new language or something... but I will surely emphasize the LONG BREAK part. This took a lot out of me. All in all, a very productive year for me! icon_cool.gif

Comments

• Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Congrats! Whats next?
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273
    I see you're going for the CCIE... whatz your game plan?
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @JohnnyBiggles - way to go, my friend! Doing all three exams over a three-week period is a feat of herculean proportions - hats off to you!
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    @JohnnyBiggles - way to go, my friend! Doing all three exams over a three-week period is a feat of herculean proportions - hats off to you!
    Thanks! It was actually 4 weeks... I forgot I had taken the ROUTE exam twice. I had planned to reschedule the exam so I could spend that weekend reviewing & labbing & hammering everything down, but remembered to do it in less than 24hrs because I got distracted somehow, so I took the exam anyway to see what would happen and to try not to waste my $$... ended up failing by 12 points.. 12!! You live and you learn... Oh well. I knocked it out the the following week. Forget the exact score now but it was over 900.
    I see you're going for the CCIE... whatz your game plan?

You can find my study plan here: Hour 0: CCNP and Study Plan | RoutingNull0 - The Network Engineer Path
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wow nice work - tough certification!
    Dieg0M wrote: »
    That was meant for the CCIE but I see you have a link there also for that.

*Edit*: I see that what you linked IS for the CCIE... but titled 'CCNP and Study Plan'....(?)
    That was meant for the CCIE but I see you have a link there also for that.

*Edit*: I see that what you linked IS for the CCIE... but titled 'CCNP and Study Plan'....(?)

I announced that I passed CCNP that day and made a study plan for CCIE. Are you thinking of pursuing CCIE?
    Dieg0M wrote: »
    I announced that I passed CCNP that day and made a study plan for CCIE. Are you thinking of pursuing CCIE?
    It's a thought but not much more than that at this point. While I wallow in the idea of being an expert at something and also being one a very few of something in the world, I'd like to actually work at a CCNP level or even a deep CCNA level before taking a swing at the CCIE, otherwise there's no real point in going that distance just yet. Plus, my brain hurts and needs a break from network training icon_shaking.gif . If I have to learn another acronym....... crash.gif
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I'd like to actually work at a CCNP level or even a deep CCNA level before taking a swing at the CCIE, otherwise there's no real point in going that distance just yet.

What you can do for now is look at the type of job descriptions you'd want to have one day, and work at those not-so-technical skills: project management, writing, presentations, etc. If you work in a particular sector, learn more about it.

If it's any consolation, I can confidently report that you can sharpen your networking skills without getting a CCIE.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    instant000 wrote: »
    What you can do for now is look at the type of job descriptions you'd want to have one day, and work at those not-so-technical skills: project management, writing, presentations, etc. If you work in a particular sector, learn more about it.

If it's any consolation, I can confidently report that you can sharpen your networking skills without getting a CCIE.

Hope this helps.
    I see you have the CISSP... I had actually started that as well earlier this year but, of course, the Cisco studies can be a bit dominant and time consuming so I put it aside to finish that. What's your experience so far holding the CISSP? Was it hard to obtain? How was the process? Are you currently working in network/info security?

All this certification started (from the CCNA on) from trying to get back into school for a Graduate program for INCS (Info Netwk & Computer Security) but not being able to because of all kinds of general college & other technical crap I would have to go through, & all the money and time it would have taken... and wasted. So, rather than the waste, I did my own education and so far it's paying off (time-wise, at least) and the CISSP was also a target.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Very impressive to see how quickly you knocked the exams out. Good luck on your future endeavors!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All this certification started (from the CCNA on) from trying to get back into school for a Graduate program for INCS (Info Netwk & Computer Security) but not being able to because of all kinds of general college & other technical crap I would have to go through, & all the money and time it would have taken... and wasted. So, rather than the waste, I did my own education and so far it's paying off (time-wise, at least) and the CISSP was also a target.

IMHO, a CCNP is like getting a bachelor's degree any day. I have a B.A. and I think the study is certainly equivalent minus all the entrenched bureacracy. And I think it can pay as much as well, unless a specific job just requires a bachelors (some do, unfortunately).
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • steveyeungsteveyeung Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congratulations! icon_cheers.gif i'm jealous of you.[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, san-serif] [/FONT]icon_twisted.gif

i just passed the ccna on 14th, and am studying the ccnp routing now. anyway i can find some lab
    simulations on routing?
  • RouterroninRouterronin Banned Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Passed the TSHOOT exam. It was fairly easy, however, I believe I had a bug in my exam seeing how one question didn't make sense with the answers provided, or at least how they were presented. I've heard of this before so hopefully what I selected was the correct way to answer. Did Chris Bryant's video courses and Kindle guides, lots of review and labbing, took the ROUTE exam first (twice - forgot to reschedule and wasn't quite ready yet, so I took it anyway & failed), then the SWITCH, then TSHOOT. Started sometime last year actually, and ended up losing some focus and taking a detour, but actively picked it back up again sometime around May/June and just went pretty hard & ended up taking all three exams over a three week period. I'm gonna take a long break now and then see what I'll do next. Maybe in the meantime I'll try a new language or something... but I will surely emphasize the LONG BREAK part. This took a lot out of me. All in all, a very productive year for me! icon_cool.gif
    Good job, friend!
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Congrats on your NP nice work!!
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi