New Job - Need to get CISSP

j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
I was recently just offered a job working in info sec, which I am extremely excited about. I definitely didn't think I would be breaking into this field so quickly. I have officially only been working in IT for about a year, so this is a huge achievement for me and a reflection of my determination and work ethic (I worked in the entertainment industry for about 8 years prior to this change).

Anyways, my new job has dangled an incentive in front of me with a 10% salary increase once I get my CISSP, so my adventure is about to begin. I have read a bunch of posts here and have decided to start with the Eric Conrad book due to its content being more focused and way less wordy. I was wondering if anyone has used any video training to complement the book? If so I'd love to hear some feedback.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• SpacedSpaced Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!

Will your boss accept the associate version since I think you need five years of security experience in the CISSP domains to receive the full version?
    WGU: BSIT - Network Administration
  • clouderclouder Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had a deadline with a new job to pass CISSP in order to keep it. I used the CBT Nuggets videos in addition to the Conrad books and those served me well. Just got my endorsement finalized the other day, actually. Good luck!

EDIT: He's right, you do need 5 years, though you can get one year waived with your current certs.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It's five years of verifiable professional work experience in at least two of the ten CISSP CBK domains for full certification. Your Security+ cert will waive one year of required experience.
  • j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    Thanks for the replies. The company knows that I will be at the Associate level until I get the required experience. Its really more for the knowledge at this point in time. As some of you have stated I think I will only need 4 years of relevant experience since I have certs that will take a year off. I have also been in a Systems Architect role I for almost a year so I think I can use that as experience as well.
  • HumbeHumbe Member Posts: 202
    10% incentive only???

Hopefully you are currently making 6 figures.
  • j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    Definitely not making 6 figs. As I stated, I've only been in IT for a year. 10% seems very fair to me. I will still need 4 years experience to be full CISSP.
  • HumbeHumbe Member Posts: 202
    As long as your workplace pays for the books, certification, and even boot camp.... you should go for it.