Against all odds: CISSP one and done!

JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
First, I'd like to thank everyone in the CISSP forum as all of the threads and posts have been a tremendous help in this journey.

This has been a long and tough journey in passing the CISSP. It started about a year or so ago when I bought the CISSP AIO boxed set (ended up not using) and then the Conrad CISSP Study Guide. I started studying but ended up having to put the CISSP on the back burner as my bachelors degree was becoming more demanding with the difficult quant classes, and then my second daughter was born in November last year. In the beginning of this year I started my last course of my degree, which happened to be the second most difficult course. I graduated in May and immediately started over on my CISSP studies. Since then I dealt with the sale of our old house, finding a new place here in Tampa, and moving. In addition I also started somewhat mandatory overtime at work for the next couple of months. Study time was at a premium but I read about half a chapter in the Conrad book each day. I finished the Conrad Study Guide in about a month. I then moved on to reading the 11th Hour Study Guide as a more concise version of the full Study Guide. I also had a sub to the CCCure quiz engine, and purchased the Transcender practice exams. I did about 1000 practice questions between the two, however I felt the CCCure engine was too technical and the Transcender was ok but had a lot of questions set up with many multiple choice answers, which was unlike the real exam with its four choices. But the Transcender was ok. About three weeks out from testing I bought the Studiscope to see where I was at with regards to being ready, and to get a preview of what I could expect the questions to be like. I can say they did prepare me a little bit for what to expect, but I don't know if they are worth the price premium.

Back at the end of August I had to schedule the exam for September 24th, due to needing to get it done with so I can move on to other things. I ended up having to wake up an hour early before work to get study time in, which honestly isn't much study time. But that's what I had to work with. Then my wife and I had to go to NYC for a wedding two weeks ago, and this past weekend was my daughters third birthday so those two weekends I did not have any study time. On top of that, I hit that brick wall that I've read about here. Just not being able to focus or study and feeling burnt out. To top it all off I ended up getting sick this past weekend and was really sick this past Monday and Tuesday (my test day). The night before the test I barely slept and felt awful, especially upon waking. I lost a lot of my planned study time due to not feeling well and I thought for sure I was going to waste $600. During the test I was just not feeling 100% but tried to stay focused and took two water breaks to stretch my legs and recompose myself. I ended up finishing in 4 hours due to needing to rush the pace a little since I wasn't feeling great. I got the printout and folded it, waited till I got to the car and when I saw the congratulations I felt a huge wave of relief. It still hasn't fully hit me that with everything that happened and the slow pace of study as well as limited study time, I was able to pass.

Here is the short list of what I used to study:

Eric Conrad CISSP Study Guide (Read through once. Good book)
Eric Conrad CISSP 11th Hour Study Guide (Read about two times. Good book and to the point)
CCCure Questions (Barely used)
Transcender (Took about 800 questions through it. Ok resource)
Studiscope (Did all 3 exams. Good gauge of readiness and prep for some exam questions. Not sure if worth $$$$)

Total amount of study time and level of preparedness was not as much as I wanted, but I felt hopeful I would have a chance if only because I am an excellent test taker.

As for what's next, I was hoping to do CISM but I cant budget the exam, membership, and study materials for the December test. I've got the ITIL Foundations Essentials exam prep book and will knock that out in the next few weeks. Then in the pipeline I have CEH, CCNA Security, in no particular order.
Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
Next Up:​ OSCP
Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework

Comments

• chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Congratulations !
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• joedainjoedain Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I sit for my test tomorrow...I hit the wall last week :/
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome. Congratulations, my friend!
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats. Was one of the studiscope exams better then the others?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    congrats. Was one of the studiscope exams better then the others?

I think #3 was the toughest and it's the one I got the lowest scores on. You can also use the promo code SAVE20%ONSCOPE on the complete set of three, bringing to total price down even more.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • moyondizvomoyondizvo Member Posts: 155
    Awesome success story...Congrats icon_cheers.gif
  • j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    Congrats on the pass! Thanks for sharing your study materials and method.
  • LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I am studying for my cissp as well, exam 18 oct. I have both studiscope and cccure. Studiscope exam question is about the same as cccure. All taken from old books. I have also took GISP prior to CISSP exam, i would say GISP questions is up to date. Not sure if it is related to CISSP exam. But since I can claim from my company when I pass my exam. Extra practice helps.
  • sweetsaintsweetsaint Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!
    its was great work from you.
    Best of luck for the rest man.
  • plitz2791plitz2791 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! I'm sitting for the exam October 10th. Thanks for the list of resources you used.
  • ThistlebackThistleback Member Posts: 151
    Congratulations on your pass! It's funny, you said you waited until you were in the car to see what the printout said. So many people say that - every time I read it, I picture myself doing that too! (I had to wait the agonizing six weeks for PBT results) Nice work with all you had going on in your life!
    Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I'm officially a CISSP!!!!!icon_cheers.gif

Just got the email from ISC2 and it could not have come at a better time. I'm about to go on an job app spree!
  • BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    Congrats Jojocal19! :) I know that feeling and it is a good one! :)
  • theroamingjoetheroamingjoe Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!

Your secret decoder ring should be in the mail shortly. :)
  • mailkcmailkc Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. Can someone please guide me in that if the RFC numbers need to be remembered. I see in some of the practice books they give you a RFC/standard number asking for the title of the document? NIACAP/DIACAP and other US laws/standards? are they supposed to be tested in the exam? Appreciate help! Thanks.