Two weeks to CEH 7

WagnaardWagnaard Member Posts: 124
Am kind of nervous. I've read the All in One book, skimmed through books no NMAP, wire shark, and basic TCP/IP, am doing the Bosun test questions and Matt Welker's test questions. Set up a basic test lab to do stuff like port scans, pack sniffing and things.

Am I missing antyhign? It is an expensive exam, and I'm taking it mainly because the DoD made it a marketable one. Don't wanna blow all that money and fail. Any advice? Anything I should have been doing?

Comments

• TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good Luck! I'm sitting the CEHv8 in 5 days! :)
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    Be sure you know Snort rules, hping, netcat, and how TCP/IP communications work (know the flags and sequence of communication).
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Become very familiar with NMAP command switches.
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Be able to identify an attack or malicious activity both by output (pcap) and visually.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Here is my preparation thread for it.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ec-council-ceh-chfi/73167-passed-c-eh-v7.html

Hope this helps!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    Knowing your ports and protocols will be essential as well.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • WagnaardWagnaard Member Posts: 124
    Thanks for your advice guys.
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    Best of luck !
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

I got a 69. Needed a 70. Don't know quite where I went wrong, wish the summary said something along the lines of FAIL and a breakdown of which areas I fared poorly in rather than just FAIL.

Whoever wrote the questions could benefit from a few ESL classes, since the grammar and sentence construction was poor in many cases. Though I don't think I failed because of that.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sorry to hear. Planning on retaking?
    I'm thinking I could pass it if I retook it. I just don't know if it is worth the expense. Part of me wants to restudy and kick its ass just to make me feel better. I have the time and money for these certs right now, I may not in the future, so I suppose I should do it.
    If something stood out as foreign or unsure to you, I'd recommended studying on those subjects again. Might seem obvious but it might be enough to get you to 70%.
    interestingly enough, at least five of the questions were straight off the Bosun test exams. That was nice.