SWITCH book recommendation?

Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
For those of you who've passed SWITCH, what would you cousider the best study book for this? I know Lammle has a great CCNA book, and maybe his CCNP book for SWITCH is just as good?

Also, I bought the Cisco SWITCH book right after it came out about two years ago or so. The test hasn't changed since then, has it? Just wondering if the textbook may have changed, also.

Comments

• f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are really two books that people go with as far as the meat of the material for CCNP switch. Neither one is amazing, but they're decent. The two books are "Implementing Cisco IP Switched Networks, FLG" and the Official Cert Guide (OCG). The most popular one to go with is the OCG since the FLG seems to have quite a few errors in it.

I say that with one caveat: Don't rely on only one resource. Pick up a couple of books from different authors.
  • Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll look at those, thanks.

Has anyone used the "Cisco CCNP SWITCH Simplified (Version I)" book to study with? I see it's favored much more than Cisco's book.
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Only books i;d recommend are How To Master CCNP Switch and Chris Bryant's ebook.

I have the CCNP Switch Simplified but to be honest I found it hard going and very dry in general. Has a few good bits. for example its explanation of first hop redundancy protocols are the best part imo.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Chris Bryant's eBook is very good! Pair that with CCNP Switch Simplified and you should be good to go.
  • Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
    FloOz wrote: »
    Chris Bryant's eBook is very good! Pair that with CCNP Switch Simplified and you should be good to go.

Since the Bryant book is a Kindle edition, I assume that it can also be read online without having a physical Kindle? I work where we can't read books in our down-time, but we can read off the computer. And speaking of Kindles - I don't have one but do have an iPad. What are the pluses/minuses of a Kindle compared to an iPad if I wanted to catch up on my cert reading?
  • mitch179mitch179 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just install the kindle app on your iPad, it's quite good!
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cat5 wrote: »
    Since the Bryant book is a Kindle edition, I assume that it can also be read online without having a physical Kindle? I work where we can't read books in our down-time, but we can read off the computer. And speaking of Kindles - I don't have one but do have an iPad. What are the pluses/minuses of a Kindle compared to an iPad if I wanted to catch up on my cert reading?

I have the Simplified and 101 Labs books on my Samsung Galaxy S4. I read them in the Kindle App. I can also read them on my laptop or tablet if I have access to them.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There is a kindle app that you can install on your PC for free if you do not own a tablet.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    f0rgiv3n wrote: »
    There are really two books that people go with as far as the meat of the material for CCNP switch. Neither one is amazing, but they're decent. The two books are "Implementing Cisco IP Switched Networks, FLG" and the Official Cert Guide (OCG). The most popular one to go with is the OCG since the FLG seems to have quite a few errors in it.

I say that with one caveat: Don't rely on only one resource. Pick up a couple of books from different authors.

I totally agree with not centering yourself to one resource. I've used 3 books so far with Route! :D:D:D

I was initially thinking of going the OCG route and Simplified for reading resources.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi