Trainsignal thoughts

knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
Hi Guys,

I've looked at trainsignal today for some videos and I see they have this new $49 a month thing, has anyone used this? You have a 3 day trial so I will try that, I just would like to know what you guys think.

Regards
70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

Comments

• jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personally I love Trainsignal.

Have a look at Pluralsight - Hardcore Developer Training though - they just acquired Trainsignal so you get their library plus Trainsignal ones for $29 (or $49 including offline viewing).

So you potentially pay less for the same, and more, videos.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    Have you used Pluralsight?

• dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    Agreed trainsignal is great especially well worth the monthly subs I think. I was aware of puralsight (or whatever its called) joining with trainsignal but didn't realise I could switch to their subs service and get the same for less. I'll have to look into that. Thanks.
    New Trainsignal subscription service review | vhorizon
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    knownhero wrote: »
    Have you used Pluralsight?

Using it at the moment ... And yes, all Trainsignal courses are included ... plus a lot more ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
    Just signed up to Pluralsight 10 day free trail. See how it goes

• TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Using TrainSignal as well, definitely love their content. They seem to release something new every week... Now that they're acquired by PluralSight, you'll also get access to the developer content.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    knownhero wrote: »
    Just signed up to Pluralsight 10 day free trail. See how it goes

I have been a member of PluralSight for nearly 3 years now. They have helped my career in so many ways that I honestly could not imagine working in Web Development/SharePoint/SQL Server without them.

Make sure you look at the PowerShell and SQL Server courses as well.
    I have been a member of PluralSight for nearly 3 years now. They have helped my career in so many ways that I honestly could not imagine working in Web Development/SharePoint/SQL Server without them.

Make sure you look at the PowerShell and SQL Server courses as well.

I'm liking what I see. This looks to be worth every penny

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I started Trainsignal last week to help accelerate my MCSA 2008 and 2012 efforts (or lack thereof, as has been the case in the recent past). No excuses now.

I'm pretty happy so far. I like being able to take the videos with me offline and listen in my car over lunch. In the case of the 2008 videos, a lot of it is review for me, and I'm skipping the areas that I feel I'm already an expert. So I don't have a good feel for how it would work for someone starting their Microsoft journey from scratch.

The main reason why I chose to move forward with TrainSignal is because of all the practice exams that are included with the subscription.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    I actually have both Trainsignal and CBT currently. Its tough because the access to Pluralsight is a real plus - but Trainsignal doesn't seem to have the labs like CBT.

Thoughts?
    Explain the labs, please. I know they have access to Transcender practice tests, I did not know they had labs, though.
  • MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    @RobertKaucher

For CBT , at least the 70-642 they provide you with "NuggetLabs" (located under the video player). For example the addressing parts have Questions and Answers for subnetting. (I have't gone too deep into the labs, so I don't know how hands on they are)

I notice with Trainsignal they don't really have these for the same 70-642 series. However; the Pluralsight developer content seems to have exercises and the like.

I figured I'd pick up both of them for a few months, compare ..and drop the one I used the least
    Yes, the developer courses do an I believe there are some extras for the TrainSignal stuff. But my work only pays for the basic subscription... The word on the Twitters is that all of the trainSignal and PeepCode courses will be available by mid October.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was pleased to see that CBT nuggets now come with the train signal test exams. In fact it gives you the CBT videos, labs, flash cards and trainsignal practic exams.

Played with the exams and was impressed, really get you thinking.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    You mean Transcender. icon_wink.gif
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    K
    You mean Transcender. icon_wink.gif

Reminder to self not to impluse post after 10 hours drive down the country with a child being sick! :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    I am amending my previous review of the Trainsignal product (now that Pluralsight has taken over). It has all been moved over to a new portal, and the site blows chunks compared to the ease of use when it was TrainSignal. Also, they eliminated all of the practice exams without any warning, but are charging the same price. I've let my subscription expire.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    From what I was told by their technical support they are in the process of recreating all of the tests to work with their new module. You're right about the new website being horrible though. The trainsignal interface was so much better.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
    They have been working on a new UI for a long time now. If they would stop acquiring companies and get the site done it would be great. But I must say even the crappy site is worth the $30 subscription level.
    Shdwmage wrote: »
    From what I was told by their technical support they are in the process of recreating all of the tests to work with their new module. You're right about the new website being horrible though. The trainsignal interface was so much better.

My understanding based on reading their forums is that the Transcender tests that were previously included with Trainsignal are gone forever; instead they are creating "assessments" of the content that is in the course that are not really geared toward exam prep. Which is fine, but I really wanted the exam prep.
    IT guy since 12/00